• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cyburbia
    • Aug 2001
    • 3.7.x

VPS options for Big Board-sized vBulletin site with moderate traffic

A bit of a background:

My site is currently on a 1GB VPS hosted nby Liquid Web. I've been with them for about three years, was always happy with their support, and recommended them to others. However, two weeks ago, I started getting massive load spikes; into the high double digit range. No amount of httpd or my.cnf tweaks or database optimizations would stop it. The spikes came with no increase in traffic; in fact, traffic has been steady for the past two years. I beefed up my robots.txt and .htaccess files to stop obnoxious spiders, along with Configserver firewall for WHM (blocking all traffic from Russia, China, Ukraine, Belarus, and the Philippines), and still it didn't help. (I'm having problems installing the script eva2000 now requires to gather stats for optimization requests, and requests using the old cut-and-paste-the-results-from-shell-commands method are no longer answered. )

So, I'm wondering ... do I need a 2GB server for a vBulletin "big board" (~600,000 posts since 1996) that gets 100-120 visitors in a 15 minute period peak, 70-100 through the workday, 25 to 70 off-peak/weekends? Liquid Web support says "yes". Still, eight years ago, when my message board was at its peak, with about twice the activity as today, it did okay on shared hosting. Is there anything more I should be asking of them?

If I decide to leave Liquid Web, I'd be looking for a VPS from a host with US- or Canada-based servers and tech support, who isn't a reseller, and who doesn't knowingly host spammers, spam proxies, and the like. I'd prefer a host based in the Great Lakes region, Northeastern US, or southern Ontario. I like the Liquid Web model; their servers aren't in a city that's remote from their offices.
    Last edited by cyburbia; Wed 12 Sep '12, 6:20pm.
    Cyburbia Forums - a third place for urban planners
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums
  • royo
    • Jan 2005
    • 3.7.x

With the extra RAM, make sure you're also getting more CPU power, as it seems that's what you're lacking. Can you handle managing your own VPS, or do you need a managed service?
    Oppressed.

Comment

• George L
      Former vBulletin Support
      • May 2000
      • 3.8.x

Best to figure out how to use my mysqlmymonlite.sh script for reasons outlined in various stickies at

Once you have it working it takes <12 seconds to grab stats saving alot more time.

Script also provides more info for me to base my optimisation recommendations on. Without such info, it would be pointless to provide any server hardware recommendations as they may not be adequate for your needs, thus wasting your money.
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• betterthanyours
        • May 2012

Liquidweb always try to throw a vps down people's throats. In your case obviously an upgrade.

They "offered" me a VPS after asking them to block baidu spider and also the known hacking bot hn.kd.ny.dsl

If you can manage your own server, stop paying their extortionate fees. 50$ for managed 1gb 1 CPU VPS when you can get 3gb 4 cpu VPS for 18$ per month.
        http://www.unrealkillers.com | unrealtournament 1999 | siege | combogib | bunnytrack | instagib ctf

Comment

• alemcherry
          • Jun 2006

I do not think you need to upgrade, your current configuration *should* be good enough for that kind of load. But obviously it isn't. Changing the host need not help, a similar configuration VPS is going to perform same everywhere The real solution would be to find the real reason for increase in load. Is there any plugins that you recently installed / any changes you made to the configuration? Is there any pattern to the load spikes, like it happens at same time every day?

I know it is not easy, but you may need to find the real reason behind why it started acting strange.

If you really want to move, You may take a look at wiredtree. They get great reviews here, I don't know the location etc. matches your requirements. URLJet is managed vb host - good but expensive - which you may not need.
          Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

• betterthanyours
            • May 2012

Knowing liquidweb...they're just trying to bleed the customer before trying to find the real cause. It would be better if the OP went with a better host such as wiredtree as you mentioned.
            http://www.unrealkillers.com | unrealtournament 1999 | siege | combogib | bunnytrack | instagib ctf

Comment

• Aolyis
              • Oct 2012
              • 4.2.X

You really need to try to find people with the same hosting as you have, and with the same load, compare, possibly your "account" operator distributes the load ...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...