• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Lester
    • Jul 2000
    • 4.1.x

Considiring moving to another host

Hi all

Current host is hostmonster (since Aug 2011) and I have been fairly happy with their service for the first 8 months or so. Recent events have left me quite angry and sorry that we ever moved to them.

I've gone through a bunch of threads here and still haven't decided on where to go (if we move). So far the top 2 runners are vpslatch and 1&1. However before we actually move I have one main question. With it only being a year since we moved to hostmonster (from a dedicated server), would it hurt our rankings if we moved again so soon? As a follow up question, would it be better if we moved again this early vs waiting to become "more established"?
    BrainTalk is a support group for friends, family, caregivers, and patients with neurological disorders and other health related diagnosis.

BrainTalk Communities Inc
    sigpic
  • DirtRider
    • Apr 2009
    • 4.2.X

1&1 I dropped them after only a month or so as they just sucked all round. Support was a joke

Comment

• Andy
      • Jan 2002
      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by John Lester
      With it only being a year since we moved to hostmonster (from a dedicated server), would it hurt our rankings if we moved again so soon? As a follow up question, would it be better if we moved again this early vs waiting to become "more established"?
      Moving to another web hosting service doesn't effect rankings unless you're changing the domain name.

Comment

• John Lester
        • Jul 2000
        • 4.1.x

Good to know Andy ty I was thinking as much, but since I wasn't sure it was safer to ask and look like a noob Thanks DirtrRder for the feedback about 1&1
        BrainTalk is a support group for friends, family, caregivers, and patients with neurological disorders and other health related diagnosis.

sigpic

Comment

• Amaury
          • Mar 2012
          • 4.2.X

We use Blue Host, and we're happy with them.
          Former vBulletin user

Comment

• John Lester
            • Jul 2000
            • 4.1.x

Ok I'm now looking at knownhost as well. We can't stay on a shared server we're far to big for that. Does anyone have any experience running a vb forum with 60K members and just under 500K posts with either knownhost, vpslatch, or nimbushosting? If so which plan are you on and do you experience a lot of "slow queries"?

sigpic

Comment

• Ace
              • Apr 2004
              • 4.2.X

I would be interested to see something to support Andy's claim that moving hosts(and usually, changing IP address) has no impact on Search Engine Rankings.

It's been shown that Google takes things like length of domain registration into account, so is there not a possibility that jumping from IP to IP would indicate something other than stability?
              My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
              vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• John Lester
                • Jul 2000
                • 4.1.x

Well after reading a few articles online, Andy is correct. As long as you don't change the host country (ie move from us to uk hosting) switching hosts doesn't have a very big impact on your seo. I'm almost set on making the move to knownhost, still would like to hear from someone with a large forum that is hosted with them to provide some input.

sigpic

Comment

• Dustin L.
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by John Lester
                  Ok I'm now looking at knownhost as well. We can't stay on a shared server we're far to big for that. Does anyone have any experience running a vb forum with 60K members and just under 500K posts with either knownhost, vpslatch, or nimbushosting? If so which plan are you on and do you experience a lot of "slow queries"?
                  I've heard nothing but good things about Nimbus, KnownHost, URLJet, and personally, I use and love 1&1.

Dustin
                  http://quikmsg.net/strtoupper/ - Convert lowercase text and code to all uppercase!
                  http://quikmsg.net/strtolower/ - Convert uppercase text and code to all lowercase!

Comment

• John Lester
                    • Jul 2000
                    • 4.1.x

How big are you forums?

sigpic

Comment

• cbiweb
                      • Apr 2004
                      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Dustin L.
                      I've heard nothing but good things about Nimbus, ...URLJet, ....
                      Ditto. In fact, one of my sites moved to Nimbus this past week, and what a difference! I don't have any experience with the others that Dustin mentioned, so I can't comment.
                      ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• Jedito
                        • May 2001

As long as you keep the server up while you move to a different host, your ranking should be affected.
                        Downtown Host LLC - Shared Web Hosting - Offering the best service since 2001.
                        LiteSpeed Support - Vbulletin Optimized servers

Comment

• alemcherry
                          • Jun 2006

Changing hosting will not affect your ranking. But make sure that you don't go to a worse host - 1&1 is definitely not better than Hostmonster. Bluehost is same as Hostmonster, so drop that as well. URLJet is good, if you don't mind the price. Liquidweb is also good, again not as cheap as Hostmonster.
                          Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

• Big Dan
                            • Jun 2006
                            • 4.2.X

I've been extremely happy with Mike over @ MDD Hosting. I've had a reseller account with him for well over a year now and he's always on the ball. I just started a VPS with him to run my biggest forum and he's been very helpful every step of the way.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...