X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MPESGT01
    • Oct 2010

Kind of lost - Moving hosting for a popular mid-size website

Looking for help or answers

I am driving a medium size website that is popular, highest peak during winter and low in summer. Many thousands of visitors in the peak season. It is a web-magazine and a community. That site is at the moment build with Wordpress3.1 and PhpBB3. (My present host is php4, so i am moving to php5 to make upgrades)

I saw godaddy 4GH hosting while surfing the web, then 1and1... and then Wordpress suggestion hosters. They look like this, see below.
    • Which one to look at ?
    • Which one to not look at ?

• Extra question : Is Wordpress 3.4 and latest vBulletin (because I am switching) can now be use as "hosted" solution, meaning not have to download and install them but just rent them at a monthly plan online ?

Godaddy (I already have an active account there) : 4GH, 4-12$/month, lots of space, enough emails, enough databases, unlimited bandwith

1and1 : 4$-10$/month, unlimited space and traffic, enough emails and databases

Dreamhost : 7$/mo, unlimited all

Bluehost : 4-7$/mo, unlimited all

Mediatemple : 20$/mo, 100gb storage, 1tb transfer
  • MPESGT01
    • Oct 2010

4 days... 0 answers !! :-( Is it often like that here ? because i was looking to switch forum plateform for yours...

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

You're asking for hosting help which is slightly unrelated to vBulletin.

I would avoid Godaddy at all costs. 1&1 give customers problems from time to time.

Comment

• alemcherry
        • Jun 2006

4GH I assume is some sort of cloud hosting, so it should take care of traffic spikes and relatively larger sites must be okay. Also most of the technolgogies you need are supported.

However, as zachery said, Godaddy is not the best choice when it comes to hosting. You may go through these threads on WP forum to get an idea.

Support » Fixing WordPress » GoDaddy 4GH – EXTREMELY SLOW GoDaddy 4GH – EXTREMELY SLOW gotmike (@gotmike) 12 years, 2 months ago We recently switched to the 4GH Hosting with…

Support » Everything else WordPress » Godaddy 4GH Deluxe for WordPress: Not a good choice Godaddy 4GH Deluxe for WordPress: Not a good choice Anonymous User 8073195 (@anonymized-8073195…

Personally I have only shared / VPS experience with them and it was not as bad as the general opinion about the host. May be myself being a technical person helped.
        Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

• testerv
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Zachery
          You're asking for hosting help which is slightly unrelated to vBulletin.

I would avoid Godaddy at all costs. 1&1 give customers problems from time to time.

Has anyone an opinion on Namecheap's hosting?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...