What is the server requirements for vbulletin hosting and what should I look for to be a good webmaster

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brad Padgett
    • Jul 2014
    • 5.1.x

What is the server requirements for vbulletin hosting and what should I look for to be a good webmaster

I need to know the exact requirements to run a good vbulletin site. And also perks that will help with the overall flow. I have a small investment in this and am hoping to earn some extra cash with a premium subscription service so I want things to run smoothly.

Please explain what the server needs to be able to handle. In numbers and anyway you can assist in my purchase.

The plan I'm looking at right now has this:

- 2 CPU (2.67 GHz each)

- 1 GB of RAM

- 1 TB bandwidth

- 25 GB disk space

Is this enough to hold the database (25 GB) if this is all my site will be besides css design, images, and small things of this nature. The disk space is one thing I'm worried about. Not sure if this will be enough. For example, let's say for 5 years. What amount of disk space would I need if I had a fair amount of members. Enough to have activity every day.

Also is the RAM and CPU enough to do the job. I saw another post that said I would need 2 GB of memory. The plan doesn't say how much memory I'll have but I'll be looking for that too.

Let me know what you think is best. Thanks community!
    "Do not go where the path may lead, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • donald1234
    • Oct 2011
    • 4.1.x

That is fine for a new forum (providing that PHP and MYSQL meet min requirements) although you are right to worry about the small hard drive, depending on how quickly your forum grows and what type (text or images) you may find that gets used up quickly. Check if the hard disk is upgradable.

Comment

• Brad Padgett
      • Jul 2014
      • 5.1.x

There are plans I can upgrade to. Right now all I can afford is what I shared with you.

Anyone have insight into the other specs and if they are enough?

I plan on upgrading once the forum grows. That should be no problem. But I think 25 GB can last me at least a year.

"Do not go where the path may lead, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• donald1234
        • Oct 2011
        • 4.1.x

A VPS is overkill for a new forum, I would advise a cheaper shared hosting package to begin with and save some cash. Then upgrade as your community (and advertising revenue) grows.

Comment

• Brad Padgett
          • Jul 2014
          • 5.1.x

Bump

Anyone else have any advice? I need to know numbers. On ram and cpu... etc

Let me know

Comment

• Brad Padgett
            • Jul 2014
            • 5.1.x

Well it's been over 48 hours so I'll bump again.

bump, bump bump.

Can anyone tell me what the requirements are?

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

You can run vBulletin on a toaster if it can run apache and php. Do you have PHP 5.4 MySQL 5.6 and a webserver that runs PHP or can talk to a php daemon? Then you can run vBulletin.

Do you want vBulletin to run well? How much money do you have ? How many users do you expect online on average? At burst? Do you expect your users to upload a lot of content?
              Are you going to be able to administrate the server yourself entirely? Do you need control panel software?

Comment

• Brad Padgett
                • Jul 2014
                • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                You can run vBulletin on a toaster if it can run apache and php. Do you have PHP 5.4 MySQL 5.6 and a webserver that runs PHP or can talk to a php daemon? Then you can run vBulletin.

Do you want vBulletin to run well? How much money do you have ? How many users do you expect online on average? At burst? Do you expect your users to upload a lot of content?
                Are you going to be able to administrate the server yourself entirely? Do you need control panel software?
                I have php 5.4 and mysqli

I expect a lot of users. High traffic to say the least. I do not expect users to upload more then an avatar and signature. I will have other moderators and occasional admins.

I will use cpanel and whm. Money is enough for a vps. What do you recommend? Just message me when your comfortable with time, I know you stay busy.

Comment

• webmastersun
                  • Oct 2013
                  • 4.2.X

I think you should go with a VPS
                  - 4 CPUs (2.67 GHz each) - 4 GB of RAM - 10 TB bandwidth - 500 GB disk space
                  it will be better for a forum and for your websites to host on.
                  Best Internet Marketing Forum & Webmaster Forum for webmasters and Internet Marketers discussing and trading!

Comment

• Brad Padgett
                    • Jul 2014
                    • 5.1.x

Originally posted by webmastersun
                    I think you should go with a VPS
                    - 4 CPUs (2.67 GHz each) - 4 GB of RAM - 10 TB bandwidth - 500 GB disk space
                    it will be better for a forum and for your websites to host on.
                    Thank you, though I have decided to go with shared for now. I currently have a fair amount of bandwidth right at 400 gb and disk space 25 gb.

That's perfect for starting out. 10 TB is where I will be at when I have a numerous user base with a large community. The sites still in development at the moment.

I believe that amount of bw will hold quite a bit of users until it's time to upgrade. Thanks for your response.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...