X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kung
    • May 2007
    • 3.6.x

Pretty active forum - need reliable host

We signed up with ThePlanet back in 2009 or 2010; I would say that @ that time, we probably had about 1.5mil posts @ that time, not sure how many users.

Now, we have about 3.3mil posts, 32K members, of which about 3500 are regular active members. I've been optimizing our db, the site, etc., but regardless of what I do, memory usage remains high (uses all but about 500Mb of our 4Gb, even at normal times).

Currently we're on a Xeon X3450 with 4Gb RAM, 2x250Gb 7200RPM SATAs, etc. with Softlayer (who, as I'm sure we all know, got bought out).

First consideration of course is memory and reliability; we'll be paring down our posts/users, tweaking some more, and doing other things (e.g., moving the db to its own hard drive), but being as we JUST moved to TP (and then SL) 2 or 3 years ago, the last thing I want to do is have to do this AGAIN in another year or two.

SO....any recommendations? Want to stay under $200/month; the server will pretty much be fully unmanaged (or managed by myself and another admin), with the exception of odd problems, of course.
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Speak to Tim at Nimbus Hosting - www.nimbushosting.co.uk.

Absolutely no other host I'd ever use.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Kung
      • May 2007
      • 3.6.x

Even if we're located in the US? Not that it probably matters (although support calls would be fun - I guess that's what email/chat/Skype are for LOL).

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Kung
        Even if we're located in the US? Not that it probably matters (although support calls would be fun - I guess that's what email/chat/Skype are for LOL).
        They do host internationally, shouldn't be an issue.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Kung
          • May 2007
          • 3.6.x

Sweet - well, I've fired off an email to them. We shall see what they have to say.

Comment

• syrus.xl
            • Jun 2005

US based URLJet is the main managed forum webhost for vBulletin. You would need to email them about unmanaged packages, I don't think they are advertised on their website.

Comment

• donald1234
              • Oct 2011
              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by syrus.xl
              US based URLJet is the main managed forum webhost for vBulletin. You would need to email them about unmanaged packages, I don't think they are advertised on their website.
              They are quite expensive for vps though compared to nimbus.

Comment

• motowebmaster
                • Mar 2006
                • 3.5.x

Look around for dedicated servers that are on "special". One of my servers is such a machine with an average dual-core processor, but it has a fast drive and 8gig of RAM - at much less than $200 per month.

I enjoyed my time at SoftLayer, even though their servers would experience unusual hardrive crashes, I liked the features and level of support before they were sold out.
                Shawn

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...