Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdCotaFan
    • Feb 2012

Need server help

I plan on starting a community on v bulletin I have no idea where or what type of server I would need.

Size would be from 2-5 thousand members with about a max of 5-600 members online at one time on average.

I honestly have no clue what type of hosting I would need to be able to support a community this size.

I know I need to be free of errors and lag, the main reason I'm looking into doing this myself was the slow, laggy and constant errors from the old site.

Any help will be appreciated,

Chris
  • socceronly
    • Nov 2009
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by EdCotaFan
    I plan on starting a community on v bulletin I have no idea where or what type of server I would need.

Size would be from 2-5 thousand members with about a max of 5-600 members online at one time on average.

I honestly have no clue what type of hosting I would need to be able to support a community this size.

I know I need to be free of errors and lag, the main reason I'm looking into doing this myself was the slow, laggy and constant errors from the old site.

Chris
    I don't think you need to spend a lot there. Unless you have some mods that eat up resources.

My server is almost 4 years old. It runs two vBulletin sites with about a million page views per month, and gets over 300 people online on occasion.

I would think any server you got today that was decent should handle that just fine.

By decent I mean like 75 bux a month or something. You don't need some monster and pay a lot of money.
    Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

• Irishcream
      • Jun 2011

a look at dedicated servers which 1paket and atom-hosting provide.
      They have provided affordable dedicated servers with many resources.

Comment

• Denis Black
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by EdCotaFan

Chris
        hi you can try with 2 cores ... 4 gb ram ... 100 gb Hdd or more ...

Comment

• hostingyou
          • Jan 2012

I wouldn't start with anything less then a Quad Xeon 3440 or alike, that way when your site does grow you won't have to move it anywhere, You can get this server for about $200-300 a month with 8gb of ram, and heck you can probably even host a few dozen of your friends sites, or start more sites.

Whats your budget, that would tell you really where you can go, and be in.

Comment

• alemcherry
            • Jun 2006

500-600 users online should fit into a top end VPS or a mid dedicated server. I personally recommend a dedi with 4 GB RAM. You may try softlayer if you want a self managed dedi, Liquidweb / Wiredtree for a managed dedi or VPS.
            Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

• hostingyou
              • Jan 2012

I would of recommended softlayer a year ago but they went downhill and purchased theplanet.com just google them and you will see hundreds of people had problems, like if you get large traffic spikes they will null your ip for 24 hours and you can't get it removed early.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...