X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cricko
    • Nov 2007
    • 4.1.x

Server problems

Hi any thoughts on this guys before I jump in the deep end and upgrade to something that is in all honesty is a bit over the top for us and very expensive over our current set-up.Will this upgrade get rid of the problems?

I am being told we need to upgrade to a dedicated setup with 14GB ram and 300GB SAS hard drives with Cloud ....Because of the amount data we hold the MSQL keeps crashing and for some reason the tables get corrupted which kills the site..(I am just telling you what they have told me BTW) We collasped about 4 times in one week with the same problem and before that we were told our old chatroom (flashchat) was causing leaks on the server and this also crashed the site on various occasions..I changed the chatroom to Blabchat because of that and all seened fine for a while.....We are getting about 800 individual members who visit the forums on a daily basis and our data as you can imagine is quite big now (Threads 65,511-Posts1,315,136-Members3,793-Active Members1,582) www.shrimperzone.com

I just want to make sure that whatever we do now will keep us up to date for a long time and we kill these pesky problems once and for all,well for a good time anyway. What do you think?

I hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for any help.
  • Ace
    • Apr 2004
    • 4.2.X

Holy crap, 300G SAS drives? 14G of RAM? That would be pretty powerful.
    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• KevinL
      • Apr 2005
      • 3.8.x

Go for it!
      HostAtom.net - Forum Hosting at it's best! Email [email protected] and find out more!
      Cpanel, Softaculous, LiteSpeed, CloudLinux, Daily R1Soft backups, 24x7 Server monitoring

Comment

• syrus.xl
        • Jun 2005

I would contact URLJet firstly - have a word with them, since they manage vBulletin forums and many are way higher than the stats you stated. On their frontpage is a list of just a few of whom they manage and host.

Comment

• alemcherry
          • Jun 2006

14 GB RAM .. That sounds too much. Your site should do good with 4 GB RAM, except for the chat.

Honestly I have managed sites with 1500 users online at a time and with 500K registered members, on a 6 GB RAM server with 100GB or so SAS Disk. Your site is just too small in comparison and should not need anything remotely close to your suggested configuration.

Ofcourse, the chat can take much more resources than the VB site. May be you need to disable it / get a separate server for the chat. You should also be able to optimize it / get a lighter one / configure it to take much less resources, somthing like increasing the refresh frequency.

In any case, separate it from your main server, so that even if the chat server crashes, your main server is not affected. Also you will be able to see if the chat module is worth the money / efforts.
          Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...