Liquidweb has let me down....move to hostgator or wiretree?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • funinbc
    • Jan 2006

Liquidweb has let me down....move to hostgator or wiretree?

Trying to upgrade my forum to 4.18 has been impossible with Liquidweb. I’m paying $50/month for their VPS server but they now say they will no longer support this and ONLY if I pay $120 more a year will my VBulletin run on their new VPS. We are a small local non-profit website and the most users we have on at a time is around 60

I have been with them for more than 5 years but I really feel that Liquid web has let me down. They have no interest in the little guy. My only choice if I want to stay with them is to pay the higher fee.

Now I’m looking around and Hostgator or wiretree.

Customer service is VERY important because I’m learning as I go and need support to be there right away if there is a problem.

Which host should I use? Is there another better option than the two listed?

Oh and for the record Liquidweb has always had great customer service….till now Trying to upgrade my forum to 4.18 has been impossible with Liquidweb. I’m paying $50/month for their VPS server but they now say they will no longer support this and ONLY if I pay $120 more a year will my VBulletin run on their new VPS. We are a small local non-profit website and the most users we have on at a time is around 60

I have been with them for more than 5 years but I really feel that Liquid web has let me down. They have no interest in the little guy. My only choice if I want to stay with them is to pay the higher fee.

Now I’m looking around and Hostgator or wiretree.

Customer service is VERY important because I’m learning as I go and need support to be there right away if there is a problem.

Which host should I use? Is there another better option than the two listed?

Oh and for the record Liquidweb has always had great customer service….till now
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

If Customer Service is very important to you then you should go with a Managed VPS System. Make sure it is truly managed though. I didn't have a good experience with Hostgator in the past. Serveint and Knownhost were both good. Currently at Knownhost. Haven't used Wiredtree in the past.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• funinbc
      • Jan 2006

I checked out knownhost. They do not have a phone number to contact for helpdesk....only an e-mail

to me that's not very good support

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

I suppose. Have never called a hosting company before. Easier to simply email and get an answer in a couple of minutes. That is my experience with knownhost. Difficult to relay technical information over the phone in my experience. Good Luck.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• KevinL
          • Apr 2005
          • 3.8.x

What was the actual issue with the upgrade? You should be able to run vBulletin on their legacy equipment.

Also, you do not NEED to upgrade if you do not want to. They are just trying to move people to their new equipment.
          HostAtom.net - Forum Hosting at it's best! Email [email protected] and find out more!
          Cpanel, Softaculous, LiteSpeed, CloudLinux, Daily R1Soft backups, 24x7 Server monitoring

Comment

• wat3v3r
            • Jun 2008
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by funinbc
            I checked out knownhost. They do not have a phone number to contact for helpdesk....only an e-mail

to me that's not very good support
            umm http://www.knownhost.com/contact.html

There is your number and the support is quite good. Reply to all your tickets in less than 10 mins (usually 5 mins).

Between did you ask why Liquidweb asked you to move to a more expensive server? Ask them the reason and try to solve why it is happening as having having 60 users on simultaneously is not much. You may have a badly configured addon on your vb, i once had one and it used to create a lot of temp tables in mysql making our load go really up.
            Last edited by wat3v3r; Fri 25 Nov '11, 9:22pm.

Comment

• AusPhotography
              • Nov 2007

We use a L4 VPS at hostgator, works well
              environment: Centos 6.9, Apache v2.4.25, PHP 5.6.30/xCache, MariaDB 10.22 -- vB5 Connect Licensed

AusPhotography - Australia's Premier Photographic Forum vB4.2.3
              Rick (site owner) and Kym (site tech) sharing this account

Comment

• leonidasbourne
                • Nov 2011

yes, mostly it can decide on base of service and first ask to three to four different different dealers and see distance and service, financial budget also, than after select options, get live opinion for three to four live users also.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by wat3v3r
                  Between did you ask why Liquidweb asked you to move to a more expensive server? Ask them the reason and try to solve why it is happening as having having 60 users on simultaneously is not much. You may have a badly configured addon on your vb, i once had one and it used to create a lot of temp tables in mysql making our load go really up.
                  They probably want to upgrade servers for security and performance purposes. She stated she is running 3.6 which wouldn't be able to run on a server with newer PHP and MySQL installed. If I was a hosting company, I'd charge more to allow customers to continue using outdated equipment and software.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                    • Sep 2008

From my experience with them in the past... considering I overheard three of the phone techs talking about clients like idiots within earshot of the phone and how they have botched two clients sites of mine, one majorly when they were upgrading servers I would say it's safe to assume they *may not* know what they're doing 100% of the time. This is from personal experience, well that and having what seems to be 120% hearing, what I heard back then made it my last call to them ever .

HostGator or URLJet, I've never had a issue with either of them but LiquidWeb, Siteground, and many more seem to be owned by the same "lack there of".

Former vBulletin Support Staff
                    Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
                    Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• IcEWoLF
                      • Jul 2008
                      • 4.1.x

Wiredtree hands down.
                      Their customer service is very good.
                      You will fall in love with their control panel and the monitoring services they offer on control panel.
                      Very accurate too.
                      The 47 Ronin Gaming - www.47r-squad.com

Comment

• hackrepair
                        • Nov 2011
                        • 4.1.x

If you looking for security as well as customer service, try TVC.Net. They even do free real-time malware scanning, so if you are hacked you'll be notified the moment it occurs.

Enjoy!

Comment

• alemcherry
                          • Jun 2006

I guess wiredtree is a better option for VPS.
                          However, I do not understand why you need to pay Liqduidweb for upgrading your forum. You must be able to do it yourself or much cheaper by a freelancer. Forum upgrade is not hosting related work and hosts would charge a fixed / hourly rate which is higher than what you would pay elsewhere. The best option is to stay with Liquidweb and get someone else to upgrade the forum.
                          Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

• Allthumbz
                            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by alemcherry
                            I guess wiredtree is a better option for VPS.
                            However, I do not understand why you need to pay Liqduidweb for upgrading your forum. You must be able to do it yourself or much cheaper by a freelancer. Forum upgrade is not hosting related work and hosts would charge a fixed / hourly rate which is higher than what you would pay elsewhere. The best option is to stay with Liquidweb and get someone else to upgrade the forum.
                            I just joined LIQUIDWEB, UGH, what a mistake!

Their PHP Maximum file download size is ONLY 2M. And they will NOT change it!
                            So if you have DownloadsII installed, your users cannot upload anything larger than 2M, which is VERY small.

It sucks! And they want to sell you a smartserver for $60 in order to get the limit lifted!

Nelson
                            Nelson
                            www.Hobby-Machinist.com

Comment

• alpha
                              • May 2001

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                              I suppose. Have never called a hosting company before. Easier to simply email and get an answer in a couple of minutes. That is my experience with knownhost. Difficult to relay technical information over the phone in my experience. Good Luck.
                              Agreed with Wayne. A phone number is nice to report issues like a server being down or network outage where you basically let them know of a problem and get confirmation that they are working on it. When it comes down to technical issues, I'd rather have the tech support working on fixing the problem instead of fielding phone calls.

(Edit: Wow, didn't realize this thread was from 2011.)
                              Last edited by alpha; Thu 21 Jun '12, 11:00am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...