Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hwallace
    • Oct 2000

Anyone hosting themselves via DSL?

For the cost of dedicated hosting I could increase the speed of my current DSL line to 768 or 1.1 and host my site from my home office. Anyone consider this?

I am about to launch two different sites. One will have high traffic with vBulletin as the core application. The other will have low, mostly email, traffic.
  • JimF
    • May 2000

We host our own sites for work. We have 5 sites that we host, with very low traffic, and they run fine. We are planning on launching an e-commerce site for one of our subsidiaries, so we are upgrading our server, but no plans are in place to upgrade our connection. We'll be upgrading based on need. I believe our SDSL line is at about 720 - due to limitations set by distance.

Feel free to check out one of our sites, which is still in development, but it will give you a general feel for the speed:

Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

Also, a larger site, but is way overdue for a redesign is at: http://www.ocmp.org (Warning - It's a cemetery)

As I said, none get much traffic, but there is a UBB that runs well on the Miele.org site. Not that it is used much, or at all.

The speed isn't too bad. Make sure you have a decent router, would be my main suggestion.

-jim

Comment

• hwallace
      • Oct 2000

I had to ask?!!!

It figures. I have had DSL for almost a year and not one outage. I was beginning to think I could increase the speed and host my web site from here until traffic grew...

The outage started last night sometime after midnight and continued until a few hours ago. It is back up but running very slow...

Guess I will be looking for a shared or dedicated hosting server now!

Comment

• Dave#
        • Jul 2000

There are a whole raft of issues here basically

a) Does your provider allow you to host websites on your line and provide IP's etc
        b) Security
        c) Hardware issues

It's certainly possible but it is complex
        http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

• Susan
          • May 2000

Not to mention, that you'd never be able to leave the house again! (Okay, for junkies like me, that may be a plus..."Sorry honey, I can't go to that new Jackie Chan movie with you, I have to watch the server!")

Comment

• SonnetCelestial
            • May 2000

*shivers...*

Jackie Chan! :P

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
              • Jun 2000
              • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Susan
              "Sorry honey, I can't go to that new Jackie Chan movie with you, I have to watch the server!"
              LOL Susan!

That would be me!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...