Click image for larger version

Name:	cflatest.png
Views:	1
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	3685992

Comment

• syrus.xl
      • Jun 2005

I used to use Cloudflare free service, but then I did some heavy development work on my site so I removed it, so I did not have to keep switching Cloudflare off. Once I finished doing the main development work and installed an SSL, that's when I hit an issue. They do not allow any website that uses SSL on the main domain unless you purchase their Pro service.

Hence, I dropped Cloudflare... $20 a month for their Pro service is more expensive than other paid CDN's!!!

Comment

• AlexanderT
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by syrus.xl
        Hence, I dropped Cloudflare... $20 a month for their Pro service is more expensive than other paid CDN's!!!
        The pricing I find curious. $20 / month can be a lot, or very little, and it probably depends on the traffic you have. Does Cloudflare not distinguish between sites with 1,000 users versus sites with 100,000,000 users?

Other CDN services (we use Edgecast, which is quite expensive) always charge by the traffic.

Comment

• motowebmaster
          • Mar 2006
          • 3.5.x

I found it best to not allow Cloudflare to minify any files on a vbulletin site. There are options already available to take advantage of compression at your server level, which will do plenty. As long as Cloudflare is replicating the js and css on their systems, your users are gaining the benefit.

If you use features on your site that require valid IP Addresses, there are a couple ways to resolve the issue. I prefer to modify the vbulletin code, but have seen others use the server-config approach with good results.

Cloudflare is a new technology/service, and I have been a part of their growing pains. Users can be perplexed at times by how the service works, especially when their computers are compromised or exhibit inadequate security.

However, the service has several benefits - even over traditional CDN services that may cost less. I haven't been negatively impacted by my decision to use Cloudflare, but understand how experiences/opinions can differ.
          Shawn

Comment

• prandah
            • Jan 2011
            • 4.1.x

interesting with free
            i just install it
            so waiting report from 2 - 5 days
            forum freedom

Comment

• sross
              • Mar 2004

Ok, sadly I have had to bail on Cloudfire, for now anyways. Just too many unexplained anomalies, best described as micro-outages at random times for random forum members. Maybe they will get things more stable in the near future and I'll give it another go. If you do decide to use them I suggest using pingdom and some aggressive server monitoring.

Comment

• prandah
                • Jan 2011
                • 4.1.x

i have remove my cloudflare
                i use it my pageview currently down
                forum freedom

Comment

• IcEWoLF
                  • Jul 2008
                  • 4.1.x

Originally posted by syrus.xl
                  I used to use Cloudflare free service, but then I did some heavy development work on my site so I removed it, so I did not have to keep switching Cloudflare off. Once I finished doing the main development work and installed an SSL, that's when I hit an issue. They do not allow any website that uses SSL on the main domain unless you purchase their Pro service.

Yep.
                  I use EdgeCast CDN (way better than MaxCDN) a bit more expensive, but much more reliable, and very fast!
                  The 47 Ronin Gaming - www.47r-squad.com

Comment

• MagicMike
                    • Mar 2010

The problem when i used cloudflare was that when users uploaded huge images ( or other attachments, videos for example)
                    i got an error.

I was using the cloudflare's free service and not using vb with it!

It was that bad that i had to remove the setting from my site again.

Not sure if they have removed the post size limit now or that you have to pay for that feature.

No go for me!

Comment

• GoHighVoltage
                      • Dec 2010
                      • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                      It sounds like they're capturing usage data, could be wrong though. But I wouldn't put it past a company doing something for nothing

That is exactly what they are doing. They collect the usage data, and they do SELL It. They also, if they think an IP doesn't meet their parameters, they send people to a landing page, where they have to enter a captcha to get to your site. The landing page is full of advertisements for Cloudflare, trying to get people to buy antivirus software, which cloudflare makes money on. The landing pages tells your visitor that it has detected they have a virus and should buy this software to clean it up.

No Way! You are allowing them to track and record everything your visitors are doing on your site. They say they "protect" YOUR PRIVACY, but then it says everything that is used and tracked by Cloudflare through their service is THEIR property and THEY own it. So basically they can do whatever they want with your statistics.

There is nothing free, they have a motive behind it, don't believe anything different. Plus, I don't want people trying to visit my site, that are legit, being told they have a virus and need to buy software.
                      Last edited by GoHighVoltage; Thu 24 Nov '11, 6:42am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...