• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NotAvailable
    • Jun 2013
    • 4.2.X

Hosting for a new forum

Hello everybody,

I am about to build a new forum based on vBulletin 4.2, and looking for hosting.
    I contacted Nimbus Hosting due to the positive reviews here, and their service was indeed excellent but they are too pricey for me at the beginning. Also there are 2 things that Nimbus offers that I consider to be cons (but unsure about that since I know nothing about it) - the Plesk control panel and the lack of backups. I am referring to the Whirlwind plan.
    Besides, I am completely new to this hosting business and I find it hard to justify cloud VPS storage when I see web hosting options starting at less than 5$/month, and considering that this is a new forum.
    What is your suggestion?
    Does this: http://www.euro-space.net/cheap-hosting-europe (EURO STANDART) fit my needs as a start? Compatible with vBulletin? When it says "Hosted Domains: 400" and "Host Multiple Websites (Click "click here to see all hosting features"): 400", it means I can't have more than 400 pages, say 500 threads in my forum?

Thank you very much, appreciate your help.
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

You get what you pay for. I wouldn't try to host a VB4 or VB5 forum on some less than $5 a month hosting plan. You are asking for problems, timeouts, database errors, etc... You'll never know if it is really your fault or just a bad oversold server you are on.

Quality hosts tend to be $10 to $15 a month and go up from there. That is just my experience. But we often get tickets of people wondering why their forum is so slow or not working at all on super-cheap or even free hosts. It's because all hosting is not the same. The less you are paying the more sites they cram onto one server to turn a profit, it's basic math.

No- hosted Domains: 400 doesn't mean 400 pages, it means up to 400 domains on one account. (You could have 400 separate websites on 1 account)

Comment

• TravelTalk
      • Jun 2013
      • 4.2.X

I agree with Joe here. I mean yeah I hope to Grow my Forum in time, but i will not start out with a shared server.
      If they find me and join my site, I want them to have no problems from the start.

Just My 2 cents

Comment

• NotAvailable
        • Jun 2013
        • 4.2.X

Thank you both for the replies. I am surprised actually, becuase the reviews of euro-space josting are mostly positive, and in other threads here and other forums people actually recommend starting with shared hosting for a new forum... Do you think I should go with a better plan (the 5 euro one, EURO BUSINESS) or just VPS hosting? any recommendations?
        thanks a lot.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
          • Jul 2008

I'm all for shared hosts for a new forum, I use one myself, but don't think the cheapest ones you find will be adequate. The 5 Euro one may be decent, I don't have experience with that specific host. Maybe you can ask them if they can tell you the URL of any customers with vBulletin using that plan and you can visit their sites to see if their performance is decent.

Also try searching for info on that host on other websites- there are "webmaster type forums out there were hosting is discussed in more detail than here.

Comment

• NotAvailable
            • Jun 2013
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Joe D.
            I'm all for shared hosts for a new forum, I use one myself, but don't think the cheapest ones you find will be adequate. The 5 Euro one may be decent, I don't have experience with that specific host. Maybe you can ask them if they can tell you the URL of any customers with vBulletin using that plan and you can visit their sites to see if their performance is decent.

Also try searching for info on that host on other websites- there are "webmaster type forums out there were hosting is discussed in more detail than here.
            The reviews are mostly positive and the plans are very affordable yet decent with what they offer, that's why I chose euro-space but I am open for suggestions. I will consult in other forums dedicated to web hosting as well.
            Thank you all, I have my answer for now.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...