Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GuitarsCanada
    • Jan 2006

When to move to VPS or Dedicated Server

I need some advice on what direction to move my forum. I have had two different hosts in the last 3 years and now running into trouble again with load times. He claims I am on a VPS currently however I question that.

But when is it time to make this move to a more expensive server? My growth is steady but not insane. We gain on average 4-5 new members per day. Average around 5000 visitors (unique) per day. Currently 8400 members but around say 20% max active.

Current provider says we have 1GB RAM and that is the issue. Recommends 3GB minimum. All the rest of the parameters are OK in terms of size, space etc. Load times are getting worse. I want to do the best I can for my members but I want to do this one more time and not every 2 years. If I have to spend the money I will but I need to know what is required and not be sold a bunch of stuff that is not required.

Any experience from other owners would be appreciated.
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

Who are you with? And what package do you have with them? I'd certainly look at moving to something with more RAM as soon as possible
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• GuitarsCanada
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
      Who are you with? And what package do you have with them? I'd certainly look at moving to something with more RAM as soon as possible
      Currently with a small outfit owned by one of my members. He rents space down in the states.
      Last edited by GuitarsCanada; Thu 1 Sep '11, 9:25am.

Comment

• CK
        Banned
        • Mar 2010

Why don't you move to cloud based shared, I've recently made the switch and the performance gain is unbelievably noticeable. Should work out cheaper than VPS too. Is there any reason you specifically need vps?

Comment

• GuitarsCanada
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by CK
          Why don't you move to cloud based shared, I've recently made the switch and the performance gain is unbelievably noticeable. Should work out cheaper than VPS too. Is there any reason you specifically need vps?
          No reason for VPS specifically. I am just looking for the right "medium to long term" solution here. I am getting tired of having to address this every year or two. I need people that know what I have and know how to handle it.

Comment

• CK
            Banned
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by GuitarsCanada
            No reason for VPS specifically. I am just looking for the right "medium to long term" solution here. I am getting tired of having to address this every year or two. I need people that know what I have and know how to handle it.
            Go contact Vidahost.com I always use sales@ or support@, you'll either get Dom, Seb or Darren they're all really friendly. If you're in the UK give them a call as It's free phone and listed on the website. I've been with them 3 years now, they'll give you honest advice about what they can offer that's best for you. Tell them CK sent you their way.

Comment

• Shamil.
              • Feb 2008
              • 4.2.X

Where are most of your users located?
              Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
              VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
              vBulletin Hosting and Services
              Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• GuitarsCanada
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Shamil.
                Where are most of your users located?
                90% of the members are in Canada. We do get visitors from all over the world, mainly the states.

Comment

• Dirt Bike Addict
                  • May 2010
                  • 4.1.x

Like CK suggested, I'd look into a dynamic/cloud server solution, especially if you're still growing. We use a Dynamic Cloud server from 1&1 Internet and it's as easy as logging into their adminCP and adding (or removing) more RAM, processor cores, and/or hard disk space. You're files aren't changed in the process. We've already had to do it a few times.

Edit: Here's the link to the cloud server.
                  We're sorry but the page you're looking for is unavailable, was renamed or no longer exists.

Comment

• GuitarsCanada
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Dirt Bike Addict
                    Like CK suggested, I'd look into a dynamic/cloud server solution, especially if you're still growing. We use a Dynamic Cloud server from 1&1 Internet and it's as easy as logging into their adminCP and adding (or removing) more RAM, processor cores, and/or hard disk space. You're files aren't changed in the process. We've already had to do it a few times.

Edit: Here's the link to the cloud server.
                    http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/CloudDynamicServer
                    Sounds good pricing wise but do you need to be an IT expert to manage it? I am pretty good with the software but know almost nothing about servers and management of them

Comment

• CK
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2010

Sounds good pricing wise but do you need to be an IT expert to manage it? I am pretty good with the software but know almost nothing about servers and management of them
                      Comes with Plesk so you should be able to get your site working straight out of the box.

Comment

• GuitarsCanada
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by CK
                        Comes with Plesk so you should be able to get your site working straight out of the box.
                        Do they handle the transfer from the current provider?

Comment

• CK
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2010

Do they handle the transfer from the current provider?
                          Open a support ticket with them, they might do if you ask nicely.

Comment

• Dirt Bike Addict
                            • May 2010
                            • 4.1.x

They're un-managed (have root access), so you'll have to do everything yourself. And yes it comes with Plesk.

Comment

• CK
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2010

If you're wanting hand holding I would strongly point you towards my first suggestion (go for Advanced Shared then once you're signed up ask to be included in the "trial testing")

See here.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...