Globalgold - Tim Dunton has left

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AfterWorldForum
    • Dec 2008

Tim and his team rock. They go well beyond what I would expect from a host, support-wise. I cannot compliment NimbusHosting enough.
    Last edited by AfterWorldForum; Tue 21 Feb '12, 8:25am.

Comment

• wii
      • Sep 2000
      • 3.8.x

Oh yes, Nimbus is great, best host I've ever used in my 16 years online

Comment

• theimforum
        • Aug 2011
        • 4.2.X

Sound good, do they accepts PayPal? How to contact Tim?
        The IM Forum - Where All Internet Marketers Come Together - http://www.theimforum.com

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
          vBulletin Support
          • Aug 2002
          • 5.7.X

100% renewable energy web hosting, 100% UK-based support team, one-game changing platform for WordPress and more. Discover our platform today.
          Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• pvo_dave
            • Sep 2003

and yes, they take PayPal

Comment

• mavortium
              • Apr 2007
              • 4.1.x

GG is now a real POS I'm afraid. I've been with them for several years (check my previous posts and you'll find a big glowing endorsement). My website hasn't grown much since I joined, but the performance has gone down the toilet. Load numbers over 10 almost all the time, but as I said, the number of users really hasn't grown that much (niche hobby site). I'm currently looking for an alternative hosting provider. GG won't see another penny from me.

I spoke to Tim quite a bit on the phone when I initially joined GG and he was a nice chap. I encountered deterioration in service long before he left GG though, it just wasn't as bad as it is now. His new company's prices don't seem competitive to those in the US in my opinion, so for both reasons I won't be following Tim to nimbus. I honestly don't understand how a British company can expect to charge what amounts to 1.5 or more times what the equivalent package costs in the US and be a success, but I am obviously wrong since GG sold to iomart. Must be a strong "British is best" attitude going in the UK still. Bless 'em.
              Last edited by mavortium; Sun 26 Feb '12, 4:16pm.

Comment

• donald1234
                • Oct 2011
                • 4.1.x

Originally posted by mavortium
                GG is now a real POS I'm afraid. I've been with them for several years (check my previous posts and you'll find a big glowing endorsement). My website hasn't grown much since I joined, but the performance has gone down the toilet. Load numbers over 10 almost all the time, but as I said, the number of users really hasn't grown that much (niche hobby site). I'm currently looking for an alternative hosting provider. GG won't see another penny from me.

I spoke to Tim quite a bit on the phone when I initially joined GG and he was a nice chap. I encountered deterioration in service long before he left GG though, it just wasn't as bad as it is now. His new company's prices don't seem competitive to those in the US in my opinion, so for both reasons I won't be following Tim to nimbus. I honestly don't understand how a British company can expect to charge what amounts to 1.5 or more times what the equivalent package costs in the US and be a success, but I am obviously wrong since GG sold to iomart. Must be a strong "British is best" attitude going in the UK still. Bless 'em.
                I thought nimbus prices are quite competative, are you aware prices are for vps and not shared.

Comment

• omenator
                  • Jul 2008
                  • 3.6.x

Came across this while looking for Tim's email to try and get some LONG standing issues resolved. Have to say the customer service has went downhill fast IMO, the latest farce is the company taking their money from a card I removed 3 MONTHS AGO and incurring me charges with my bank because of it, which is still an ongoing issue as no one at the company will take responsibility and actually talk to me about it.

I have had domain transfer issues and server issues over the past 6 months, some times with no replies to my emails whatsoever and left to resolve the issues on my own. I have been with GG for around 5 years now, mainly due to his superb customer service and expertise (also special mention for Katie as well who was always a pleasure to deal with) and to be perfectly honest, the service is just not good enough for me, unfortunately I have just paid 3 months in advance so stuck with them for the time being, however I will be looking to move at the first opportunity. Will probably be to Nimbus just because of the quality and care I had received while he was at the helm at GG

Comment

• McJ
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 3.5.x

His new company's prices don't seem competitive to those in the US in my opinion, so for both reasons I won't be following Tim to nimbus. I honestly don't understand how a British company can expect to charge what amounts to 1.5 or more times what the equivalent package costs in the US and be a success, but I am obviously wrong since GG sold to iomart. Must be a strong "British is best" attitude going in the UK still. Bless 'em.
                    In the end, you get what you pay for mavortium. I do not mind paying a little extra for the level of service Tim offers. Nimbus goes above and beyond the bar IMO. I also have additional services with a major U.S. hosting provider costing the princely sum of 10 bucks per month. While the U.S. hosting provider does serve a purpose, there is absolutely no comparison with Nimbus.

Also, I am very proud to be British.

Comment

• mavortium
                      • Apr 2007
                      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by donald1234
                      I thought nimbus prices are quite competative, are you aware prices are for vps and not shared.
                      Oh yes, quite aware. I think you need to revisit your understanding of what a vps is though. You are sharing hardware, granted within your own sandbox.

Originally posted by McJ
                      In the end, you get what you pay for mavortium. I do not mind paying a little extra for the level of service Tim offers. Nimbus goes above and beyond the bar IMO. I also have additional services with a major U.S. hosting provider costing the princely sum of 10 bucks per month. While the U.S. hosting provider does serve a purpose, there is absolutely no comparison with Nimbus.
                      I once believed that Tim's level of service was worth the extra cost too. That's why I signed up with Global Gold in the first place. It didn't last. I shouldn't have to follow one guy around with my hosting. An MD should instil in his company his own values and they should last. It was his decision to sell to iomart and leave the likes of me stranded there. I think you need to take the rose-tinted glasses off mate.

And when it comes to hosting, I've been running and hosting a forum since Feburary 2001. For the first 2 years I hosted it myself on a linux box I built from the ground up at the IT company where I was a network/unix guru. When I started my postgraduate career in 2003 I moved out to an external hosting company and I've been through a few since then. I know the lay of the land because I know this stuff from the ground up. I just moved to Knownhost from globalgold, on the recommendation of a moderator here and while there's always a honeymoon period, Knownhost is slick and smart in ways I haven't seen before. And my load numbers were never this good at GG, even in the first week. I wish you the best of luck with Tim's new company. I hope he doesn't sell it in a few years time and leave you hanging like he did with GG.

Originally posted by McJ
                      Also, I am very proud to be British.
                      As well you should be mate but I personally feel that one shouldn't limit one's hosting choice to the UK if the pricing is not even vaguely competitive with international product. I compared nimbus' packages to wiredtree, urljet, knownhost, solarvps (where I have another forum), and others, before making my decision.

Comment

• donald1234
                        • Oct 2011
                        • 4.1.x

[QUOTE=mavortium;2271547]Oh yes, quite aware. I think you need to revisit your understanding of what a vps is though. You are sharing hardware, granted within your own sandbox.

Hi, I have a good understanding of what vps is. What I meant was vps is generally more expensive than a shared package, and nimbus hostings vps packages are quite competative cpmpared to other vps packages. Also it is not only patriotic to host in your own country, there is also a speed and seo advantage in hosting in the same country as your target audience.

Comment

• McJ
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 3.5.x

It was his decision to sell to iomart and leave the likes of me stranded there..
                          Hi mavortium.

Your comments are littered with inaccuracies, and the statement above is so far removed from the truth it makes me a little curious of your motives. Axe to grind maybe? The one accurate statement you have made is that it's prudent to shop around. This advice is sound, well done you.

Also, congratulations on your IT accomplishments since 2001. I'm afraid I have another 6 years on you there, but every little helps right?

Comment

• celios
                            • Jul 2010

I'm very glad I found this thread. I've been with Global Gold for around 18 months, and have noticed a very sudden drop off in service after GG were taken over by IOMart. It's got to the point that users are leaving, and visitor numbers are dropping off on my forum due to the outages (usually at night when [a] most of my users visit and [b] GG appear to have no support).

Think I'll be giving Nimbus a try soon.

Comment

• Zeplin
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 3.8.x

I've just stumbled up on this thread and thought id make a post, I signed up to global gold around 3/4 years ago and found it dam refreshing and pretty amazing dealing with main guy on a personal level so for me it was worth the extra cost for hosting and the support was amazing not that we needed any very often, but i had googled Tim before i signed up and read up on how it started up and was amazed he was pretty much hands on so i was very impressed with the guy.

I was pretty gutted to see GG change ownership but never knew what happened to the people i dealt with so it was a nice shock to come across this thread.

As it was a guild forum i closed it in December at GG and stopped using VB and moved the guild to Enjin, this was down to performance getting worse at GG and cost/value ratio with me also not having the time to work on the site as much as id like with the theme/ add-ons and updating due to me modding it got too much when im also running 2 business's.

But i will defiantly be looking at tims new company in future for any projects i have with my VB licence or any other things i do.

Comment

• Leo Brazil
                                • Nov 2007
                                • 3.8.x

I faced excatly the same situation. 6 months in hell, coincidently or not since Tim has left.

I was kind of concerned in doing such migration despite of all the issues with GG because my board is quite popular and getting bigger everyday. But it reached a point that I just can't afford this BS from GG no longer.

I have signed with a Nimbus resellers LISLTD.

Those guys took care of everything and almost 24 hours latter everything was back on again. It took longer to DNS shows up again than the migration itself.

I highly recommend Nimbus.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...