Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nacho Vidal
    • Feb 2011
    • 4.1.x

just a quick update, my forum is now on the Nimbus Tornado VPS plan. I am very pleased with the marked improvement in performance and even my US members have commented on the "snappiness" of the forum!

All good stuff!

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

Nice to see Tim's getting more and more people sign up to his new venture.
      Long may it continue.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• AdrianH
        • Sep 2007

Just got a newsletter from GG, odd since I haven't heard from them for 2+years ......... they are now sold out to /merged with iomart whoever they are.

Comment

• Cricko
          • Nov 2007
          • 4.1.x

Originally posted by AdrianH
          Just got a newsletter from GG, odd since I haven't heard from them for 2+years ......... they are now sold out to /merged with iomart whoever they are.
          I got the same email, but on contacting Tim was told part of his leaving deal was that he cannot take anybody away from GG..I find that odd if the likes of some of you above have managed it ??

Comment

• AdrianH
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Cricko
            I got the same email, but on contacting Tim was told part of his leaving deal was that he cannot take anybody away from GG..I find that odd if the likes of some of you above have managed it ??
            Nuts, He may not be able to approach customers but if they decide to vote with their feet that's another matter.

Comment

• rammieone
              • Aug 2009
              • 3.8.x

We got lucky as just before we went with Gobal Gold i checked this thread and managed to get signed up with Tim

We too are using there Nimbus Tornado VPS plan and will say that for the first time we are 100% happy and so glad to have secured hosting with Tim's Expect Knowledge.
              Much more speedy feel to our forum too and we are now paying less then we did for a lesser hosting plan.

Anyone looking for a New Plan or Change of Host Should check out Nimbus right away and see what Tim and the team Can come up with for there Forums.
              Last edited by Zachery; Sat 31 Dec '11, 5:04pm. Reason: No affilate urls

Comment

• chrisevouk
                • Feb 2012

Its not surprising that some of you are seeing better performance when moving from Global Gold to Nimbus. A past problem at Global Gold was server contention - this coupled with bad XEN configurations, a network without any segregation, and a lovely firewall with an ending rule of "allow any any" (i.e. not actually firewalling anything).

Any customers with problems may contact me directly I'm now part of a vast team at iomart which now controls GG. We have moved all servers into our wholly owned datacentre, boosted bandwidth up to 40GB/s, segregated the network, there is now no packet loss at all. Our experts have also been busy reconfiguring servers to boost performance. More hardware is being added as I type.

Whilst things may have been "choppy" after Tim’s departure, we will soon have Global Gold in better shape than it ever has been or could be before. Feel free to give me a call direct if you have any issues with GG and I'll ensure swift resolution.

Global Gold was great company, it will be even better very soon, and we are behind you all the way!

Chris Evans
                0141 931 6445
                [email protected]

The comments setout above are not necessarily those of iomart Group plc or it subsidiary companies and are made by the author acting alone
                Last edited by Trevor Hannant; Sun 19 Feb '12, 11:31pm. Reason: Removed inflammatory contents

Comment

• pvo_dave
                  • Sep 2003

Chris,

The above sounds like a bit of a cheap shot to be honest, with an air of desperation.

if Tim gets hit by a bus (hopefully he wont)...
                  Loving the subtle "..." might as well have used a smilie... if you can't compete with the competition then you have to hope for public transport to take them out, good luck with that! They rarely arrive where they should on time, let alone detours to mow down competitors lol.

I don't have any axe to grind with GG, I just started to look for a new host once my site started to slow down and discovered Tim had moved on. Incidentally, I rarely even deal with Tim directly any more, I know there are at least two other technicians who have answered the questions I've had (no faults to resolve as yet).

Glad things are improving now with GG, for me though it's too late.

Dave.

Comment

• chrisevouk
                    • Feb 2012

What you've been told is rubbish. If a server has 32GB of RAM and 50 customer all get assigned 2GB each, how can that not overload the server?

What happens is the underlying XEN host starts swaping RAM to its disks and the rising "iowait" causes every host on that server to slow down. Global Gold is being fixed.
                    Last edited by Trevor Hannant; Sun 19 Feb '12, 11:32pm. Reason: Removed Inflammatory contents

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

I agree with Dave;

Chris you appear to be pitching your business hookline as "What if something happens to Tim?". Well all that does is highlight the fact that it was Tim going that made so many of leave GlobalGold in the first place. It's a bit more complicated than a captain not going down with the ship.

Tim's expertise is what makes Nimbus an attractive proposition but it isn't JUST Tim, as has been stated there are others there.

I genuinely wish you luck with turning GG round, but those of us who jumped are lost for good and there's little point pretending otherwise. Our service with GG went downhill so much, so badly, and the response in my case was that my site was using too many resources, you need to buy more, etc...which is exactly the kind of stock nonsense host response I went to GG to get away from in the first place.

As I say good luck with turning GG round, but I think you would be as well focusing on new business because winning us back from Nimbus is frankly not going to happen, I'd put my hat on it.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------

Comment

• Mark.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by chrisevouk
                        What you've been told is rubbish. If a server has 32GB of RAM and 50 customer all get assigned 2GB each, how can that not overload the server?

What happens is the underlying XEN host starts swaping RAM to its disks and the rising "iowait" causes every host on that server to slow down. Global Gold is being fixed.
                        Chris the point is this - yes there was actually a time, under GG when Tim was still there, that the VPS I was on seemed to get overloaded.
                        The thing is, as soon as I got hold of Tim he sorted it. In my case we ended up putting me on another server.

The problem, was that when it later happened again after Tim had gone, GG simply told me my site was using too many resources - which was cobblers - and wanted me to buy more RAM!
                        I could get that type of response (and frequently did!) from cheaper hosts costing half the price. That, more than anything, is what you need to fix. The correct response there and I'd never have researched where Tim had gone and probably would never have left GG. That in fact is the very issue about which I started this thread.
                        Last edited by Trevor Hannant; Sun 19 Feb '12, 11:32pm. Reason: Removed section of quote removed from original post
                        MARK.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        ------------

Comment

• pvo_dave
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by chrisevouk

Who are you replying to here? For someone people will look to as a 'forum expert' (which is a reason a lot of people trust Tim and his company) you seem to have either failed to use the quote function or if it's a reply to me, I'm baffled as I haven't quoted anything Nimbus or GG might have told me.
                          Last edited by Trevor Hannant; Sun 19 Feb '12, 11:33pm. Reason: Removed section of quote removed from original post

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                            vBulletin Support
                            • Aug 2002
                            • 5.7.X

I've removed and edited a few inflammatory posts in this thread...

Chris, please note that this is a Customer Feedback forum for vBulletin customers to give feedback to others on their hosting experiences. This is not a forum for you to take cheap shots at a rival company. If GlobalGold are resolving the issues raised in this thread then by all means, post and say you're resolving these but do not attack others here. Your posting access is a privilege, not a right so please don't abuse this.

For those who've responded, please be mindful of the forum rules when posting. Just because you don't like someone else's post doesn't mean that you have the right to respond in kind - or worse...
                            Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                            - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• McJ
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 3.5.x

My reasons for leaving Global Gold, having been a customer since 2000, were due to a series of technical problems which plagued the service in 2011 compounded by utter incompetence from management. This flair for bad business sense appears to have been passed onto IOMART judging by the flippant comments raised by a member of their staff right here on the official vBulletin forums. What a curious way to offer an olive branch.

Regardless, I wish them all the best.

I am now hosting with NIMBUS and I am very happy. I've known Tim since 1998, he is a rare breed indeed and testiment to how important staying in touch with your clients is.

Comment

• AdrianH
                                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by McJ
                                My reasons for leaving Global Gold, having been a customer since 2000, were due to a series of technical problems which plagued the service in 2011 compounded by utter incompetence from management. This flair for bad business sense appears to have been passed onto IOMART judging by the flippant comments raised by a member of their staff right here on the official vBulletin forums. What a curious way to offer an olive branch.

Regardless, I wish them all the best.

I am now hosting with NIMBUS and I am very happy. I've known Tim since 1998, he is a rare breed indeed and testiment to how important staying in touch with your clients is.
                                Very well put.

You will notice that Tim as ever remains a true professional and refrains from the type of behaviour displayed here by Chris.

All Chris has managed to achieve is to shoot GG and Iomart in the foot with a large self destructive round.

Members of this forum are most certainly not going to be interested in dealing with hosting companies that resort to tacky tactics and cheap shots like this, all you have given the community is further reasons to avoid your company and services.

Well done Sir and thank you for warning us all of your standards.
                                Last edited by AdrianH; Tue 21 Feb '12, 12:45am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...