Need shared hosting with a 'max_user_connections' higher than 25?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crotan
    • Jun 2011
    • 4.2.X

Need shared hosting with a 'max_user_connections' higher than 25?

I'm part of a pretty small gaming community running a forum, we have shared hosting through HostGator, and currently our 'max_user_connections' is set at 25

We seem to be getting hit with your standard, "Too many connections" and "MySQL server has gone away" a lot recently.

We never use to get problems like this, and we've had over 25 members in the past, I feel like HostGator is trying a money grab to get us to upgrade to a VPS, or at least that's what It seems like through our support tickets.

I'm looking for options in the shared hosting range with higher than 25 'max_user_connections' settings, is there anybody on shared hosting that has a setting significantly higher than that? Or is that pretty much your run of the mill on shared hosting .
    sigpic
  • aaraam
    • Oct 2005
    • 3.8.x

check your PM

Comment

• slatts2008
      • Jul 2011

Are you on shared hosting? Generally this means that you have exceeded your hosts allowances.

Comment

• Eliasen
        • Jul 2011
        • 4.1.x

I would suggest that you make a post on this forum:

Post what you need and what your budget is, and I am sure there are many who can help you out .

Comment

• TonnyF
          • Jun 2011

Check out an offer section on WHT.

Comment

• fasterfind
            • Jun 2011

I had the same problem, maxed at 80 with besthost. Later, I upgraded to VPS, however the VPS is slow, unresponsive, requires dedicated tech support, so now I have to pay people to keep the machine running. Terrible situation. Going to VPS should only be done if you personally know Linux and server management. Else, forget about it.

I recommend talking to hosts that are still shared, but offer more max connections, like 500. Ask them.

Comment

• KevinL
              • Apr 2005
              • 3.8.x

Almost no host will offer more then 25 max connections on a shared setup. Once you start using a vps or even a dedi you can change this setting yourself.
              HostAtom.net - Forum Hosting at it's best! Email [email protected] and find out more!
              Cpanel, Softaculous, LiteSpeed, CloudLinux, Daily R1Soft backups, 24x7 Server monitoring

Comment

• fasterfind
                • Jun 2011

I looked around and found one shared host that offered 500. I almost went for it.

When people hit that low limit of about 25 users and learn that they pretty much need a VPS, I think that's where people get to complaining that they need a server administrator. The first VPS I tried couldn't stay online even though a linux user was managing it for me. He didn't have enough server management experience. That was under Linode, where nothing is done for you by the host.

I'm with Besthost now, which takes care of basic setup and defense at least. So I have a server that stays online with better than 20% uptime. My uptime is about 90%. I know I'm getting penalized in google though, and if I want better performance, I need a skilled and experienced server administrator first to take care of the server, and second to take care of vbulletin so it can finally run fully optimized.

It was discouraging that I didn't know what to look for ahead of time when I first began looking for a host. I had no idea how terrible it is to have a VPS or dedicated server if you aren't already an administrator. Seriously, 20% uptime with Linode, and they have a sterling reputation. But you need to know your stuff to make it work.

Comment

• EdQ
                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Crotan
                  I'm part of a pretty small gaming community running a forum, we have shared hosting through HostGator, and currently our 'max_user_connections' is set at 25

We seem to be getting hit with your standard, "Too many connections" and "MySQL server has gone away" a lot recently.

We never use to get problems like this, and we've had over 25 members in the past, I feel like HostGator is trying a money grab to get us to upgrade to a VPS, or at least that's what It seems like through our support tickets.

I'm looking for options in the shared hosting range with higher than 25 'max_user_connections' settings, is there anybody on shared hosting that has a setting significantly higher than that? Or is that pretty much your run of the mill on shared hosting .
                  I just moved from a shared server with HostGator. And never hit that limit with 300 online users.
                  But I agree, they pushed me to a VPS.
                  https://www.ls1.com
                  https://www.lsxspeed.com

Comment

• Deathjam
                    • Aug 2006
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by fasterfind
                    I looked around and found one shared host that offered 500. I almost went for it.

When people hit that low limit of about 25 users and learn that they pretty much need a VPS, I think that's where people get to complaining that they need a server administrator. The first VPS I tried couldn't stay online even though a linux user was managing it for me. He didn't have enough server management experience. That was under Linode, where nothing is done for you by the host.

I'm with Besthost now, which takes care of basic setup and defense at least. So I have a server that stays online with better than 20% uptime. My uptime is about 90%. I know I'm getting penalized in google though, and if I want better performance, I need a skilled and experienced server administrator first to take care of the server, and second to take care of vbulletin so it can finally run fully optimized.

It was discouraging that I didn't know what to look for ahead of time when I first began looking for a host. I had no idea how terrible it is to have a VPS or dedicated server if you aren't already an administrator. Seriously, 20% uptime with Linode, and they have a sterling reputation. But you need to know your stuff to make it work.
                    i'm sorry but your "linux user" friend may have being telling a few porkies about their knowledge of linux. Your right in saying linode don't do anything for you, but that is because it is un-managed.
                    But the people on the linode forum are very helpful, and linode has quite an extensive library covering much of what you need to know, and searching google can get you any other info you may need.

I went from shared hosting to a linode vps without knowing how to run a server or much linux experience (only a brief install of ubuntu desktop, all gui didn't really use the cli) and i managed with my vps for over 1.5 years, now on a unmanaged dedi.

I just looked on my pingdom stats: jan-2010 - jul 2011 i had 99.60% uptime.

Saying you need a sysadmin to run a vps isn't exactly true, you just need to put some effort in and do a bit of reading.
                    My Site: INFJs.com

Comment

• alemcherry
                      • Jun 2006

Maximum 25 connection is good enough for a $10 shared hosting service. It is not the no of users online at a time, which can be much higher. I dont think you will hit that limit with even 250 users online with a 20 min cookie. Either the server is very slow or you are using some hack that is not optimized.
                      Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...