Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Samir
    • Nov 2003
    • 3.8.x

So is it crazy that almost 80% of us have to move from one host to another?
    Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Comment

For my vbulletin forum, i only use one host, wiredtree, from minimum vps to dedicated server now.

Comment

• SticKer13
        • May 2008
        • 4.2.X

I have used 5 web hosts in the last 5 years. For the first 4 years I managed to run my sites on a shared hosting environment however the sites outgrew the shared environment and I had to upgrade to vps. I am quite happy with my current vps host.
        Webmaster Forum - Webmaster Marketplace

Comment

• DelphiVillage
          • Apr 2002
          • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Eliasen
          I am currently settled with a dedicated server from Hetzner.de.
          The server's specifications are as follows:
          CPU: i7 Quad.
          RAM: 8GB DDR3.
          HDD: 1500 GB.
          NOC: 1GB, 100MB dedicated line.

I pay some 51 EUR a month, as I have a few extra IP's.

UPDATE: Hetzner just lowered their setup fee from 149 EUR to 49 EUR, thought I would you all know if you are looking for a dedicated server.
          Hetzner is a hostile spamfriendly host and should be avoided like the pest also Hetzner is an unmanaged host do not let the amount you need to pay fool you lower does not necesarry mean better... lookup how manny times Hetzner ip addresses appaer in antispamdatabases

Comment

• Samir
            • Nov 2003
            • 3.8.x

Well, I've moved and I'm still not happy. Is there no such thing as decent hosts anymore who actually can back up their sales talk with real service? I don't even care if they're in a different country now if the service is better.

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Samir
              Well, I've moved and I'm still not happy. Is there no such thing as decent hosts anymore who actually can back up their sales talk with real service? I don't even care if they're in a different country now if the service is better.
              Who have you hosted with?

Comment

• IcEWoLF
                • Jul 2008
                • 4.1.x

I went through 5 hosts so far.
                I am currently happy with Wiredtree.
                The 47 Ronin Gaming - www.47r-squad.com

Comment

• Samir
                  • Nov 2003
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                  Who have you hosted with?
                  I've sent you a PM.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                    • Jul 2008

I started with SiteGround, they were ok for a few months then they told me I had to upgrade to dedicated from shared, said VPS wasn't even an option. I switched to shared on URLJet and haven't looked back.

Comment

• whitey10tc
                      • Jan 2011
                      • 4.0.x

In 10 months, I've gone through 5 hosts. My latest is fair priced and $10/mo more than the old VPS. We're on a dedicated now. The biggest problem we encountered with the first three were shared hosting, overselling, throttling, horrible customer service. The VPS was a downtime problem and the host kept blaming vbulletin for the problems, until we started digging around and found hardware issues.
                      www.cdmagurus.com
                      www.cellphone-gurus.com

Comment

• Samir
                        • Nov 2003
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by whitey10tc
                        The VPS was a downtime problem and the host kept blaming vbulletin for the problems, until we started digging around and found hardware issues.
                        See, this is the same type of garbage I've run into with each of the hosts I've been with. I'm looking for one that doesn't play this game. Does one exist?

Comment

• dieKetzer
                          • Jun 2000
                          • 1.1.x

my first host was hostway. i was with them for a year and the uptime/performance was great, but they would nickel and dime me for anything possible, such as apache modules, changing php.ini, etc.
                          i spent years with hurricane electric. they were pretty good, but they didnt offer enough bandwidth and would charge pretty steep for going over the allotment. i also didnt have much control over anything and the support was pretty non-existent, and with the increasing number of hosts offering cpanel/plesk, i finally left.
                          i then moved to servage. i had a lot of control via their cp, but performance was a big issue. their support was probably the best i ever encountered though.
                          a mate told me about an outfit called linode. its unmanaged, but the performance and control is outstanding while the price is great. i have been with them a few years now and i have no intention of leaving any time in the foreseeable future.
                          Last edited by dieKetzer; Mon 3 Oct '11, 9:56pm.
                          Into the Void

Comment

• HMBeaty
                            • Mar 2005

After thinking for awhile on this one, I THINK I've remembered all the hosts I've been through.....

1. PowWeb
                            2. Go Daddy
                            3. HostGator
                            4. Global Gold
                            5. ServInt (Current host and VERY satisfied thus far)
                            "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time!"
                            "It's important to only think about what you desire, not what you fear to achieve your ultimate goal!!"
                            "When doors close, tear down the walls. Never give up!"

Comment

• whitey10tc
                              • Jan 2011
                              • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Samir
                              See, this is the same type of garbage I've run into with each of the hosts I've been with. I'm looking for one that doesn't play this game. Does one exist?
                              I can say my current host gogax has had 0 downtime yet. That's a 100% uptime, speeds are comparable, support has been superb, and the price is good. They are located in Canada.
                              www.cdmagurus.com
                              www.cellphone-gurus.com

Comment

• PossumX
                                • Oct 2006
                                • 4.1.x

How Many Hosts Have You Been Through?

Started on shared, don't even remember who. Likely it was iPower, as I host about 30 static sites from there for customers, with no issues.

Went to Spry VPS from there, but the service was pathetic, so, one year later transferred to a VPS on eBoundHost. The VPS was likely fine, but a year after that I upgraded to a dedicated server with them and haven't looked back. Great service for the few tickets I have placed, and 3+ years in, still no worries.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...