X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Samir
    • Nov 2003
    • 3.8.x

How Many Hosts Have You Been Through?

I'm curious as to how many people have had to move hosts every few years for one reason or another. Feel free to list the hosts and how long you were with them and why you left.
    1-2
    37.84%
    3-5
    54.05%
    5+
    8.11%
    Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

I have moved a few times, I was originally with a smaller webhost, it was run by the man who ran vBulletinTEmplates.com. Then after a while I moved to my own dedicated server with ThePlanet. Then I moved to Softlayer, now I am with ASmallOrange on a cloud vps.

Comment

• George L
      Former vBulletin Support
      • May 2000
      • 3.8.x

in past 12yrs, been through a few web hosts

First web host ever used was rackspace.com and then went through a few (8+), now i'm with 2 web hosts wiredtree (approaching 3yrs) and dedicatednow (5+ yrs). All vB forums and wordpress sites are on wiredtree though.
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Samir
        • Nov 2003
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zachery
        I have moved a few times, I was originally with a smaller webhost, it was run by the man who ran vBulletinTEmplates.com. Then after a while I moved to my own dedicated server with ThePlanet. Then I moved to Softlayer, now I am with ASmallOrange on a cloud vps.
        Interesting that you're with ASO too. Have you noticed any difference in the quality of support since Doug bought them out?

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

I'm pretty new to ASO, but so far they've been good to me

Comment

• the1
            • Apr 2011

I've only ever been with one webhost. They have been pretty good for the short time I have been with them.

Comment

• wat3v3r
              • Jun 2008
              • 3.8.x

I first used vbulluetin on Hostgator .. got kicked for using too many resources or something. Moved to another host called Totallyhost stayed for a few years there then grew out of share hosts. Moved to my 1st VPS on Vpslatch, which was again full of problems ~_~

Finally moved to Knownhost and love it there still here and i just plan to upgrade tot heir dedicated servers later if we grow

Comment

• HMBeaty
                • Mar 2005

I'm on my 4th or 5th now. Very happy with this one and don't think I'll be changing again. Unless a similar/better plan comes along that's cheaper lol
                "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time!"
                "It's important to only think about what you desire, not what you fear to achieve your ultimate goal!!"
                "When doors close, tear down the walls. Never give up!"

Comment

• whitey10tc
                  • Jan 2011
                  • 4.0.x

On my 4th, started with shared, now on VPS and will be moving to a dedicated next month.
                  www.cdmagurus.com
                  www.cellphone-gurus.com

Comment

• Eliasen
                    • Jul 2011
                    • 4.1.x

I think I have been though ..sec.. let me count.... .. .. 8 different providers so far (over a period of about 5-6 years).
                    I was satisfied with most of my providers but slowly changed to a bigger and bigger package. Now I am on a dedicated server, and I couldn't go back to a shared hosting plan now, I simply love how I can do whatever I want without getting "angry" emails from my hosting provider's system hehe.

Comment

• Samir
                      • Nov 2003
                      • 3.8.x

What's some of the hosts you 5+ guys have finally settled on and the package type--shared, vps, dedicated?

Comment

• Christie
                        • Oct 2004

First host company we were with was hacked and we lost everything, they even lost the backups, fortunately we had our own backups and were able to use those. Second one was very poor on support and so we moved on.

We are now with ASmallOrange and have been with them for a few years. I doubt any host is perfect, but they have been pretty good. Yes it depends who you get when you send in a support ticket, but my tickets have always been answered quickly, and with the right end result. I have no desire to move again at this moment in time.

Comment

• Eliasen
                          • Jul 2011
                          • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Samir
                          What's some of the hosts you 5+ guys have finally settled on and the package type--shared, vps, dedicated?
                          I am currently settled with a dedicated server from Hetzner.de.
                          The server's specifications are as follows:
                          CPU: i7 Quad.
                          RAM: 8GB DDR3.
                          HDD: 1500 GB.
                          NOC: 1GB, 100MB dedicated line.

I pay some 51 EUR a month, as I have a few extra IP's.

UPDATE: Hetzner just lowered their setup fee from 149 EUR to 49 EUR, thought I would you all know if you are looking for a dedicated server.

Comment

• wat3v3r
                            • Jun 2008
                            • 3.8.x

^hetzner is good but not managed :/ sadly i have no time to manage a server and stuff.

Nvm just noticed they added some managed servers too now

Comment

• Eliasen
                              • Jul 2011
                              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by wat3v3r
                              ^hetzner is good but not managed :/ sadly i have no time to manage a server and stuff.

Nvm just noticed they added some managed servers too now
                              Was juts about to say "But, they do have managed servers" hehe.
                              I love playing around with servers (not that I am good at it thought!) so I do not mind fiddling with it if something goes AWOL. hehe

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...