Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • L.J.
    • Sep 2000

Anyone on Rackspace

How happy are you with all aspects of the service (Uptime, Support etc)
    Do you do your own DNS or do you use theirs?
    If you are hosting multiple accounts I assume you are using name-based hosting.

All feedback appreciated
  • George L
    Former vBulletin Support
    • May 2000
    • 3.8.x

well i believe including me, that there are at least 3 others using rackspace.com

i have been on rackspace.com since end of May 2000. They had old package plans and the newer recent plans blow away my plan

uptime has been great, support tickets and telephone support is fast considering i am in Australia. I have upgraded my server's ram twice since i have been with them from 128MB - 256MB to 384MB...

my problem on my server arise out of mysql database and not the server itself....... anyway mysql default settings don't seem to work with moderately busy vbs

i have my own dns running on my non-essential domains and use rackspace.com dns for some of the more vital domains i run since i have never done dns stuff before, don't want to mess it up out of lack of knowledge

i use webmin to admin the server and use both ip and name based hosting on the 30+ domains on my server now.

:: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• L.J.
      • Sep 2000

Thanks for the quick response.

To follow up on a couple of points.

1) DNS
      I was interested to read that you share DNS between your own and Rackspace. Are you able to add domains to your own DNS via Webmin or do you have to do it manually?

I assume there is a standard request form to ask Rackspace to add DNS - how quickly do they respond to DNS requests?

2) MySQL
      You mentioned problems with MySQL configuration. Is that a general problem or only with the demands of VBulletin.

Did Rackspace install MySQL for you?

Comment

• George L
        Former vBulletin Support
        • May 2000
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by L.J.
        Thanks for the quick response.

To follow up on a couple of points.

1) DNS
        I was interested to read that you share DNS between your own and Rackspace. Are you able to add domains to your own DNS via Webmin or do you have to do it manually?

I assume there is a standard request form to ask Rackspace to add DNS - how quickly do they respond to DNS requests?

2) MySQL
        You mentioned problems with MySQL configuration. Is that a general problem or only with the demands of VBulletin.

Did Rackspace install MySQL for you?

1. well i started off on rackspace using their dns servers, where you would have to put in a dns request using their support tickets, this is done very quickly i remember for 5 domains of mine (only did it once in May/June 2000) - since the first month passed i put in a request to get my own dns running - they said they could do it or i could do it from the support knowledge base (kb) - i wanted to learn so followed the kb and it worked since then i have added 30+ domains & 20+ subdomains to my dns on my server - added another 6 domains yesterday - all on this is done via webmin panel in their bind8 and apache modules and also via their http://wizard.rackspace.com which sets up the bind8 and apache settings to your server if you want it done quickly for domains and/or subdomains

i only wish they had a multi domain setup wizard, cause adding several domains at a time and subdomains is tiresome

2. mysql is probably due to the demands of vbulletin... i am no expert on php/mysql so can't comment that much there...

as to php3/mysql - rackspace installed it for me for free... i had help from chris (mod of the server config forum) in upgrading to php 4.02 and the zend optimiser
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...