• GoHighVoltage
    • Dec 2010
    • 4.2.x

VPS SPECS and Vbulletin

My VPS plan I selected has:

97GB Raid Diskspace,
    1152MB Ram with 4gig burst
    1800GB Bandwidth

I host 5 websites, and then my forum. I plan on hosting more sites as I sell them.

With this configuration, How big/powerful of a forum could I run? How many users at one time, etc?

I know there is a debate on VPS verse Semi-dedicated hosting, but it seems like more people go with VPS. Better choice?
  • Shamil.
    • Feb 2008
    • 4.2.X

I personally prefer VPS servers - they give you control over what's on your server/container.

With this configuration, it's hard to say. Are you running a control panel, such as cPanel or Plesk? What web server will you be using? The overall answer will depend on how active your site is.
    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
    vBulletin Hosting and Services
    Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• GoHighVoltage
      • Dec 2010
      • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Shamil.
      I personally prefer VPS servers - they give you control over what's on your server/container.

With this configuration, it's hard to say. Are you running a control panel, such as cPanel or Plesk? What web server will you be using? The overall answer will depend on how active your site is.
      I have CPANEL with CENTOS.

My site is not very active right now, but hope one day it is.

Comment

• ryan1918
        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by GoHighVoltage
        My VPS plan I selected has:

97GB Raid Diskspace,
        1152MB Ram with 4gig burst
        1800GB Bandwidth

I host 5 websites, and then my forum. I plan on hosting more sites as I sell them.

With this configuration, How big/powerful of a forum could I run? How many users at one time, etc?

I know there is a debate on VPS verse Semi-dedicated hosting, but it seems like more people go with VPS. Better choice?
        I could see you running a dozen or so vBulletin forums with at least a 300-600 people on each forum on at once, including your control panel, and any other services you have running.

But the 1152mb of ram isn't very much for vBulletin it's a hog even with tweaking, so the burstable is good as long as it's available.

It's not that people go with a vps, it's people go with them because they are much cheaper than a dedicated server(most of the time, some people still try to pawn them off as a dedicated server or charge as much as one), I wouldn't suggest counting on hosting a company on a vps server because there is many bad reasons why not and I will list them below, you can take them or don't listen to me, it's your choice.

The reason I tell people never to use them for business, or for starting a company even though it's the cheapest and people think best route in the end it could ruin your business or everything you worked hard for.

Fact is, you don't manage the server, so you have no idea what's going on in the back end, you don't know if it's being oversold, it may run good now, but in a few months it could be running very bad.

You don't know if someone hacks the server and could ruin every vps on it, you don't know how long it could take the company to restore the vps's, account's, or server itself, they could give up and you lose everything, and who knows if they even back up your data because most vps providers don't, so always back up ALWAYS, even if they say 1000000x WE BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA DAILY, because 99% of companies lie and never do and when something goes wrong, they say the backups failed, never worked, corrupt or some sort of lie.

You have to rely on the company for taking care of things, like server maintenance, which means if hardware goes back, they could take several days to fix it which means downtime for your sites/customers, you could get a major ddos attack and could affect all of the vps customers which you have zero control over.

The #1 thing I've seen a ton of times is a hosting company go bunk, what does this mean? THEY DON'T PAY THE BILL or they get behind, or even start getting in the hole by either getting greedy, or after they make so much money they wanna close shop and let the server go, which means one day you could wake up and your server is down, all your customers are down, now they are contacting you, and you contact your host by going to there site, and there domain expired, or is offline, or you email them and you get a error saying domain not found, or alike. So you call them, oh crap the number is disconnected, now your looking like the bad guy because they think it's your fault everything is down.. wait you got backups right? Remember we relied on the daily backups from the host.. wait there not there anymore, and I didn't backup.. what not? YOUR SCREWED.

These are the main reasons why if you plan on starting a business, or even consider it, that these things COULD happen, I'm not saying they would but you have to always consider it. Even if you have to pay a little bit of money more for a few months and than you start profiting and coming ahead, in the end it could pay off, you get to manage everything your self, and you could have a large data center that isn't going to close shop like most hosting companies even large ones I've seen go in the dark in the middle of the night and thousands and thousands of customers are now without everything..

Think about it, in the long run, you will thank me.

-THE END

Comment

• GoHighVoltage
          • Dec 2010
          • 4.2.x

Hi Ryan,
          While I appreciate your post, it didn't make sense at all. Everything you said is not related to my question, and has nothing to do with just "VPS".

Whether you have a VPS, Dedicated Server, Semi-Dedicated Server, or even shared hosting, you run the risk of everything you stated. Every host has the potential to be hacked, or wiped out, or a company to go under.

So other then your recommendation of making backups, which you should do on any hosting situation, I am not following your point.

Anyhow, If anyone else wants to chime in, that is cool.

Comment

• GregUURL
            • May 2010
            • 4.0.x

How many-

Your trying to pin an absolute on a moving target.
            What share of the cpu do you get? What % of the time will the burstable ram be available?
            What sort of plugins and how many are you running...how many data bases are you going to have on the server....All contribute to load and ultimately how many concurrent users the server will handle.
            Greg
            www.urljet.com

Comment

• GoHighVoltage
              • Dec 2010
              • 4.2.x

Good Answer Greg. So with so many variables, the bottom line is go with what I have until I experience a problem.

Comment

• syrus.xl
                • Jun 2005

Hi Ryan,
                While I appreciate your post, it didn't make sense at all. Everything you said is not related to my question, and has nothing to do with just "VPS".

Whether you have a VPS, Dedicated Server, Semi-Dedicated Server, or even shared hosting, you run the risk of everything you stated. Every host has the potential to be hacked, or wiped out, or a company to go under.

So other then your recommendation of making backups, which you should do on any hosting situation, I am not following your point.

Well, it's good for entertainment value!

Comment

• GoHighVoltage
                  • Dec 2010
                  • 4.2.x

Originally posted by syrus.xl
                  Well, it's good for entertainment value!

Too Funny!

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

Your might want to look at higher end vps's. Though a dedicated might not be a bad choice either, depending on what you're willing to pay. Its really up to you and your webhost. Make sure they're willing to acomdate your needs

Comment

• rajubd
                      • Apr 2009
                      • 4.1.x

totall online member at a time? server u are using maybe can handle 200 visitor at a time..
                      MobilePhoneTalk.Com - Mobile Phone Community Powered By EuroVPS.Com

Comment

• ryan1918
                        • Jun 2010

Hi Ryan,

I think I took your post as if you wanted to start a hosting company, maybe you were trying to say host more of your own sites..

Comment

• GoHighVoltage
                          • Dec 2010
                          • 4.2.x

Originally posted by rajubd
                          totall online member at a time? server u are using maybe can handle 200 visitor at a time..
                          I would think with the VPS configuration I have would handle much more then 200 visitors at one time. (Hopefully anyway)

Comment

• ryan1918
                            • Jun 2010

Well several hundred members online at once is not a light load, remember it's using mysql, apache, any other services like control panel.

Just using the basic services like the control panel and services your already at 512mb not even having 1 client, depend which control panel your using, than apache is a resource hog you could go with lightspeed, nginx, or other things which could lower the resources.

Comment

• syrus.xl
                              • Jun 2005

At the moment, I have roughly 120 members online and I'm only hitting 350Mb and that's with mysql, litespeed, memcache, and a few other services running. And that is across one installation of the vBulletin 4 Suite and one IPB Suite...

1/2Gb of RAM with no users online, maybe slightly exaggerated or some serious server misconfiguration.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...