Clear All
  • Rated103
    • Jan 2011

Anyone use godaddy?

If so, what are your thoughts on it?
  • Shamil.
    • Feb 2008
    • 4.2.X

I am informed that GoDaddy isn't great for hosting.
    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
    vBulletin Hosting and Services
    Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• rajubd
      • Apr 2009
      • 4.1.x

godady good for small forum when your visitor pass 2000+ perday they will suspend your account..
      MobilePhoneTalk.Com - Mobile Phone Community Powered By EuroVPS.Com

Comment

• SEOvB.com
        • Oct 2009

We love GoDaddy in terms of their domain management. However, for their hosting, especially shared hosting is just difficult to work with. You have to get approval on many steps of the process (e.g. creating a db, changing ftp access info etc). And it will take you many tries to find a FTP or db name that's not been used by other shared hosting clients. In our opinion, it's way less user friendly than the cPanel oriented hosting. Price wise, GoDaddy is not offering anything special.

Our suggestion to our client is look for cPanel hosting provider first.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        vBulletin Services
        and vBulletin Hosting

Comment

• ryan1918
          • Jun 2010

They aren't good for domains or hosting, stay far away from that awful company, unless you like regretting things.

Comment

• ENF
            • Apr 2002

Using GoDaddy for Domains is fine. Hosting is another matter...

You must read the fine print around two specific issues with GoDaddy:

If you opt for the protected registration package, which includes Anon WHOIS and two other services, your domain is locked tight and you can't change/move the domain until you file a support ticket (along with Picture ID) to have it removed. If you renew a domain, you can't remove the protected registration, you're forced to buy it. If your auto-renew is turned on, you can't turn it off until you unlock the domain through the ticket request... On the upside, as long as you follow the prescribed procedure to unlock the domain, it's usually done with in 24 hours.

Along with the other smaller rules:
            - You must disable private registration before moving your domain.
            - Any changes to the domain info/contacts resets the 60-day timer and therefore you cannot move your domain until the 60-day period is up.

Effectively, if you avoid those pitfalls, GoDaddy for domain registration is OK.

Most people that get screwed with GoDaddy don't read the terms and get upset when they encounter the things I described above. (Then again, those terms and limitations are not exactly flashing in bright RED letters either...)

For the domains I've had at GoDaddy, new domains, transfers in and out have been flawless and smooth. (I don't or wouldn't opt for any extra services.)
            To be updated...

Comment

• ryan1918
              • Jun 2010

yeah don't deal with any of there bs I recommend using, www.moniker.com they are wonderful.

Comment

• riceboi1230
                • Nov 2010
                • 4.1.x

Yeah don't go with GoDaddy. You should go with HostGator.

Comment

• Loco.M
                  • Mar 2005
                  • 3.5.x

domains are fine, always will be
                  hosting sucks, I wouldn't even host a plain html page with them..
                  -- Web Developer for hire
                  ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• GoHighVoltage
                    • Dec 2010
                    • 4.2.x

Godaddy is good for domains, etc. I had their shared hosting, then I "upgraded" to their shared GRID hosting. AWFUL all the way around:

I started out with their shared hosting. For the most part, it was sufficient for what I needed. A couple years ago, I had several domains on the hosting, and created a directory, and forum. My first issue was that my websites were getting "BLOCKED" by spam filters, or corporate
                    surf control. I called Godaddy to complain, and talked to several tech people and even supervisors. They all downplayed it and said it must be something on my website that is causing it. I had nothing wrong with my website. So I did some checking. Here the "shared" server (Ip address) they had me on was with about 1200 other websites. Most of these Websites were virus sharing, high risk sites!!!!!! All through Godaddy. So the way I was able to resolve the issue was getting a Ssl certificate, which I didn't need, but the Ssl certificate was $30 a year and came with a dedicated Ip address. This was cheaper then $3.00 a month for a dedicated Ip. Once I got my dedicated Ip, I had no more surf control or blockage issues. When I confronted Godaddy with a list of known High Risk sites that they host, they acted like they weren't aware of it.

Then:
                    I called Godaddy a year ago to ask about performance issues. Network was slow. The tech support guy I was talking to talked me into "upgrading" to their New Grid Hosting. It was still a shared hosting, but was on a "Grid" of servers and would be much faster, more reliable and better.

I switched to the Grid hosting. Had to move all my sites, directory over the the "new" grid hosting server. What he didn't tell you is that Grid hosting has a whole list of things and scripts that are not compatible. Luckily none were any I used. Speed = No Difference. It was not any faster at all.

After I moved my entire directory over, I found my "directory forum" didn't work any more. I called Godaddy tech support. I spent literally 20 hours combined time on the phone, and about 2 weeks time until I gave up. The directory didn't work any more. Godaddy blamed it on the script and said it was the script's fault. I contacted the scripts developer and he said there was nothing wrong and that it was on Godaddy's server that was causing the issue. I fought and fought with Godaddy and never got past them blaming it on the script, even though I copied it back over to the shared hosting and it worked, and they saw that!!!

I ended up getting another directory script that would work. 3 months later, I turn on the original directory script, and low and behold it worked!! The developer said that Godaddy had problems with the Php setup, which they denied, but they must of found it and fixed it later on. Aghhhh!

And from time to time, weird things would happen. Like files being deleted, or added to my directory? Even folders showing up that were obviously from someone Else's hosting.

I finally switched to JaguarPC VPS hosting. LOVE IT! They are awesome.
                    From my experience, I was really worried about switching all my domains, directory, forum, etc over without down time and having it all set up correctly.

I am pleased to say, that JaguarPC handled everything flawlessly. The transition went smooth as silk and their tech support set everything up perfectly and I had Zero problems, and Zero downtime.

The customer service was awesome, and the tech support was very fast and thorough.
                    Last edited by GoHighVoltage; Fri 28 Jan '11, 9:07am.

Comment

• ryan1918
                      • Jun 2010

godaddy = failure

Comment

• Tariq Rathore
                        • Mar 2008
                        • 3.8.x

goaddy is good for Domain but not for hosting
                        Mortal Kombat Nexus
                        Pleae read before buying Ryan

Comment

• Candela
                          • Jul 2020

I have a VB site with a .net address, I also own a domain name with a .com address from godaddy. I am trying to get more traffic to my site and can't even find my site when I search for it.
                          My question is. Am I better to have a .com domain or keep the VB .net?
                          I see on my cloud console a place to switch domains, Is that a hassle?

Comment

• webmastersun
                            • Oct 2013
                            • 4.2.X

I have some domains at Godaddy but now I mostly use namecheap, it is cheap and pretty quality and support then
                            Best Internet Marketing Forum & Webmaster Forum for webmasters and Internet Marketers discussing and trading!

Comment

• Mohammed Abu Risha
                              • Oct 2017
                              • 5.3.x

When I first hosted my website, I chose GoDaddy. However, after a while things became too sluggish. There were many restrictions also including the number of emails that I could get and other things. I had to quit the entire plan, even though that meant I would lose all the money paid for a three-year hosting and move on with another host. The support service was also very slow to respond.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...