Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xnicnicx
    • Jan 2011

Hosting!

Hey, I'm pretty new to vBulletin but I have been around a forum using this system.

I decided that I would like to host a gaming forums like Ragezone.com or KryptoDev but I can't seem to find what to host the forums on.

Shared or VPS?

I'm not sure of the budget because I have not yet decided the Hosting type.

I have no followers but I can get about 10 - 30 people in about a month.
  • Shamil.
    • Feb 2008
    • 4.2.X

You should go for shared hosting. Be wary of hosting providers that offer 'unlimited' packages though!
    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
    vBulletin Hosting and Services
    Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• rajubd
      • Apr 2009
      • 4.1.x

chose host that provide shared>vps>dedicated upgrade option
      MobilePhoneTalk.Com - Mobile Phone Community Powered By EuroVPS.Com

Comment

• xnicnicx
        • Jan 2011

Yea,, figured that. Any sites that you recommend because I seem to choose the really crappy hosts.

Comment

• ryan1918
          • Jun 2010

What's your budget and what type of features do you want? That would determine what type of host to recommend.

Comment

• xnicnicx
            • Jan 2011

I could have a pretty good budget but I was asking for a starting host and a general Gaming forum.

Comment

• ryan1918
              • Jun 2010

Yeah you don't normally need a vps to start off with, because you can grow as you need it, and go from there.

Comment

• GoHighVoltage
                • Dec 2010
                • 4.2.x

Check out JaguarPC hosting. I have their VPS and am very happy. They have unlimited shared right now for $4.97 a month. Great deal actually.
                Godaddy has good deals on shared hosting as well, if you get a 25% coupon code, but after bad experience with them, I tend not to recommend Godaddy.

Comment

• Shamil.
                  • Feb 2008
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by GoHighVoltage
                  Check out JaguarPC hosting. I have their VPS and am very happy. They have unlimited shared right now for $4.97 a month. Great deal actually.
                  Godaddy has good deals on shared hosting as well, if you get a 25% coupon code, but after bad experience with them, I tend not to recommend Godaddy.
                  What is unlimited shared? Who wants to help me test the unlimited bandwidth and dickspace at JaguarPC?

Found the unlimited limit:

300 GB month / 30 days = 10 GB day (From TOS/AUP).
                  Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                  VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                  vBulletin Hosting and Services
                  Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• ryan1918
                    • Jun 2010

Yeah and unlimited means you know what :P

I love how hosts say "YOU GET UNLIMITED EVERYTHING" then in small print in the tos or elsewhere it says "1 GB PER MONTH" or they find a reason to suspend/cancel your site saying you were hogging resources.

I wish the government would step in and stop allowing hosts to do false advertising, like all legal companies have to follow, why should it be different on the internet, its false advertising even if it states that in the TOS.

Because if as papa johns was sued for "UNLIMITED TOPPINGS" they said max 7 toppings or the pizza wouldn't cook right, well DONT OFFER UNLIMITED THAN, I'm glad someone sued them idiots and I never ordered there again for there false advertising crap.

Government needs to start doing some regulating, very quickly.

Comment

• GoHighVoltage
                      • Dec 2010
                      • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Shamil.
                      What is unlimited shared? Who wants to help me test the unlimited bandwidth and dickspace at JaguarPC?

Found the unlimited limit:

300 GB month / 30 days = 10 GB day (From TOS/AUP).

Hey Shamil, As a friendly correction,

Your information above is incorrect, that was TOS for the normal shared plans/semi-dedicated plans, not the NEW unlimited plan.
                      I am sure with the new plan they just started, that they didn't update the TOS yet.

THe New Unlimited Plan with Jaguarpc is:

Linux Virtual Hosting:
                      Diskspace = Unlimited
                      Data Transfer (Bandwidth) = Unlimited
                      Multi-hosted Domains = Unlimited
                      Domain Parking = Unlimited
                      Sub-Domains = Unlimited
                      MySQL Databases = Unlimited
                      FTP Accounts = Unlimited
                      Email Accounts = Unlimited

Price (monthly)
                      $9.97 (1mo. term)
                      $8.97 (3mo. term)
                      $7.97 (6mo. term)
                      $6.97 (12mo. term)
                      $5.97 (24mo. term)
                      $4.97 (36mo. term)

IF anyone has any questions, I suggest you contact JaguarPC directly. They have been 100% honest and upfront with me and I did many months of research before switching hosts.

I am a JaguarPC customer, and that is the extent of it. I am happy with them, and they have honored everything that was promised.

Like I said, you should contact hosts directory for the terms for the plan you are considering. This is a recommendation from a customer, I am not a hosting reseller.

Wish everyone the best that is looking for a hosting company. All I can say is always get everything in writing, and look at the fine print in everything.

Only choose a company that has been in business for 5 years or more, that actually is a "BUSINESS", and not an individual that is offering a hosting solution. YOu have to make sure to only trust a company that is secure, established with 24/7 support.
                      Last edited by GoHighVoltage; Sat 29 Jan '11, 4:31pm.

Comment

• ryan1918
                        • Jun 2010

I bet any money there is limits, even if they tell you there is no limits they are going to lie to you.. fact is they have limits on the servers and connections they have, so how can you have no limits? makes no sense to someone who knows the back end of things.

Comment

• GoHighVoltage
                          • Dec 2010
                          • 4.2.x

Originally posted by ryan1918
                          I bet any money there is limits, even if they tell you there is no limits they are going to lie to you.. fact is they have limits on the servers and connections they have, so how can you have no limits? makes no sense to someone who knows the back end of things.
                          Why is it that everyone is always liars and idiots? I believe in the good in people, and like I said, I am sure there is limits to everything to prevent out right abuse. There has to be limits of some sort. Normally on a shared hosting plan, they base the UNLIMITED off what a person would normally NEVER use in a shared hosting situation.

This is why I said to contact JaguarPC directly and ask them for the TOS on the Unlimited Plan. I am sure that they would be totally honest and up front with you. So far I have asked them a ton of questions and they told me 100% truth to every one. Not only that, for $4.97 a month, that is one heck of a deal for what is offered, limited or not.

This forum is suppose to be peers helping peers, and honest people helping honest people. I am really disappointed about how it has become a battle ground, and it revolves all around the same person/people.

I hope everyone can relax and enjoy the forum, and go back to the days where it was people helping each other. Peace and take care.

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

As a webhost it is impossible to offer unlimited anything. They can't do it. I would challenge you to try to fill that "unlimited" quota. See how far 5 dollars gets you/ Put several hundered GB of data onto their disks and see if you can get people to pull said data down

Comment

• GoHighVoltage
                              • Dec 2010
                              • 4.2.x

Hi Zachery, I agree with you, I am sure that the Unlimited Hosting is like I said, based on the maximum that a shared hosting would ever be used for in a real life situation. If you have a shared hosting, and plan to run 1000 users at one time, of course it is not going to be allowed.

I was just making a friendly gesture on current experience I have with my host. For $4.97 a month, that is one great deal, even if limited in some ways. If you cannot use a shared hosting, then you should invest in a VPS, or semi-dedicated.

Whatever works. I started with a shared host, and then moved on to VPS, not because of volume, but because of capabilities and future expansion.

Good luck everyone.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...