Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GoHighVoltage
    • Dec 2010
    • 4.2.x

Hey Boss-Hog, do what I did and go with a a VPS server.

I think you would be completely fine with a VPS host.

On a side note: I don't know of ANY shared hosting that would allow a database to go past 1gig. Godaddy's limit on lower shared plans is 100mb, and their unlimited shared plan is 1gig. I check 6-7 other shared hostings, and all had a max limit of 1gig. Size of a database shouldn't hinder the performance or cause errors, but if your hosting is limiting it's size, and you are over it, that is your issue.

One other odd thing I noticed on your current host, they charge $55.00 a month for their best VPS-4 plan, click on it, they only include a 10mbps port. If you want a 100mbps port, it is an additional $25.00 per month!!! Crazy!
    Last edited by GoHighVoltage; Sat 29 Jan '11, 11:37am.

Comment

• ryan1918
      • Jun 2010

Even if you get a 10mbit/100mbit/1000mbit it's not going to matter, I'm sure they are all shared anyways so because your getting a 100mbit port doesn't mean it would be any better than 10mbit, if 50 people are using that 100mbit port your going at 2mbit max.. just depends how the host sells, and if they have dedicated or shared ports to begin with..

Comment

• encryption
        • May 2005

Originally posted by GoHighVoltage
        On a side note: I don't know of ANY shared hosting that would allow a database to go past 1gig. Godaddy's limit on lower shared plans is 100mb, and their unlimited shared plan is 1gig. I check 6-7 other shared hostings, and all had a max limit of 1gig. Size of a database shouldn't hinder the performance or cause errors, but if your hosting is limiting it's size, and you are over it, that is your issue.

One other odd thing I noticed on your current host, they charge $55.00 a month for their best VPS-4 plan, click on it, they only include a 10mbps port. If you want a 100mbps port, it is an additional $25.00 per month!!! Crazy!
        Well you would need to find a webhost that's geared to hosting forums, not for uploading 50 vacation photos. I have a 1.4 gb forum DB sitting on a shared box (of course I run the place, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't extend it to another client).

Originally posted by ryan1918
        Even if you get a 10mbit/100mbit/1000mbit it's not going to matter, I'm sure they are all shared anyways so because your getting a 100mbit port doesn't mean it would be any better than 10mbit, if 50 people are using that 100mbit port your going at 2mbit max.. just depends how the host sells, and if they have dedicated or shared ports to begin with..
        Very inaccurate. You can't presume all 50 are using the same amount of BW at any given time. We host massive downloads on our site of DJ mixes and the servers have over 50 websites (majority of them DJ websites AND forums, which is what we sort of specialize in) and we have never had performance glitches.
        www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
        www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...