• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • viper357
    • May 2007
    • 3.6.x

VPS requirements ?????

Hi all

Sorry to ask the same lame question, but hopefully someone will help me. I am looking for a new vps host and was thinking of going with servint, I have been reading through WHT and other forums etc.

The problem is, I have no idea what my requirements are, so if I can list my stats then hopefully someone can recommend how much RAM etc. I need.

Thanks.

Members: 4,082
    Threads: 18,379

Online users over 15 minutes - 37 members and 36 guests
    Bandwidth - about 70 to 80gb per month
    Website size is currently just under 19gb's.
    According to my current host, my average RAM usage is 455 MB

Will the Essential option be ok on http://www.servint.net/vps-featuresandupgrades.php
    Or I was thinking of the VS3 option on http://knownhost.com/vps_packages.html, but they both pretty much the same. Knownhost have more vps plans and you can upgrade your RAM separately instead of having to upgrade your entire server, but I have heard so many good things about servint as well. I just have no idea what my specific requirements are.

Thanks to anyone that can help.
  • Abomination
    • Jul 2008

Servint treats me well. Awesome.

The essential (smallest package) would be fine... depending on how modified your site is. We have roughly the same amount of traffic & ram use, loads are about 0.05 to 0.10 with basically a stock vb3.8. Servint could upgrade you at anytime if you think it is needed, and it would be invisible to you except a few minutes of downtime.

Comment

• WebKing27
      • Oct 2010

If you can upgrade your RAM separately then there is nothing good like that. Then you don't need to upgrade your entire server and pay huge amount for not using those resources. There is UnicHost out there, who offers fully managed Virtual Private Server Hosting with the RAM upgrade option in the multiple of 64MB could be cheaper than entire package upgrade.

Comment

• viper357
        • May 2007
        • 3.6.x

Thanks guys.

I contacted URLJet with my stats and they recommended the vbPlatinum (semi-dedicated) one, I'm tempted to go with them as I think I may have something wrong with my vb forum and could probably do with their help if in fact there is something wrong. My site seems to run fine for a while and then server loads spike from less than 1 to up to 40 or 50, it's weird, my site will run fine for a week, but then for days on end I will have downtime and really high server loads, I've got no idea if it's the server or my site that's causing it.

Comment

• deatheyes
          • Aug 2005
          • 3.6.x

I recomended www.photonvps.com
          Optimize your website
          Cool Wallpaper
          All Android Rom

Comment

• aeroval
            • Dec 2010

Prior to upgrading to higher plan, it is good to check whether you could increase performance by optimizing php settings and MySQL database. If you don't know how to do it, I am sure you can find some freelancer to do it for "cheap".

Comment

• Justin_Wilson
              • Jan 2016

Been using www.bodhost.com for like 6 months now and could not be more happy. The guys @ bodhost know what they are talking about.

Comment

• webmastersun
                • Oct 2013
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by viper357
                Hi all

Sorry to ask the same lame question, but hopefully someone will help me. I am looking for a new vps host and was thinking of going with servint, I have been reading through WHT and other forums etc.

The problem is, I have no idea what my requirements are, so if I can list my stats then hopefully someone can recommend how much RAM etc. I need.

Thanks.

Members: 4,082
                Threads: 18,379

Online users over 15 minutes - 37 members and 36 guests
                Bandwidth - about 70 to 80gb per month
                Website size is currently just under 19gb's.
                According to my current host, my average RAM usage is 455 MB

I just have no idea what my specific requirements are.

Thanks to anyone that can help.
                From your forum size, I think you can choose a VPS with 2 GB of RAM, 50 GB of disk space is enough unless your forum is store more images, you can need higher disk space

I would recommend some VPS hosting providers here http://www.webmastersun.com/forums/1...Hosting-Offers

You should contact them to get coupon codes or a reasonable price.

If no, you can choose a shared hosting packages that integrate CDN which can help you improve performance for your site.
                Best Internet Marketing Forum & Webmaster Forum for webmasters and Internet Marketers discussing and trading!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...