X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Apokalupsis
    • Feb 2002
    • 3.6.x

Good vps hosting (not Hostgator)?

I'm currently on a shared server setup with Hostgator. I get about 10 sql errors a day (sql server has gone away or timeouts). I'm looking to upgrade, but unsure about staying with HG due to such poor server specs. Sure, they have good customer support...but their servers just aren't very good it seems as they have severe restrictions on them and there is no possible way to resolve w/o upgrading.

So I'm looking to upgrade to a VPS. Can someone recommend some good VPS hosts for a medium sized site (with no more than 12 people online at any given time)? HG support says that I should upgrade...but I don't make money off of my site and spending a lot of money isn't in my budget for my community. Anything over $50/month just isn't doable unfortunately.
  • magz
    • Nov 2006
    • 4.1.x

Check out Servint http://www.servint.net/vps.php

Ive never looked back since being with them after my experiances on shared hosting.
    Follow Chatanplay on Twitter, Youtube and Facebook

Comment

• wat3v3r
      • Jun 2008
      • 3.8.x

Been with knownhost (knownhost.com) and i love them Great support, good hardware and great server security

Comment

• Apokalupsis
        • Feb 2002
        • 3.6.x

Has anyone noticed an improvement when upgrading from shared to VPS?

Comment

• John Higgins
          • Sep 2010
          • 4.0.x

My servers are at http://www.giga-international.com/. They provide very fast dedicated and VPS servers and these are very cheap.
          Reference: http://foxihost.com/

Comment

• Deathjam
            • Aug 2006
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Apokalupsis
            yes i was on a very good(tho abit expensive, but you get what you pay for) shared host - apisnetworks

i moved to a linode vps, and yes there is a noticeable improvement in site performance
            My Site: INFJs.com

Comment

• Abomination
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Apokalupsis
              Yes. I went from hostgator shared to servint. Works fantastic, no more mysql has gone away messages, or any errors for that matter. I deleted about 2000 of those emails when leaving HG. Customer service is much much better as well. I've described servint before as 'boring' because it just keeps on running and I did not need to keep an eye on it like our HG shared.

For your situation, 12 people online should work fine on shared. We have an (almost) stock vb3.8 install and HG shared worked 'ok' until we got 100 people all trying to view the same thread, then the too many connections errors started. Though the numerous other errors kept happening as stated.

I've no idea what version of vb you are using, nor the number of addons, but our little vps usually runs about 0.05 - 0.10 load average (smallest vps at servint).

Comment

• Apokalupsis
                • Feb 2002
                • 3.6.x

I went with urljet.com (needed US based). Turns out that I could still use shared. While they are a bit more on the expensive side (I could never afford one of their VPS and will undoubtedly have to use a different host if I ever WANT to go VPS way down the road), the service thus far has been very good. I also like the fact that they manage their shared servers if you like and are very proficient with vbulletin and its mods and necessary resources.

I'll post in about a month my experiences with them. I'm still getting migrated over to the new server.
                Last edited by Apokalupsis; Tue 16 Nov '10, 8:24pm.

Comment

• aaraam
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Pls PM I can arrange you good host
                  after u test u can continue

Comment

• Mark.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Feb 2004
                    • 6.0.X

Globalgold:

UK based Easyspace sell Domain names, Web Hosting, Microsoft 365, Email Hosting, Dedicated Servers & UK Support
                    MARK.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    ------------
                    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• wrx1
                      • Nov 2009

If you can do the server work yourself, linode all the way. I am running 2 512 slices (1 for the front and and 1 for the database), and with 50-70 people on (plus guests for a total of 100-110), the system doesn't even break a sweat, and that is running 4.0.8. When we were running 3.8, the resources used were even less (less than 3%cpu usage and about 4-7% with 4.0.8). My 2 slices run me about $36 a month. No issues in the past 18 months of running linode other than 1 ddos attack that had them down for less than 30 minutes.

Russ

Comment

• WebKing27
                        • Oct 2010

12 people online shouldn't be that big to handle by a shared host. But if you are facing problems then you must find a better option. Yes, of course you will find a huge improvement when upgrading from shared to VPS. If the budget is the concern then within range of $35-40 per month you should get a fully managed VPS with control panel. So that you don't need to manage the technical aspects of it.

Comment

• mobilewo
                          • Oct 2008
                          • 3.7.x

i am using site5.com

Comment

• Allthumbz
                            • Oct 2011

I had an extremely negative experience with www.HostAtom.net and its owner, Kevin M. Lally.
                            I couldn't recommend them to anyone in good conscience.

If you would like more details please PM me.

Nelson
                            Nelson
                            www.Hobby-Machinist.com

Comment

• Ace
                              • Apr 2004
                              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Allthumbz
                              I had an extremely negative experience with www.HostAtom.net and its owner, Kevin M. Lally.
                              I couldn't recommend them to anyone in good conscience.

If you would like more details please PM me.

Nelson
                              As a priest, shouldn't you be turning the other cheek, rather than being a complete baby about it and taking every random opportunity to badmouth a host YOU tried to rip off and failed to read the Terms of Use?
                              My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                              vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...