Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MEGATRONICATRON
    • Sep 2010

What is the BEST DEDICATED Server ?

Soon, i will be running a Gaming Forum and will have hundreds if not thousands using my forum on a day to day, basis! So, what Server or Dedicated Server would be best for me ? I have two parts to this question however. Firstone, the server i do buy, where are they stored ?, Secondone, can i just run a server in my own room, instead of having it run somewhere else in the world so it saves me montly bills!
  • royo
    • Jan 2005
    • 3.7.x

You will likely want to rent it and have a real datacenter host it. You'll also want to get a reality check, as forums take time to grow unless you already have a fan base assembled but no forum for them.
    Oppressed.

Comment

• wat3v3r
      • Jun 2008
      • 3.8.x

You can start with a high end VPS and if you require more then just upgrade to a dedicated, this will be a safe decision as your site is not online for now and you can't be certain of the traffic yet.

Firstone, the server i do buy, where are they stored ?
      That purely depends on where your host is keeping it servers, can be anywhere you want them to be. Most of the good ones will be situated in USA though.

Secondone, can i just run a server in my own room, instead of having it run somewhere else in the world so it saves me montly bills!
      If you have a spare PC which you can run 24x7 and you have a high speed internet like 100mbps with a good upload speed.. yes you may run it from home. But unless you know any tech knowledge on how to run servers smoothly i won't recommend it.

Comment

• EPCZ_Jack
        • Jul 2010

You won't be saving on monthly bills by running a server in your room. You'll have the electricity of running a PC to run 24/7, extra costs for an ISP that will give you a static IP, a high speed, and allows hosting in their TOS. Then there's maintaning the server yourself, installing updates, making sure everything is secure ect...

If anything goes wrong, there's no help or support. So make sure you have the knowledge and ability to deal with them when they come.

Also, time for a reality check like others have said above. There's hundreds of gaming sites out there, what have you got to offer over them? Setting up vbulletin and customising it is the easy part, drawing in traffic is the real work. You'll not be getting thousands of users on your forum, for let's say around 12 months, and that's if you're doing well.

Just go with a cheap shared hosting plan for now, and upgrade to a dedicated server if your forum does outgrow the shared server. I run my site on a cheap hosting plan, have around 50 members and everything runs as smooth as butter. When and only when (or if) my forum grows, I will fork out the money for a dedicated server. I'd advise any site starting out to do the same, unless you've been somehow guaranteed large amounts of traffic.
        Also known as Jack12 on vbulletin.org

Comment

• Shamil.
          • Feb 2008
          • 4.2.X

Can you guarantee this traffic?
          Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
          VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
          vBulletin Hosting and Services
          Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• deatheyes
            • Aug 2005
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by MEGATRONICATRON
            Soon, i will be running a Gaming Forum and will have hundreds if not thousands using my forum on a day to day, basis! So, what Server or Dedicated Server would be best for me ? I have two parts to this question however. Firstone, the server i do buy, where are they stored ?, Secondone, can i just run a server in my own room, instead of having it run somewhere else in the world so it saves me montly bills!
            Originally posted by MEGATRONICATRON
            Use colocation with a data center near you
            You still own your hardware and don't worry about electric, traffic...
            Optimize your website
            Cool Wallpaper
            All Android Rom

Comment

• MEGATRONICATRON
              • Sep 2010

royo- Ok thank you for your response! And as for my reality check, i have been running my forum for 5 years and it's got to the point where my community is expanding and it needs to have a total remake as per the Host.

wat3v3r- Ha yes, i will not run my spare for 24/7! You made a good point and i much appreciate that, thanks!

EPCZ_Jack- What is up with reality check ? I'm not so sure i'm understanding this?.. Well, i'm run my forum for 5 years and i have alot of traffic, so much that i run 4 forums, with different concepts to the certain subject, on each! So my goal is to get rid of all 4 forums i have now and combine all the previous forum subjects into one whole forum! So, i will have much company to forum once i find a suitable host for me!

deatheyes- Thank you for response, i will look into it!

- MEGATRONICATRON

Comment

• ryan1918
                • Jun 2010

Originally posted by deatheyes
                Use colocation with a data center near you
                You still own your hardware and don't worry about electric, traffic...
                If you knew anything about co-location, you pay for SPACE, POWER, AND BANDWIDTH.. It's actually more expensive doing co-location unless you have 50+ servers

Comment

• MEGATRONICATRON
                  • Sep 2010

Can anyone else recommend me some Hosts, so i can use them in Consideration, thanks everyone.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                    • Mar 2005

If your talking gaming server requirements, then you want to speak with WiredTree... as they are pretty much the only ones in the industry that are using SSD and interchanging Lightspeed for apache if more juice is needed. Don't look at their advertised prices, instead talk with them about actual best price they can offer you for what you need. Tell them what you need and see what they can come back to you with. Gaming... SSD or SCSI is your only option in conjunction with enterprise CPU's and equipment.

Comment

• ryan1918
                      • Jun 2010

What do you mean? All companies have lightspeed..

Comment

• MEGATRONICATRON
                        • Sep 2010

anthonyparsons - Ok, i will check with WiredTree and see what they can offer to me. Basically, all i need is, Speed, Usage, Backup. The basic essentials for a forum to run smooth like the wind.

Comment

• wat3v3r
                          • Jun 2008
                          • 3.8.x

Why don't you try hosts in Germany only ? You would get better support and contact with them also it would be faster for you and most of European traffic ~

KeyWeb - http://english.keyweb.de/dedicated/index.shtml
                          Strato - http://www.strato.de/server/windows/index.html
                          Hosteurope (HighQuality) - http://www.hosteurope.de/produkte/Server-XL-XXL
                          CS-Arena - http://www.cs-arena.com/index.php?module=rootserver

Choose a reliable, fast and secure server to get your project to the next level.

Comment

• MEGATRONICATRON
                            • Sep 2010

Thanks for reply wat3v3r. I am moving to us soon so will want to run server inside of us, than outside of us.

Comment

• MEGATRONICATRON
                              • Sep 2010

OK I've found my " Host " I am now going go with! Now, what about " MYSQL " What can anyone tell me about this to go with ? Thanks

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...