Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JenP
    • Jul 2010

Hostgator Opinion

The focus of my site is a VBulletin forum and a few static html pages. I am looking at getting a VPS server and hostgator have good prices. Does anyone use them?
  • Nick Meyers
    • Jul 2010

HostGator is indeed a very good choice.As a matter of fact I usually recommend it to all of my friends. But I honestly don't think that you should get a VPS just to host a vBulletin forum + a few static html pages. I'm actually hosting 5 forums that are of a medium size on one shared hosting account, and it's running really smooth.

You can also take HG for a free ride, getting your first month for 1 cent. It basically saves you $9.94 off your hosting package using the coupon DISCOUNTHG

Hope that helps

Nick

Comment

• Boofo
      • Apr 2002
      • 4.1.x

I have to disagree with Hostgator being good, sorry. As a matter of fact, I am changing hosts this next weekend to get away from Hostgator. I found a new host that has way better prices AND support.
      vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

• Lizard King
        Banned
        • Mar 2004
        • 3.6.x

I will personally never work with Hostgator. Possibly the worst host out there.
        Last edited by Lizard King; Tue 27 Jul '10, 2:09am.

Comment

• Abomination
          • Jul 2008

I am not a big fan of hostgator.

I would not bother with a vps unless you need something specific such as changing the minimum full text word length. I could not imagine having a vps at hostgator, but shared is 'ok' if you could put up with all the errors, erratic operation, and customer support that gives completely conflicting information depending on who you talk to.

Comment

• War.Frog
            • Sep 2009
            • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Lizard King
            I will personally never work with Hostgator. Possibly the worst host out there.
            I dunno...JustHost.com would put up a good fight for that title.

Comment

• Boofo
              • Apr 2002
              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Abomination
              I am not a big fan of hostgator.

I would not bother with a vps unless you need something specific such as changing the minimum full text word length. I could not imagine having a vps at hostgator, but shared is 'ok' if you could put up with all the errors, erratic operation, and customer support that gives completely conflicting information depending on who you talk to.
              Who are you with, may I ask?
              vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

Comment

• Abomination
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Boofo
                Who are you with, may I ask?
                Servint. I did not realize how astonishingly bad hostgator was until I switched.

Hostgator is about like godaddy with more standardized tools. HG has cPanel, last I checked godaddy had come custom made solution instead of cPanel (as I recall).

I've forgotten most of the bad stuff that happened while with HG, but I do know my last day of prepaid hosting is over today. Perhaps I should go write a review while I still can.

Comment

• Boofo
                  • Apr 2002
                  • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Abomination
                  Servint. I did not realize how astonishingly bad hostgator was until I switched.

Hostgator is about like godaddy with more standardized tools. HG has cPanel, last I checked godaddy had come custom made solution instead of cPanel (as I recall).

I've forgotten most of the bad stuff that happened while with HG, but I do know my last day of prepaid hosting is over today. Perhaps I should go write a review while I still can.
                  How long has Servint been around? I got a better deal and price through VPSLatch. Twice the disk space, but they are fairly new.

Comment

• Abomination
                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Boofo
                    How long has Servint been around? I got a better deal and price through VPSLatch. Twice the disk space, but they are fairly new.
                    "A host that’s put customers first for 15 years. Imagine that."

I have absolutely no doubt that you could find less expensive vps providers, with more advertised features.

Comment

• joshloe
                      • Jul 2010

Jen P,

Thank you for your interest in HostGator. I work for HostGator and will personally assist you with setting up your VPS and stand behind our VPS price and support. Please add me as a friend and I'll be glad to PM you any information or assistance you need. If anyone here has an issue with HostGator's service or support, I invite you to send me a PM, I will gladly assist you.

Comment

• syrus.xl
                        • Jun 2005

OMG... You admit to working for Hostgator! LOL - That's the last thing I would do! hehe

Comment

• Boofo
                          • Apr 2002
                          • 4.1.x

joshloe, I sent you an email answer to your email. You have nothing to say in return now? Typical hostgator support.

Comment

• FranklinWalker
                            • Aug 2010

hostgator 's support service is powerful,they always help you to solve the problem patiently
                            Last edited by Zachery; Wed 9 Nov '11, 7:45pm.

Comment

• Final Kaoss
                              • Nov 2006

That's quite enough of bashing a hosting company that really isn't that bad of a host. There is nothing wrong with hostgator & they do have some nice shared & vps packages.
                              Originally posted by syrus.xl
                              OMG... You admit to working for Hostgator! LOL - That's the last thing I would do! hehe

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...