Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mafukie
    • Apr 2000

What is a great host?

I need to find a reasonable host that has tons of customizability. That support MySQL, PHP, CGI, ya know the works

I found communitech.net and they seem to be exactly what I want but I have heard horror stories about them...

FQuest is not what I'am looking for at all they are way too expensive and hardly give webspace...

welp hope to heard allot of feedback

bye
  • Mafukie
    • Apr 2000

Thanks anyway

I found one of the best I have ever seen

they have everything I need for a very cheap price...

only 25 bucks a month plus 40 setup fee... ( thats for Ultimate package )

check it out

bye
    Attached Files

Comment

• Martin
      • Apr 2000
      • 3.5.x

What do you consider too expensive? how much space do you want?

We can hook you up with 50 mb for $30/month (with a single mySQL dbase) or 100 mb for $45.

you can sign up through us here or sign up directly with Dreamhost here

we've been there a year and it has been top notch. we currnetly host 15 sites there.
      Attached Files
      Webmaster:
      @forumz

Comment

• Martin
        • Apr 2000
        • 3.5.x

some advice...

Originally posted by Mafukie

only 25 bucks a month plus 40 setup fee... ( thats for Ultimate package )
        Find out how much they charge for extra bandwidth. they do give a lot of bang for the buck, for sure, but 20 Gb of bandwidth can last less than a week if you have a lot of traffic. I know some companies (interland, for one) charge $100/Gb overage.

We have 44Gb and get charged $15/Gb overage.
        Attached Files
        Webmaster:
        @forumz

Comment

• Dr Dollarz
          • Apr 2000

?

Are there any free hosts that support these languages?
          Attached Files

Comment

• Martin
            • Apr 2000
            • 3.5.x

I don't know of a hosting service that provides free support for mySQL and/or PHP3. They may be out there, but I don't want to be stuck the severe restrictions such services put on a site.
            Webmaster:
            @forumz

Comment

• Mafukie
              • Apr 2000

I got the Ultimate Plan and as you can see I get 500 megs of space 20 gig bandwith per month ( more than enough )

and its only 25 bucks a month for me

you say you will give me hosting for 50 mb for $30/month (with a single mySQL dbase) or 100 mb for $45.

and this host gives me 500 mb 25/month with 5 MySQL databases

so this host blows your plan away.

bye

Comment

• Martin
                • Apr 2000
                • 3.5.x

mafukie

I didn't really care if you went with us or not. As far as blowing what we offer away, I would be interested in seeing how much your excess bandwidth charges are. We currently use about 2.1 Gb/day. Your plan would give us an excess usage of about 43 Gb/month. Even if they only charge $10/Gb (fat chance), that's still $430 extra/month. If they charge like a lot of companies do ($100/Gb) your $25 plan just jumped to $4325. I wasn't telling you to look for that to swing you towards us. I was telling you that so you could check it before you leapt in with both feet.

I hope it works out well for you over there.

Added Note:
                I sent them an e-mail out of curiousity and their prices for excess are definitely reasonable, if their limitation aren't.
                Excess Disk Space: $10/month per 100 Mb
                Excess Bandwidth : $12/Gb

Those are really reasonable rates. If you build the traffic level that we have, your hosting will only be about $541/month.

[Edited by Martin on 05-01-2000 at 10:07 PM]
                Webmaster:
                @forumz

Comment

• Mafukie
                  • Apr 2000

Originally posted by Martin
                  I didn't really care if you went with us or not. As far as blowing what we offer away, I would be interested in seeing how much your excess bandwidth charges are. We currently use about 2.1 Gb/day. Your plan would give us an excess usage of about 43 Gb/month. Even if they only charge $10/Gb (fat chance), that's still $430 extra/month. If they charge like a lot of companies do ($100/Gb) your $25 plan just jumped to $4325. I wasn't telling you to look for that to swing you towards us. I was telling you that so you could check it before you leapt in with both feet.

I hope it works out well for you over there.

Added Note:
                  I sent them an e-mail out of curiousity and their prices for excess are definitely reasonable, if their limitation aren't.
                  Excess Disk Space: $10/month per 100 Mb
                  Excess Bandwidth : $12/Gb

Those are really reasonable rates. If you build the traffic level that we have, your hosting will only be about $541/month.

[Edited by Martin on 05-01-2000 at 10:07 PM]

like I said 20 gb a month is fine for me thankyou for your postings I really appreciate it
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Philipp
                    • Apr 2000
                    • 3.8.x

If you need only 20GB/month check out http://www.tera-byte.com/hosting-web.html

They offer 99 MB of space on the server, 20 GB of transfer per month, 99 email addresses, FTP access, telnet access, CGI, PHP3, MySQL for $99/year.

Philipp
                    Attached Files
                    Contentteller Community Forums

Comment

• Philipp
                      • Apr 2000
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Dr Dollarz
                      Are there any free hosts that support these languages?
                      Yes I know two...

Webdesign mit Wordpress, Domain-Management, Office 365 & Hosted Exchange aus Forchheim

Another great free webhost is Freedom 2 Surf http://www.f2s.com

Unfortunately they support only PostgreSQL and not MySQL.

Maybe John can make a PostgreSQL compatible version?

Philipp
                      Contentteller Community Forums

Comment

• SAWolf76
                        • May 2000

Hey Mafukie!

I had my eye on site5 for a while now and I really want to change and since I'm consedring upgrading from UBB to vB I wanted to see how your doing with them?? did you have any problems?? did you get vB to work ok with them any trouble?? any need to work with the code??

Thanks for your responce in advance man....

Attached Files
                        <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
                        *--------* (IN THE NAME Of ALLAH THE MOST MERCIFUL) *------*
                        ============================================================
                        =================== Turki M. Al-Ballaa =================
                        ============================================================
                        I am a Saudi, I am an Arab, I am a Muslim, I am a Human!!
                        @@ All Humans are one, the only difference is in faith.@@
                        So peace and prosperity to all, may we all live in harmony.
                        Salam! Peace!

www.arabianoasis.net
                        <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Comment

• Nutcase
                          • May 2000

Site5 &amp; vB

I just got my site5 account, and the first thing I did was try vB on it... no luck. it has that same damn "cant reply" bug I have on my current server.

they are going to install the absolute newest php4 for me, incase it was a bug in there... if it was, this should hopefully fix it, as they are at rc2 already. If it wasnt that, then it may be a bug in the vB script.

Either way, vB is gonna have to run on php4 & zend, so the bug has to be fixed.

Other than the problem there, the service has been really helpful to me. I really enjoy working with them... unfortunately, vB isnt working yet, which makes it kinda pointless..

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...