Why do I have "excessive disk i/o usage" ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Art Andrews
    • Jan 2005
    • 4.0.x

Why do I have "excessive disk i/o usage" ?

Hi, I run two sites which until recently were on separate account on a shared solution. As one of the sites is really growing, and we more or less outgrew our shared solution, our host offered us a their cloud server platform. We move both sites (one large and one small) to the cloud server and have had nothing but problems every since. While the hosting company has worked with us to make things better, we are still having what appear to be random long pauses and even timeouts.

The hosting service finally told us tonight that the source of the problem is excessive disk i/o usage.

According to them, this was even an issue back when we were on shared hosting but the shared hosting solution was more or less able to compensate for it, but on the cloud server the problem is more obvious.

Here is the exact message we received.

Upon further investigation it appears that the source of the problem is excessive disk i/o usage. On the cloud server platform, storage is not local but rather accessed over a network interface. The storage is still within the same facility, but as a result inefficiencies within the sites have become more predominant. Compared to other cloud servers we are hosting, the disk i/o usage in your server is quite honestly through the roof. This should not be happening with just standard vBulletin installations, so we feel that some kind of third party plugin is the cause here. Would you be able to investigate this on your side to see if any unnecessary plugins can be uninstalled to perhaps alleviate MySQL usage/queries?

The reason these problems were not as severe on the shared hosting platform is due to the use of local storage but it seems that even after migrating the iowait, which measures disk i/o utilization, has gone down by a considerable amount on the old server. Thus, it seems that there was always some kind of inefficiency, but it is just being highlighted due to the characteristics of the platform you are on.
    My question is, what can we do about this? I don't know of any addons that we use that would be causing this issue.

One thing I have wondered about is that we force our members to upload signature images (as opposed to link them) and we strongly encourage members to upload attachments instead of link to images on external sites.

If anyone could provide some thoughts on where I could or should begin to try to find a solution for this problem, I would greatly appreciate it!

BTW, for whatever it is worth, my sites are:

www.therpf.com and www.thedentedhelmet.com. We are using MediaLayer for our hosting, a company therpf.com has been using with great success for years.

Thanks!
  • anthonyparsons
    • Mar 2005

Seriously... get a new host, because it has nothing to do with you, but everything to do with them over selling their specifications that it cannot cope with the demand they are placing upon their equipment.

Comment

• royo
      • Jan 2005
      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by anthonyparsons
      Seriously... get a new host, because it has nothing to do with you, but everything to do with them over selling their specifications that it cannot cope with the demand they are placing upon their equipment.
      MediaLayer is a performance oriented host and does not oversell at all, so do some research before making statements like that. I doubt he's going to find another shared host that will be happy hosting his site if MediaLayer isn't.
      Oppressed.

Comment

• Art Andrews
        • Jan 2005
        • 4.0.x

I have to say, up until this point, MediaLayer has been very good to us... I am not saying we wouldn't move to another host if we had to, but if there is an actual issue, we really want to find it because if the issue is on our end, then we are going to take it with us wherever we go.

Comment

• a legacy reborn
          • Feb 2010

Page Time: 0.27376 seconds Memory: 4,911 KB Queries: 35 Templates: 34
          Server Uptime: 1 days 11 hours 11 mins Server Load: 1.26 : 0.85 : 0.69

What I am seeing is alot of queries man I think ur host is right u have too many modifications and if you have both sites on one cloud and one of em is small. Why not get shared for the small and cloud for the big?

Update:
          But really I suggest 2 VPS Clouds as that would be nice when u said small i thought u meant 1000 or less not 8000 that needs it's own VPS oh and can u please display debug info on big forum
          Last edited by a legacy reborn; Thu 17 Jun '10, 9:13am.

Comment

• Jedito
            • May 2001

What plugin/hack have you installed on the problematic forum?
            Downtown Host LLC - Shared Web Hosting - Offering the best service since 2001.
            LiteSpeed Support - Vbulletin Optimized servers

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...