Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Hawk
    • Aug 2008

VPS or Dedicated Hosting?

In short we are running a community on vBulletin. The SQL database is currently a shade under 1GB but traffic is 80GB+ a month and growing. He are getting in excess of 1.3 Million hits a month. We sit on about 150 users online at any one time with a bust to about 400.

Being an Australian based forum we would like to stay locally hosted for latency reasons, but mulling over the estimated system requirements.

If I was to go VPS, what sort of speed/RAM should I be aiming for (allowing for growth of course)?

Alternatively, if I were to move to a dedicated service what sort of CPU, RAM, Disk etc should I be aiming for to support this little community??
  • ENF
    • Apr 2002

Hi...

Relatively, your forum is medium in size based on the database size and amount of monthly bandwidth.

The amount of active users at any given time would determine how much horsepower you need to keep things stable.

I'll always say that a dedicated server is best, but a VPS solution will work fine for medium sized sites most of the time.

80/GB/Month comes out to 2.6/GB/Day - I've had a few people running 8/GB/day on VPS solutions. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Key things for good performance:

Fast Disk System, Don't use anything solution that uses SATA. SAS or SCSI with high-speed drives is key. I'd recommend 8GB ram as minimum and possibly a solution that is based on the Westmere processors or the latest XEON chips.

Check over here to see what others are using actively.
    Last edited by ENF; Thu 13 May '10, 10:37pm.
    To be updated...

Comment

• anthonyparsons
      • Mar 2005

If you want the fastest VPS in the business, ServInt... Dedicated... much of a muchness... find the best specs you can within a reliable infrastructure with quality gear and connection. ServInt have some good dedicated solutions, but I think they become too expensive for what they offer in dedicated compared to what you can find at ThePlanet for dedicated solutions. ThePlanet is the largest provider in the world... so it would just be natural that they can offer the best prices on dedicated platforms without compromising security or connectivity.

Comment

• ryan1918
        • Jun 2010

You would not need 8GB of ram to run that type of site, you could do it on 4GB of ram, you even could get it optimized and even do it on even much less, there is no need for 8GB of ram, You have no need for a dedicated server as your site is not using a lot of usage, hit me up, I can recommend a good company, You should have no problem being on a shared plan, as long as the company isn't overselling, and down the road I'd suggest a vps/dedicated.

Comment

• ryan1918
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by anthonyparsons
          If you want the fastest VPS in the business, ServInt... Dedicated... much of a muchness... find the best specs you can within a reliable infrastructure with quality gear and connection. ServInt have some good dedicated solutions, but I think they become too expensive for what they offer in dedicated compared to what you can find at ThePlanet for dedicated solutions. ThePlanet is the largest provider in the world... so it would just be natural that they can offer the best prices on dedicated platforms without compromising security or connectivity.
          The planet is not the largest provider in the world, they are not even close, please do not say something when you aren't sure, soft layer is WAY bigger then the planet.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
            • Mar 2005

I think you need to recheck your facts on companies Ryan, otherwise I wouldn't have made the statement in the first place. Softlayer is a large entity, though they are not even close to the size off ThePlanet. SoftLayer have half the servers under management, a fraction of the clients and reach the ThePlanet have. Again... I think you need to recheck your company profiles on that comparison.

SoftLayer deployed servers: 27,000+
            ThePlanet deployed servers: 48,500+ under their management, not including all the hosting companies that use ThePlanets architecture and manage their own servers.

Again, I believe you need to do a bit more homework on your companies before making such incorrect assessments.

Comment

• rajubd
              • Apr 2009
              • 4.1.x

You should test 512 mb vps with good host also run xcache on your server. Your site should run smothly.
              MobilePhoneTalk.Com - Mobile Phone Community Powered By EuroVPS.Com

Comment

• goyo
                • Dec 2002

I think you need to recheck your facts on companies Ryan, otherwise I wouldn't have made the statement in the first place. Softlayer is a large entity, though they are not even close to the size off ThePlanet. SoftLayer have half the servers under management, a fraction of the clients and reach the ThePlanet have. Again... I think you need to recheck your company profiles on that comparison.

ThePlanet deployed servers: 48,500+ under their management, not including all the hosting companies that use ThePlanets architecture and manage their own servers.

Again, I believe you need to do a bit more homework on your companies before making such incorrect assessments.
                ThePlanet is not the largest (but my favorite one).

1 and 1 (1 und 1) is the largest with 70.000 +
                http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Facts

Comment

• ryan1918
                  • Jun 2010

Again, your wrong, they softlayer has 27,000 servers as of last month and they just got another 20,000 added because of 100tb

Comment

• ryan1918
                    • Jun 2010

Microsoft opened a new data center last year, and they currently house over 150,000 servers, including 80,000 that run hotmail and msn messenger, they are way bigger then both companies.

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.

they are located in texas, they are the biggest data center in the world, with 700,000 square feet.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                      • Mar 2005

Are you a child? Seriously? You just stated Softlayer was larger than ThePlanet, and proven wrong. Did you not read the above post... Softlayer would need to buy another 100k of servers to come close to what ThePlanet actually house but do not manage. Now you bring Microsoft into it... why? Google own the largest quantity of servers in the world, this is fact. They have in excess off 1 million servers, and will not disclose the exact amount. Seriously... you need to do research and then have a point. You just seem to be selling your own product here, which seems pretty dodgy IMHO.

Comment

• ryan1918
                        • Jun 2010

Where does it state how many servers the planet actually has? It doesn't.

How am I overselling my product, I have a full dedicated 1000mbit, and I'm using less then 10mbit, how am I overselling, my server load and cpu is under 5% at all times, please do tell me how I'm overloaded, your statements are plain retarded.

The planet is crap compared the planet in compared to there network.

I google'd what? don't tell me what did or didn't do, I never google'd anything.

and once again your wrong, google does not own a million servers, if you actually looked at there servers it's no where near a million, and IBM has the biggest amount of servers that they own and run on all there products/networks.

Comment

• ChopSuey
                          • Apr 2009

VPS over Dedi any day.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                            • Mar 2005

Rackspace (RAX) just become one of a select number of companies that house more than 50,000 servers in their data centers. Who else is running at least 50,000 servers?

IBM is way down the list... and this is old... seriously you need to review your facts and again, your still selling your products here. Google is estimated now well over the million mark, as it was near 500k back in 2006 before they purchased YouTube. Google stopped releasing overall facts about their servers after that purchase, and have only ever released scarce information based on some single facilities they have. Seriously... please come armed with facts, not just statements. IBM aren't small, but they aren't even close to the largest nowadays.

For someone who is apparently trying to flog their own servers off to members here, you aren't doing a great job at showing a high level off knowledge about your industry. It is speculated as at Jan 10, Google have nearer 2 million servers as part of their network infrastructure, combining all entities, and some believe that is still low based on figures they do know for some smaller data-centres and sourcing the S1 quarterly filings, with declared spending on technology in excess off $300 million per quarter.
                            Last edited by anthonyparsons; Wed 9 Jun '10, 12:31am.

Comment

• ryan1918
                              • Jun 2010

How do you know for sure, when I seen a google article they had close to a million servers and this one was last year, but I doubt they have 2 million, if any maybe 1.5, anyways IBM's press release they had 1 million servers in 2008, and who knows how many now..

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...