Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joshs
    • Jan 2001

Server co-location services in the U.S.

I found this: http://tera-byte.com/colo.html and was wondering if there are any similar services (to plan b) in the U.S. They are located in Canada and I am worried about sending my server out of the country... Opinions anyone?
  • Chris Schreiber
    • Jun 2000
    • 4.0.x

I use Ventures Online for co-located hosting and am very happy with them: http://www.venturesonline.com/hosting/colocation.html

Comment

• Joshs
      • Jan 2001

What if I have a server bigger than 1U (I have a dell poweredge 1400)? How much bandwith do they give you?

Anyone else have any input? Anyone know of any locations in Connecticut or close?

Chris, what do you have with them (servers, plan, etc)? How much is it ending up costing you?
      Last edited by Joshs; Mon 3 Dec '01, 6:25pm.

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
        • Jun 2000
        • 4.0.x

The server needs to be rack mountable, but it can be bigger then 1U (you just pay $50 per 1U of rack space that you need). I am paying $50/month for my Dell 1550 server for rack space, and then $30 per 10GB of bandwidth used (this decreases if you need more then 50GB).

They are located inside Verio's data center in Englewood, CO (just outside of Denver), which is a very good location because of it's between the west and east coast users, and the connection speeds and reliablity are excellent.

Comment

• Kaiser_Sose
          • Jul 2000

Chris, when a part needs to be replaced how long is the turn around. You send them the part but do they charge for the installation.

Lets say its a hard drive. After they receive the new hard drive they install it but who gets it back up to where it was before it needed to be replaced

Comment

• George L
            Former vBulletin Support
            • May 2000
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Kaiser_Sose
            Chris, when a part needs to be replaced how long is the turn around. You send them the part but do they charge for the installation.

Lets say its a hard drive. After they receive the new hard drive they install it but who gets it back up to where it was before it needed to be replaced
            send an email to the web host would be the best way
            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Joshs
              • Jan 2001

bump for more ideas...

[edit]
              Any place in Connecticut?
              [/edit]
              Last edited by Joshs; Tue 1 Jan '02, 5:45pm.

Comment

• George L
                Former vBulletin Support
                • May 2000
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Joshs
                bump for more ideas...

[edit]
                Any place in Connecticut?
                [/edit]
                might try asking at webhostingtalk.com
                :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• TurboFC3S
                  • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Chris Schreiber
                  The server needs to be rack mountable, but it can be bigger then 1U (you just pay $50 per 1U of rack space that you need). I am paying $50/month for my Dell 1550 server for rack space, and then $30 per 10GB of bandwidth used (this decreases if you need more then 50GB).
                  Even at their 150+ GB rate I'd be paying $1350 a month, and with my current host I pay $700. We move about 500 GB/month, and have a 2U server. The way our host charges is for linespeed. So we get a dedicated 2MB/sec connection (burstable to 3MB/sec) for $700/month. And then we can move as much data as we want on that pipe.

www.protronics.com if you're interested. They don't do much business through their website, but if you're interested call them and ask for Andy. He's the owner and could give you a quote. Great host for bandwidth hogs. On a Verio network in St Louis.

Comment

• George L
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • May 2000
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by TurboFC3S

Even at their 150+ GB rate I'd be paying $1350 a month, and with my current host I pay $700. We move about 500 GB/month, and have a 2U server. The way our host charges is for linespeed. So we get a dedicated 2MB/sec connection (burstable to 3MB/sec) for $700/month. And then we can move as much data as we want on that pipe.

www.protronics.com if you're interested. They don't do much business through their website, but if you're interested call them and ask for Andy. He's the owner and could give you a quote. Great host for bandwidth hogs. On a Verio network in St Louis.
                    that's nice... but essentially that's capped at 3MB/sec

not many sites need more than that ... my rented dedicated server from VO has experienced bursts between 3.9MB/s to 8MB/s but normally averages around 300 - 600kb/s

Comment

• TurboFC3S
                      • Jun 2001

Originally posted by eva2000
                      that's nice... but essentially that's capped at 3MB/sec

not many sites need more than that ... my rented dedicated server from VO has experienced bursts between 3.9MB/s to 8MB/s but normally averages around 300 - 600kb/s
                      We hit our rate limit a few times a day. But that's a lot better than getting charged hundreds of dollars more. I'm sure the only times that our limit is hit is when somebody sitting on a T3 or such tries to download one of our 50+ meg video files. If you do have a site that moves 200+ gig/month, I believe our way is the way to go.

Comment

• jam583
                        • Jul 2001

Skynetweb.com is in Baltimore Maryland

PennyHost.com is in Springfield, Virginia

I mainly know ones on the east coast. PennyHost has a nice NOC located with a news channel.
                        Jason Miller
                        http://www.GMPerformanceTuning.com
                        http://projecthillside.com
                        http://weekendoasis.net
                        http://jamz.net

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...