Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wampforum
    • Mar 2010

need a new host quick!!

ah nightmare - just recently moved across to vb4 from php. For the last 9 months our forum has been building up to a massive charity event (the largets of its type in the world) which climaxes this sunday.
    Anyway we have been hosted on a sharde plan with 1000megs for about 2 years then suddenbly account suspended - took ages to find out why - apparently our forum was using upto 40% of the resources (their limit is 4% - I received no notifiaction as they had an old email address!!
    So the only solution they have is to go from dhared hosting at $5 a month to their dedicated at $159 a month.
    My site cannot afford this. We have 212 memebrs, vbulletin suite and a photopost gallery (around 200 photos) and that is it -can anyone suggest a host? also Im rather worried how such a small site can drain so much resource? we have a shoutbox and advanced stats running but thats iand even then as I said 212 members - most we have ever had on at one time is around 25!! we dont run an arcade or anything like that.
    Im really miffed that this happened 2 days before a charity event so any help would be great
    thanks

Brett
  • Abomination
    • Jul 2008

Can you have them migrate you over to a dedicated for 1 month until the event is over?

Then you can get through the event? Or turn off all plugins and stay where you are for a few days? Your site should run just fine on shared.

Lots of good hosting companies, webhostingtalk even has special offers, but there are many things you have not stated that would affect what people could suggest e.g. 40% of a really slow server? Fast server? VB4 suite? vb4 forums?

Comment

• wampforum
      • Mar 2010

im running suite with photopost classifieds shoutbox advanced stats rotatating banners whos online and full editor on quick reply mods oh and a countdown timer

it seems urljet are good and the starting price ok though im concerned well overuse resources there too

Comment

• rexxxy
        • Feb 2010
        • 4.2.X

have you taken a look at hostmonster.com i use them and i have video radio all kind of things running on my site with no issues

Comment

• wampforum
          • Mar 2010

signed up with URLjet, more expensive a month but been great, for someone thats a complete newbie with ftp's and the like its a god send - great bunch of guys, cant speak highly enough of them. Cant see me ever moving from them

Comment

• syrus.xl
            • Jun 2005

Nice to see a fellow URLJet member on here! I have been with URLJet since last year never had a single issue since I have been with them. Excellent uptime and service, second to none!

Comment

• Jedito
              • May 2001

You may want to contact to your next potential host before signup, specially since you have a shoutbox which is banned in many hosts.
              Downtown Host LLC - Shared Web Hosting - Offering the best service since 2001.
              LiteSpeed Support - Vbulletin Optimized servers

Comment

• syrus.xl
                • Jun 2005

Many sites use shoutboxes - it depends really on how they are setup and the server specifications. A good host will not ban you for using one, if they use high specification servers, I have two accounts under myself using shoutboxes - both are on high level refresh rates of 1 and 5 seconds.

If a host oversells then you do run the risk of causing high server loads. But it is best to ask beforehand, if you opt for cheap hosting, many will use low spec servers or will be overselling.

Comment

• Jedito
                  • May 2001

Originally posted by syrus.xl
                  Many sites use shoutboxes - it depends really on how they are setup and the server specifications. A good host will not ban you for using one, if they use high specification servers, I have two accounts under myself using shoutboxes - both are on high level refresh rates of 1 and 5 seconds.

If a host oversells then you do run the risk of causing high server loads. But it is best to ask beforehand, if you opt for cheap hosting, many will use low spec servers or will be overselling.
                  That's incorrect, it does not depend of the server hardware nor if the host oversell their service, having a site running queries every second indeed is a pain, specially if the table on where it does have to check is too large and non-indexed.
                  Same happen with "Chat like" scripts or plugins. Some hosts may allow it, but many other will not, but any of those, are not directly related to the server specifications on where the site is hosted.

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jedito
                    That's incorrect, it does not depend of the server hardware nor if the host oversell their service, having a site running queries every second indeed is a pain, specially if the table on where it does have to check is too large and non-indexed.
                    Same happen with "Chat like" scripts or plugins. Some hosts may allow it, but many other will not, but any of those, are not directly related to the server specifications on where the site is hosted.
                    Sure it is, if you cram 1000 sites onto the same underpowered machine, the webhost is not going to allow users to use resources like that since it will bring the server to its knees. Todays servers should be able to handle a moderately large number o f Queries per second if the software and hardware are configured and setup correctly.

Comment

• Jedito
                      • May 2001

Right, but we are talking about shared accounts on where you share resources with at least other 100 sites (the average number of sites on most companies x 2 or 3 though).

Sure, you can try to run google in a shared account too and acuse to the host of use underpowered and overloaded servers.

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

Thats why I stoped using shared webhosts. With as much as webhosts oversell resources these days, its a wonder anyone can get a site running.

100 clients each at 200gb of bandwidth and 20gb of storage. Must be some low end sata drives in that machine.

Comment

• Jedito
                          • May 2001

A VPS wont make any good if the Server have 30 nodes on where some "hosting companies" run, hosting hundred of customers, or if they have single HDs instead of RAID or low RAM, etc.

If you don't want to depend of anybody get a dedicated server.

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

I've been running dedicated since about 05 I wouldn't use a normal shared webhost for anything important/serious.

Comment

• ryan1918
                              • Jun 2010

There is no way with the site like that that could be using that much cpu, something must be wrong like a script messed up leaking memory

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...