• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottperkins
    • Sep 2000

SCSI is SLOWER then EIDE single drives

Sorry but a single SCSI drive is slower than a single
    EIDE drive because of greater overhead. Only in multiple
    SCSI drive arrangements are SCSI faster because the intellegence of the SCSI allows simultaneous action on other drives ( prefetch etc ) This assumes same brand and rotational speed /buffer etc. Dont waste money on SCSI
    single drive. Get a 10,000 RPM EIDE unless going full bore
    raid with multiple drives.

yeah... for now EIDE seems okay for now... [/QUOTE]

Yes in the overall scheme of things, this is a smaller part, having enough memory available and the proper tuning make most of the difference. I just wanted to point out the performance increase difference of having SCSI over EIDE.

Actually, when I am spending "other" people's money I like to have many small very fast SCSI disks over having fewer larger EIDE disks.

-Chris [/B][/QUOTE]

Comment

• TechTalk
      • Jul 2000

Re: SCSI is SLOWER then EIDE single drives

Originally posted by scottperkins
      Sorry but a single SCSI drive is slower than a single
      EIDE drive because of greater overhead. Only in multiple
      SCSI drive arrangements are SCSI faster because the intellegence of the SCSI allows simultaneous action on other drives ( prefetch etc ) This assumes same brand and rotational speed /buffer etc. Dont waste money on SCSI
      single drive. Get a 10,000 RPM EIDE unless going full bore
      raid with multiple drives.

yeah... for now EIDE seems okay for now...

Yes in the overall scheme of things, this is a smaller part, having enough memory available and the proper tuning make most of the difference. I just wanted to point out the performance increase difference of having SCSI over EIDE.

Actually, when I am spending "other" people's money I like to have many small very fast SCSI disks over having fewer larger EIDE disks.

-Chris
      [/QUOTE] [/B][/QUOTE]

This seems odd since scsi drives have built in processors and ide dont

Comment

• scottperkins
        • Sep 2000

IDE drives do have controllers integrated with the drive.
        Not since MFM and that other type that sounds like eide
        from the early ninty's have the controller processors been separate. Still, look at any of the WIN benchmarks for the super duperest systems and the EIDES outperform the SCSI systems where single drive configurations exist in transfer rate and seek times.

No big difference here as splitting hairs is not necessary
        but saving money is important and SCSI is foolishly spent
        on small single drive systems.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...