Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TechTalk
    • Jul 2000

Looking for RELIABLE dedicated hosting

Im looking for a company that offers reliable and cheap dedicated hosting. Can anyone reccomend any? Please only mention ones that you have personally had good luck with.

I have had it with my current host because they cant seem to keep network connectivity to the server for longer than an hour. I appreciate any feedback

~Chris
  • Chris Schreiber
    • Jun 2000
    • 4.0.x

Well I've had great luck with digitalNATION, never had any problems with them at all, my network connection has always been up and available, and my machine has been running great. There are a few others here with dN as well, and I've never heard any of them complain. They're not cheap though... but worth a look: http://www.dedicatedserver.com

I've also heard many good things about RackSpace as well, I know there are a few people here with them.

-Chris

Comment

• George L
      Former vBulletin Support
      • May 2000
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by TechTalk
      Im looking for a company that offers reliable and cheap dedicated hosting. Can anyone reccomend any? Please only mention ones that you have personally had good luck with.

I have had it with my current host because they cant seem to keep network connectivity to the server for longer than an hour. I appreciate any feedback

~Chris
      yep my dedicated server is with rackspace.com and the service and support is great... i don't think i know of any other place that phones you internationally to ask how I am doing with my server and whether there is anything they can help me with

upgrades are fast, replies are within 24 hrs via support tickets or you can ring them up 24/7 - i am in Australia so prefer the support tickets.

they have their own forums for clients, although not many people go there except me and a few others http://my.rackspace.com/forums/Ultimate.cgi
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• George L
        Former vBulletin Support
        • May 2000
        • 3.8.x

oh yeah forgot i like their pay as you need it way of doing things...

i believe mogrish uses rackspace as well

configure you own server at http://www.rackspace.com/goconfigure/configure.php it's alot of fun actually
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• JimF
          • May 2000

If reliability is your #1 concern, I would go with DellHost. You can't get much more reliable than that - the servers are administered by the same company that builds them, and you better believe that a Fortune500 company like Dell would have some huge pipes going in there. Not to mention that 9 times out of 10 their systems are cheaper than at Rackspace, or Digital Nation. I've been tossing around the idea of going with them myself.

Just my .02

-jim

Comment

• George L
            Former vBulletin Support
            • May 2000
            • 3.8.x

just wondering places like dell have a 12 month contract on their servers, does min contract length come into the equation when you guys look for dedicated hosts ?

it seems like it never gets a mention when people ask what is recommended ?

Comment

• Dave#
              • Jul 2000

DI

I'm with dialtoneinternet (www.dialtoneinternet.com)

DI is good if you know your way around a server- cheap fast and reliable

Only downside is they use the 95th percentile for bandwidth calculations- thats a real problem if you like me transfer a gig and a half over 8 hours

Chris:

Do verio aka DN still use the 95th?
              http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

• George L
                Former vBulletin Support
                • May 2000
                • 3.8.x

well i believe verio/dn don't use the 95th rule... i looked at DI and the only thing that got me was their 3 month min contract...

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
                  • Jun 2000
                  • 4.0.x

Re: DI

Originally posted by Dave#
                  Do verio aka DN still use the 95th?
                  Actually I am not 100% sure about this... the last thing I read about how they measure bandwidth is simply that the calculate it at the switch.... as far as I know they don't

-Chris

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
                    • Jun 2000
                    • 4.0.x

Originally posted by eva2000
                    just wondering places like dell have a 12 month contract on their servers, does min contract length come into the equation when you guys look for dedicated hosts ?
                    Actually that's why I did not go with Dell, because there was a 12 month commitment.... they were in my top 3 choices though (after dN and RackSpace), and I do believe that you can't beat their hardware and the pricing is pretty good as well. It's too bad they require that level of commitment... so much changes week to week in this industry that I've found never to get locked into a solution for too long.

-Chris

Comment

• TechTalk
                      • Jul 2000

Thanks everyone After doing alot of research I think I am going to go with rackspace.com I have never seen a company with support this good!

Thanks again
                      ~Chris

Comment

• George L
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • May 2000
                        • 3.8.x

great stuff .... may your hosting days be hassle free Oh yeah techtalk you can also make back your money with rackspace.com's affiliate program... i joined as well i think your forum would be better suited to such a program...

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
                          • Jun 2000
                          • 4.0.x

Originally posted by TechTalk
                          I think I am going to go with rackspace.com I have never seen a company with support this good!
                          Yes RackSpace certainly excels in the support area, I don't think I've ever heard of someone that wasn't happy with it.

-Chris

Comment

• George L
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • May 2000
                            • 3.8.x

well i hope techtalk hasn't ordered yet cause you have to check out the specials

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
                              • Jun 2000
                              • 4.0.x

Originally posted by eva2000
                              have to check out the specials
                              That RackSpace starter is very nice... the only thing I would change is to replace the EIDE drive with SCSI (scuzzy ) drive.

-Chris

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...