How common is Plesk control panel with hosts ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • D. Thomas
    • Jan 2006

How common is Plesk control panel with hosts ?

Currently with Webintellects and using Plesk 8.6 for forum backups but occured to me that if armagedon took out not just my server but my host company entirely and I had to find another host ASAP the new host would probably have to be using Plesk as well. Reason being the Plesk backup/restore seems to utilize a unique file compression code so I might not be able to restore the database unless the new host also used Plesk.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Its moderately common, most people seem to prefer cPanel to plesk. What is the filetype plesk is supplying you with/.

Comment

• D. Thomas
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Zachery
      What is the filetype plesk is supplying you with/.
      Good question... I wish I knew. If I attempt to open a backup to check the results, all I get is "file type-unknown" I asked about this on the Plesk forum a year ago and never got a response. Seems like I once tried to view files via extraction tool like WinRAR, but even that I couldn't get to work.

FWIW, under "type of file" in properties for the most recent Plesk backup, it has "14 File (.14)"... does that mean anything ?
      Last edited by D. Thomas; Tue 9 Feb '10, 4:24am.

Comment

• xnetco
        • Sep 2005
        • 3.8.x

I actually prefer Plesk over cPanel as it takes less resources and gives you much more control over the OS. The guys over at www.vbulletinhosting.co.uk support Plesk.
        Tim
        Nimbus Hosting
        www.nimbushosting.co.uk (vB Hosting Experts)

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

I dispise plesk for the fact its UI is horrible for both back and frontend. Far too much javascrpt.

Comment

• D. Thomas
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by zachery
            i dispise plesk for the fact its ui is horrible for both back and frontend. Far too much javascrpt.
            ui = ?

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

User Interface, the web based console you use to do configure accounts and manage the account is based on a Windows XP Explorer Shell and has a massive ammount of javascript usage and its a pita to work with it. cPanel's interface is much more point and click. Much less intresuive javascript.

Comment

• syrus.xl
                • Jun 2005

I have used both Plesk and cPanel, and now I would not go back to Plesk. I have the option to install it, if I want it on my VPS, but that is far as it goes - cPanel is much more superior in many ways, and more reliable. TBH, I'd rather use a shell than Plesk. hehe

Comment

• goyo
                  • Dec 2002

Originally posted by xnetco
                  I actually prefer Plesk over cPanel as it takes less resources and gives you much more control over the OS. The guys over at www.vbulletinhosting.co.uk support Plesk.
                  With Plesk you have MUCH less control over OS. I don't know where to start...for example with cPanel you can recompile/upgrade apache/php/mysql and change every important option thrum a GUI (save profiles and apply on different servers)...it works pretty well in the last few years.
                  If you mean OS control from command line...then you don't need Plesk anyways as you're managing your servers from SSH and you can use a comparable free CP for your customers.

Comment

• cbiweb
                    • Apr 2004
                    • 4.1.x

I've only come across one client who uses Plesk (99% of the others have cPanel), and I hope I never come across another one.
                    ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• alemcherry
                      • Jun 2006

Plesk is reasonably popular, more so in windows environment. cPanel is more popular, even they have a similar back up that can be restorted on another cpanel account. if ease of moving around is a concern, cpanel is the way to go.
                      Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

• nforums
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2009
                        • 3.8.x

I despise plesk and just about everything about it I find a lot more complicated then it needs to be.

Comment

• feldon23
                          • Nov 2001
                          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by xnetco
                          Did Plesk ever grant the ability to create an FTP account inside an existing account?

For instance create an FTP account for Sandra who can write files to existingsite/public_html/sandra/.

This has been in cPanel since day 1. In Plesk, I tried for hours and finally created a new account for Sandra and did a symlink to the address I gave and had to set all the files to 0777.

And as Zachery said, the Javascript is horrendous. Trying to manipulate several folders or several accounts is nightmarishly slow due to having to do everything via sluggish javascript popups.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...