• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Been Told
    • Oct 2006
    • 3.6.x

Who can recommend a Root Server Host?

Hi,
    I'm considering getting a (US-based) root server (unmanaged) and I'm looking to spend $65-75 per month max.

It should offer at least 200GB of space and should have a fair pricing model as far as monthly transfer rates go.
    Good customer support is important as well.

So, any recommendations?

Just to add:
    I'm planning on running 2 vBulletin boards, 1 IPB board, 2 Wordpress blogs (low traffic), 1 Joomla and 2 MediaWikis (low traffic) on that.

If you're going to recommend a company (thanks!), please don't recommend one you've only been with a month or two. I'm looking for companies that have a proven long term positive track record.
  • terryfavors
    • Sep 2009
    • 3.8.x

I have been with this company 11 years not one complaint!

Comment

• anthonyparsons
      • Mar 2005

I believe Linode is the only reputable one I know off where you have US based and totally self managed. They give you the basic kernel and control panel, the rest is up to you I believe. I do not see a plan though that offers the space you require, though they may be able to cater this for you uniquely... unsure. Linode have some pretty solid recommendations throughout the webhost forums.

http://www.hostrocket.com/dedicatedserverhosting.html have a cheap, managed though, dedicated for $60 a month, but still only 60Gb storage. Bargain basement Intel. They have been around quite a long time now.

I am sure many hosts can cater your data limit requirements though for an additional cost.

Comment

• RMCS
        • Nov 2009
        • 3.8.x

Take a look at interserver.com, theplanet.com and Softlayer.com. Please check these three and compare, perhaps one of them will help you.

Comment

• Bigwrenn
          • Mar 2004
          • 4.2.X

I've been with www.lunarpages.com for a couple years and the few problems I've had they took care of in a very timely fashion. They have very good customer and tech support.
          3OTB | A unique place indeed!

Comment

• anthonyparsons
            • Mar 2005

Apart from it being Lunar Pages... who kind off disgust me if the word reputable is used, do provide:

Dedicated i7 IntelĀ® Core™ i7 2.66ghz 3 GB DDR3 250 GB $245/mo
            Haven't seen a host provide the i7 series yet... considering they outperform the xeon on benchmark testing. That is a pretty impressive price for the specs. Rarely something like that kind off baffles me nowadays with hosting. I am wondering where the catch is... lag in connection, etc.

Comment

• alemcherry
              • Jun 2006

For unmanaged servers, thePlanet is a good place. I have used their service for a long time, they are reliable.
              Even godaddy is not a bad choice for the cheap servers, if you know what you are doing. I know there are a lot of negative review about godaddy, but my experience has been positive. I wont recommend their managed services, but if you can manage your own servers, they are pretty good. I have hosted with them a busy vb board and moved away only when I needed high end servers which they did not have at that time.
              Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

• Been Told
                • Oct 2006
                • 3.6.x

Thanks for all the feedback.
                I'm pretty surprised at the cost of dedicated servers in the US. Here in Germany where these things (shared hosting at least) tend to be more expensive, I have this setup:
                2GB RAM, 400GB HD, DualCore CPU, 2TB traffic, 7 IPs, etc. for $75 p/m.
                It seems at the moment like I can't get anything NEAR that in the US for that kind of money... Have prices for hosting increased?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...