Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brvheart
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.8.x

that was what I was afraid of, he claims that since it is the last thing that he sees loading on the page it had to be it......

Do you recommend blue host? I have seen debate on this forum go both ways.

Comment

• steven s
      • Jul 2004
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by brvheart
      Now he says with only my DB he sees 5-7 temp table DB copies - any thoughts on that?
      I have several tables named beginning with taggregate_temp. I think that's normal.

I think you will find positive and negative comments for just about every host.
      I've been using realwebhost.net for a few years now. Infact, I have 2 VPSes and one shared account with them.
      ...steven
      www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
      bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
      "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• brvheart
        • Aug 2005
        • 3.8.x

do you like them? At this point I am looking for anything that will be good service with the site - I liked the price point with bluehost but as you have said I have read good and bad about them....open to anything.

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

that was what I was afraid of, he claims that since it is the last thing that he sees loading on the page it had to be it......

There is javascript loading, its not a server load related thing.

Comment

• Itworx4me
            • Jun 2002
            • 3.6.x

I would go with:

Premium Web Hosting on Linux Servers with 99.99% Uptime. Domains, Email & WordPress Solutions with 24x7 Customer Support & Money-Back Guarantee.

Reasonable prices for both shared and dedicated. I have both kind of accounts there and vbulletin runs good on both systems.

Thanks,
            Itworx4me

Comment

• brvheart
              • Aug 2005
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Itworx4me
              I would go with:

Premium Web Hosting on Linux Servers with 99.99% Uptime. Domains, Email & WordPress Solutions with 24x7 Customer Support & Money-Back Guarantee.

Reasonable prices for both shared and dedicated. I have both kind of accounts there and vbulletin runs good on both systems.

Thanks,
              Itworx4me
              Thank you - I am checking them out right now. I would be doing the shared server, my site is not big enough to do dedicated yet. Maybe with proper hosting it can be. I also like that they have backups - looks like nightly to boot!

Comment

• RadioErewan
                • Feb 2008
                • 3.8.x

Not much of traffic might slow down vB. Crons are triggered by pageviews. And some of them are really slow. I am facing it on our test environment, where 3-5 ppl are allowed to entrer. It is waaaay slower than production.

Regards

Comment

• syrus.xl
                  • Jun 2005

vBulletin 4.0 may seem slower than the 3 series, but it really depends on how your server is setup and configured for vBulletin. I am running a test 'clone' of vBulletin 4.0 and to me its just as fast as the 3 series, however I don't have the normal standard server setup.

For a start I use APC Cache and Memcache, which can both be used if vBulletin is configured correctly. I do not use Apache server, instead that is replaced by LiteSpeed - Basically, if I click on any link in vb4 the page is rendered instantly.

I used to be with www.LiquidWeb.com on a VPS package, but another client required PCI compliancy which meant I had to have my VPS Control Panel disabled. While I was on their servers I used Memcache on vBulletin, because you will find it will give you better speed on your forums. After having issues with that host, I went looking for a new host, and found one that many people had been using for quite awhile.

Now I use www.Urljet.com - totally different hosting... very quick response time to support tickets, and all servers are optimized for vBulletin, LiteSpeed and R1 File Guardian comes as standard on all packages. Depending on your package requirements, you can have additional accelerators installed. Moving to this host was the best move I have ever done. You will see an increase in speed as soon as your vbulletin is hosted by this company.

Just my experience of what used to be slow servers and now ultra fast!

Comment

• Been Told
                    • Oct 2006
                    • 3.6.x

I had an account there. Running just one vBulletin. No heavy addons.
                    It kept saying that my account was exceeding its CPU quota. When I asked support, they said that the PHP scripts I was running were poorly written and must be optimized. When I asked them how they suggest optimizing vBulletin, they didn't even answer that.
                    From then on, Bluehost has stopped being a host I would ever consider.
                    Also their customer forum forbids any discussion of negative experiences or aspects of Bluehost. Or at least that's how it was when I was there. The best thing was that the owner kept claiming the forum was owned by a customer, not bluehost.
                    They also have another host. And that host had a customer forum too. And guess what - supposedly it was also run by a "customer" who also forbade any criticism of that host. lol

Comment

• alemcherry
                      • Jun 2006

What the host says is silly excuses, like google adsense slowing the site(it runs on client side!) , myisam tables! and they not being able to reproduce the problem. I guess you need to find a better host.

Personaly I would recommend Hostgator. They are one of the best in that price range. Obviously not everybody will agree with it, but just like the majority of users, I found them quite reliable.
                      Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

• brvheart
                        • Aug 2005
                        • 3.8.x

so I wrote a long winded email that said this in a nut shell -

vbulletin says find a new host, other knowledgeable admins/owners that run vb say find a new host -

You say the problem will be present if I move the board elsewhere - you refund my money, I will move the board - IF it comes back, I will move back, pay you and eat some crow, IF it DOES NOT come back - you pay my hosting for the next 5 years....

I appreciate all the feedback and advice here that you guys have provided - stay tuned for the reply

Comment

• brvheart
                          • Aug 2005
                          • 3.8.x

and the answer -

If you move this to a host your going to need to get a dedicated host for about 50 to 100 a month for what your wanting and what you have with me. I do not know why all the sudden vb is doing this to you but I do see it is that quick reply doing it, Yes I am 100% sure of this. You asked for my help but when I tell you what I do see for %100 you don't want to believe me. When the quick reply is on it does a copy temp table to the db and can hang for up to I have seen 12 seconds.
                          If you get a client side sql app, like navicat on your mac, Then log into your db and set your refresh to 0 or 1 second
                          you can watch this happen in real time. I am not making this up, Watch it for yourself, Then once you see what I am seeing,
                          go turn that quick reply off and watch it stop. I fully tested this out from three locations now, It does the same no matter were I go. Please go look for yourself.

Comment

• Loco.M
                            • Mar 2005
                            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                            Find a new webhost, he clearly has no clue what he is talking about.
                            I agree, it doesn't sound like your host knows what they are doing
                            -- Web Developer for hire
                            ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• brvheart
                              • Aug 2005
                              • 3.8.x

which plan would you say would fit vbulletin without getting a "you are using to much resources" note during the month? I am looking at the 7.95 plan right now with them - and possibly the 12.95 per month plan.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                                • Sep 2001

You may want to try disabling plugins and products for a day or so to see if that resolves the issue.
                                You may also want to disable quick reply for a day or two as well since your host believes that is the cause of the issue.

-- Are you running that mods that would impact quick reply or replies in general like these?

[Ajax] Check for similar thread before posting a new one
                                Doublepost Prevention
                                Live Topic
                                Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment