• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brvheart
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.8.x

Host says Vbulletin VB Design is flawed - is cause of slowness

Hi Guys -

To make a really long story short - my host when asked about slowness of the site says that Vbulletin is not designed well and is the cause of the slowness that we see. It does not matter what we click on - new post, WOL, Calendar, Faqs, a thread, a section/forum you name we see slowness. The host is not able to reproduce the issue, but all my members see as do I from multiple connections (ruling out a internet/ISP issue). He also blames it on the fact that the tables are myisam tables, but then also has blamed google ads for slowing up the pageloads - I just need some advice or feedback so that I can track down my issues. My forum is not very populated and not that active compared to many other VBulletin forums that I frequent and none of those are slow.

Any help with this is appreciated - I am at my wits end.
  • Anseur
    • Jun 2004
    • 4.1.x

what's the server load averages like? (look in your ACP) how big is your database? define slow? are you on a shared hosting package? VPS? dedicated?
    MCO Raid Alliance - Shadowsong EU MCO guild home.

Comment

• brvheart
      • Aug 2005
      • 3.8.x

It is shared I believe, but it was supposed to be "dedicated" pretty much to my site. As far as slowness - when clicking on an item - be it new post etc, 10-20 seconds later (sometimes longer) it will finally show up. This is not always the case, sometimes it is fast, but not very often. I was told by the host that this is the nature of VB and myisam tables as they lock not allowing anyone to do anything with them. Note that the slowness was not always the case, when I first opened up, the site was as slow as a snail - I complained for almost 4-6 months, I had the site growing and we had a live event for a mma show - the site crashed, no one could get to the site, it just sat there and spun and spun like the hamster fell off the wheel. This was a point of contention as I was brand new, and had 500 some guest trying to view site - none could get on, since then I have struggled growing and not seen that amount of traffic again period. So I fought with the host and he finally found the issue (it was internal not a flaw of VB). After that the site ran great for a while and now has gotten back to the random lockups and slowness.

Sorry for all the history there I felt it relevant for this topic -

As for the load averages - 1.26 1.02 1.16 | 13 Users Online (2 members and 11 guests), the DB I believe is 105MB

Also - thank you for the quick reply
      Last edited by brvheart; Mon 23 Nov '09, 8:03am.

Comment

• brvheart
        • Aug 2005
        • 3.8.x

EDIT - sorry the DB is 105MB I edited the post.

Comment

• Lynne
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Oct 2004

Do you have a lot of modifications? Do you have a chat/shout box? An arcade? Any other 'large' modifications?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
          vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
          Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
          If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• brvheart
            • Aug 2005
            • 3.8.x

I do have a chat box - I disabled that and Arcade - no one uses that for the most part. I have tried to keep the mods to a minimum - but to note - they were all there when the board was running fast also - if anything I have cleaned up and removed some of the mods.

Comment

• Lynne
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Oct 2004

If your board *was* running fast and now isn't and nothing has changed, then it sounds more like more is going on on your server and it's slowing you down.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
              vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
              Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
              If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• brvheart
                • Aug 2005
                • 3.8.x

that was my thought also and my point to him, but he refuses to see that as valid - it is either an update that he put on or something else related to the environment in which it runs, not vbulletin having an engineering flaw.....

I told him that I would take the info that he claims and get some more info from the community that makes it.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                  • Sep 2001

How many posts do you currently have?
                  How many members are generally online when you are experiencing the slow down?

It sounds like you have a fairly small site in which case vbulletin should be fine for you. If you hvaen't already, try storing attachments and avatars and images in the file system instead of the database. Also check and see what cache's are installed on the server and enabling the use of it in the config.php file.
                  Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• brvheart
                    • Aug 2005
                    • 3.8.x

Hi Reeve -

It is a very small site - 22 members visit per day, no more than that online at one time. I have moved all the items to the file system and followed all the optimization articles out there. I really am glad that you all are saying the same things that I have said to him.

Comment

• brvheart
                      • Aug 2005
                      • 3.8.x

Now he says with only my DB he sees 5-7 temp table DB copies - any thoughts on that?

The host also wants to know if you recommend running the mysql querry cache
                      Last edited by brvheart; Mon 23 Nov '09, 10:52am.

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

Theres no reason to not turn on mysql query cacheing

Comment

• brvheart
                          • Aug 2005
                          • 3.8.x

thank you Zachery

Comment

• brvheart
                            • Aug 2005
                            • 3.8.x

now he says that it is the quick reply.....I give up

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

Find a new webhost, he clearly has no clue what he is talking about.

Comment