My Review of URLJet.com: My new home after months of hell

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • syrus.xl
    • Jun 2005

LOL... Ryan, you obviously do not do your research at all! Check vBulletin Options Gallery and you will soon see:

vBulletin 4.x Forum
    • Branding-free Option - $170.00
    • Professional Installation - $150.00

That is what I was referring to, and yes some people do pay that fee, only because they do not know of anyone that could do it for them, when they initially purchase a vBulletin license.

And that link where someone is charging $20 to install it, I would not trust that either. That is a Wordpress powered script, many people know that is a "Security Level 1" script, I certainly would not be stupid enough to enter any of my details in there.

I have seen many vBulletin + Wordpress installations compromised, and in a majority of cases it is Wordpress that they gained entry. If vBulletin is compromised it's normally done through an installation that is not up-to-date or through a secuirty hole of a thrird-party modification.

Comment

• ryan1918
      • Jun 2010

Where is this at, that is charging $150?

Why wouldn't you trust that site, if they are installing a vBulletin forum for you, what is it they could do to your account/forum since it's brand new, and it would be a shared account anyways so I doubt the company would get off with stealing a shared account plan, I know of at least 10 different sites that charge less than $50 to install vb.

In cpanel you can enable it, so it has one click installs.

I don't see what's the big deal by installing it, it's no different than any other forum software like phpBB or alike, and I don't think there's a huge market for people needing it installed because if they can't install it, I doubt they know how to even start a website in the first place, lol!

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
        vBulletin Support
        • Aug 2002
        • 5.7.X

The vBulletin Professinal Installation service costs $150 and we are steady with people using that service so there is a demand for it.
        Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
          • Jul 2008

Another URLJet fanboy right here.
          Back in 2008 Siteground was hosting my site and demanding I upgrade to a dedicated server (they said even a virtual wouldn't handle my traffic) so i found URLJet- I gave them all the traffic info/resources I was using and hoping I would at least be able to go with a virtual from them rather than a dedicated at Siteground. When I sent them my usage info they said "You could get our minimum shared hosting plan" and still be OK... So rather than pay like $200+ to Siteground I cam to URLJet and paid $14.95 a month (I didn't need them to do at vBulletin setup for me.) And my site has been fine on shared hosting ever since... I recently upgraded the plan because I was approaching the disk space max with the cheapest plan.

Only 1 time was my site down for more than 5 minutes (due to urljet) and I was able to pick up the phone and talk with someone who knew what was going on and able to tell me what was wrong and when it would be restored. I think the total down time was about 2 or 3 hours in the last 2 years.

Comment

• ryan1918
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
            The vBulletin Professinal Installation service costs $150 and we are steady with people using that service so there is a demand for it.
            Damn, that's expensive, well in my eyes, but it's wonderful to people that don't know how to use it.

Comment

• testerv
              • Dec 2011

Any change in opinion of urljet? I heard all of their servers were down a couple of days ago for almost a full day.

Comment

• syrus.xl
                • Jun 2005

I got 3rd party monitoring daily on my VPS and thats not shown any downtime in ages - always on 100% uptime.

Comment

• Apokalupsis
                  • Feb 2002
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by testerv
                  Any change in opinion of urljet? I heard all of their servers were down a couple of days ago for almost a full day.
                  Not true. It may have been the case that some were, but could not have been all because mine did not suffer any noticeable down time whatsoever.

Comment

• testerv
                    • Dec 2011

Apokalupsis, do you use urljet for all of your hosting?

Comment

• Apokalupsis
                      • Feb 2002
                      • 3.6.x

No, just my primary site with vbulletin: www.onlinedebate.net

I use Hostgator for my reseller business. I used to host ODN at Hostgator, but it required too many resources and HG wanted to put me on a VP, costing me far too much. UrlJet allows me to be on a shared server and have been very good. The price is higher than most...but then, I've not had any serious issue with db crashes or errors since moving there. So in that respect, one could say you get what you pay for.

Comment

• Harv
                        • Jan 2005
                        • 4.1.x

Originally posted by syrus.xl
                        I got 3rd party monitoring daily on my VPS and thats not shown any downtime in ages - always on 100% uptime.
                        Same here. To my knowledge my UJ sites haven't been down in months. Last instance I can recall is an sql problem last November (just on one, not all) of my sites) that resulted in a bunch of DB errors being mailed to me. Lasted about an hour and a half before I put in a ticket, 15 or 20 minutes later was fixed.

Going on my third year with UJ, still as happy as I was on day one.

Comment

• testerv
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Apokalupsis

I use Hostgator for my reseller business. I used to host ODN at Hostgator, but it required too many resources and HG wanted to put me on a VP, costing me far too much. UrlJet allows me to be on a shared server and have been very good.
                          Can you have more than one domain on a URLjet shared server account?

Comment

• GregUURL
                            • May 2010
                            • 4.0.x

Yes...However, there are limits
                            Greg
                            www.urljet.com

Comment

• testerv
                              • Dec 2011

Greg, just curious as to why you didn't mention it on http://www.urljet.com/vbulletin-hosting.php? I almost didn't give URLjet consideration when I didn't see it listed as a feature.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                                • Jul 2008

URLJet seems to have a lot of great features they don't mention. I suggest you ask them if there is anything you need- they may be able to help.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...