My Review of URLJet.com: My new home after months of hell

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ryan1918
    replied
    I would stick with a smaller company that is going to actually work with you when you need it, and provide you what you should be getting instead of you being a Number they can actually know you by name.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by XLCR GODFATHER
    I could sit here and tell you the Countless reasons I left Urljet until my head exploded. Instead I will leave you with this, the end of my experience. After 1 year of hell at Urljet I submitted a ticket to close my website down on their server. They instead left my site operational and left me unable to access my Urljet account so I could foreword the urls I purchased from them which mind you are still paid in full. Thankfully I had already decided to go with a different format and was able to contact those I needed to via other means. Yes They are nice as can be on the phone and when you first start with them but give it time you'll see. Considering I was on here looking for other hosting opinions or suggestions I Really wasn't going to even post anything since I'm sure between the Urljet fanboys and the users on here that actually work for them this post will be lost in the sea of BS. I just had to say something in hopes that I can save at least 1 person from the same fate I endured. To be honest I even Partially considered dropping vBulletin due to their issues but to be honest I have become far to familiar with the script to do that at this point in the game. Whats even funnier in my support ticket to Urlet I mentioned this and they were more than happy to suggest "a more stable solution that we also provide full support for."

You can defend them, You can Argue semantics, you can even spam this thread in hopes of my post getting lost in a sea of others but you will never change my opinion or the facts of my experience.
    They are really nice guys and I have been with them for a year but I'm starting to come into your line of thinking.

Who do you recommend?

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by ryan1918
    Thanks to urljet not doing very good to a few customers, I actually gained 2 customers from them in the past few weeks..
    You may gain another, I'm getting very frustrated with my hosting with urljet.

They upgraded to a new server which my site is hosted on and the inconsistency is driving me nuts, fast then slow then fast then slow then down then up then DB errors, I WANT TO PULL MY HAIR OUT. Getting a ton of database errors and the site is down right now for the 15th time in the past week. Driving my users away in droves...

Leave a comment:

• ryan1918
    replied
    I've actually got many customers say they had bad services at urljet, they were previous hosts, I don't know exactly what the issues were, so I couldn't say for sure what was the problem, but no matter what host you run, and what you do, you will always have complaints/problems, but if you work with the customer to fix/resolve them you should be able to keep the customer and make them happy.

Leave a comment:

• FreakyGsMom
    replied
    I love URLJET, they handle EVERYTHING for me and I have zero complaints and I've been with them for 8 months. I've had Greg and Les work on several things for me and they're nice fellows. We had iPage for one month prior to switching to URLJET and they were the absolute WORST. My website was down for 3 days (the problem was on the server end) and they acted like it wasn't a big deal If you put in a ticket to URL JET they act on it practically immediately AND their customer service is just very nice.

The speed difference in my site between iPage and URL Jet was also like night and day.

Thanks and Good Luck to anyone switching servers!

Missie

An Online Coin Forum

Leave a comment:

• XLCR GODFATHER
    replied
    I could sit here and tell you the Countless reasons I left Urljet until my head exploded. Instead I will leave you with this, the end of my experience. After 1 year of hell at Urljet I submitted a ticket to close my website down on their server. They instead left my site operational and left me unable to access my Urljet account so I could foreword the urls I purchased from them which mind you are still paid in full. Thankfully I had already decided to go with a different format and was able to contact those I needed to via other means. Yes They are nice as can be on the phone and when you first start with them but give it time you'll see. Considering I was on here looking for other hosting opinions or suggestions I Really wasn't going to even post anything since I'm sure between the Urljet fanboys and the users on here that actually work for them this post will be lost in the sea of BS. I just had to say something in hopes that I can save at least 1 person from the same fate I endured. To be honest I even Partially considered dropping vBulletin due to their issues but to be honest I have become far to familiar with the script to do that at this point in the game. Whats even funnier in my support ticket to Urlet I mentioned this and they were more than happy to suggest "a more stable solution that we also provide full support for."

You can defend them, You can Argue semantics, you can even spam this thread in hopes of my post getting lost in a sea of others but you will never change my opinion or the facts of my experience.

Leave a comment:

• syrus.xl
    replied
    Originally posted by Shamil.
    Question, how exactly do they tweak their servers to exclusively run vB with 50+ mods?

SSD-RAID, which is what I'm doing? Noatime? I'd like to see their setup.
    Well, the only way you'll find out those features is by using URLJet - SSD Raid perhaps for a MySQL server, but thats about it at present with the prices.

There's many unpublished tweaks for vBulletin, then again you need the knowledge on how to implement them. I have seen one forum that boasts 60 million+ posts and runs faster than what vBulletin does on here, with multiple servers. There's much more to just tweaking a few parameters on some server - optimizing vBulletin is a task in itself, and not just something you learn overnight. Making it SEO friendly is just another area which needs much work on, but that may not be seen until around vBulletin 5.0 is released.

The key factor here is experience, pure and simple - just reading manuals and a few blogs just gets you 'tunnel-tutored', but lacking the practical experience to back up your knowledge. vBulletin can be tweaked in to a powerhouse of a forum, but getting it to work like that takes time and money, URLJet may provide you with 50+ tweaks, but there are many more tricks and tips that can be done. I have learnt many things over the years from people that are guru's in their own specialized areas, and implementing them in to scripts like vBulletin does make huge differences, not only in running but making your sites hit No.1 rankings on Google using the right keywords.

Many people make huge mistakes to start with when choosing a domain name, get this wrong and it can be the end of your forum before you even start. 'Out-of-the-box' vBulletin is really just the bares bones of any forum script, how you configure it can have a huge impact, getting that right style for your niche, using modifications that just create excessive queries is not the way to go, even though many users tend to add them like there's no tomorrow. I always think of vBulletin as a bare-boned system, and build upon that - this is probably why I have so many clients asking for my knowledge to ensure they don't make mistakes that would normally cause a forum to fail. I have many clients that would recommend me, I work on levels way above most people, and I have never had a single client leave me - coincidence, no - presentation and the level of work I do is what clients like.

I may praise URLJet on these forums, as well as others I am a member of, but it is all for good reasons, their support is one area that stands out from most - say, for example your vBulletin license was nolonger active, where would you go? Any standard host would try their best to help you, but URLJet just goes beyond anything I have ever seen from a support point of view - they certainly do not just leave you in the 'cold', they will still provide you with a high level of support even if your license has expired.

Having just a high-speed server with all the top hardware and software these days, is just not good enough, you need the support that will guarantee your forum stays online, regardless of any issues that may arise.

Ryan, you ask why URLJet packages are higher than most - simple, you get what you pay for! A few negative reviews here and there will not make much difference to a company that has a very high reputation already. URLJet is mentioned on many hosting sites, includng WHT - and on there I don't think I read one bad report. Like most say, the staff always seem friendly and no job is too small for them to deal with. In the past year I have only used their support twice, once to ask if they would migrate my data, since I was very busy at the time, and another time when I lost access to my sites, but that was due to a network issue and not URLJet.

If you think about it, lately the maintenance release frequency of vBulletin has increased rapidly, does URLJet charge for doing upgrades or new installs? No... and they must have many upgrades to do, my experience of vBulletin is that no single installation is the same - which makes the process even more drawn out.
    Last edited by syrus.xl; Wed 5 Jan '11, 4:53pm.

Leave a comment:

• ryan1918
    replied
    Thanks to urljet not doing very good to a few customers, I actually gained 2 customers from them in the past few weeks..

Leave a comment:

• ENF
    replied
    Originally posted by ryan1918
    But urljet is hosted by http://www.gsihosting.com, If you didn't know.
    Yep, a Enterprise class service provider (gsi). Perfectly acceptable to host a high availability website with a facility such as what they provide.

I'm sure that UrlJet buys rack space like every other provider out there. But they provide excellent tech support from what I've seen.

Leave a comment:

• TheLastSuperman
    replied
    I've never had an issue with URLJet, do other host use litespeed enabled servers? All I know is I've sent many clients to them who asked about a good host and I mean tons of clients and only one, I repeat one was unsatisfied due to his impatience imo. I can pick up the phone and call the owner on his direct line which btw he will gladly pass out along with his 1-800 number and I don't see many Hosts offering that so they can keep 24/7 support if I can speak to the owner directly - that's being involved not putting it all on autopilot. I can tell you recently I've had issues with another host, called in and overheard three other techs talking trash near earshot of the phone about clients who called in.. I'll leave their name out of it but some of you if I posted would swear by them and your none the wiser on who actually owns and runs it... I know Greg and he has morals and ethics plain and simple.

Comparing Hosting is like comparing used cars, there's always something you like out there, finding it and assuming you made the right decision at the right price is entirely up to you, it's not like your going to visit every car lot and see a 2006 Corvette for $15,000 at every lot on every price tag, as you all know prices vary and so do rates .

But what do I know? I'm only one out of a few with a large client base based entirely around vBulletin... I guess I don't know too much or who to recommend for that matter .

Leave a comment:

• ryan1918
    replied
    But urljet is hosted by http://www.gsihosting.com, If you didn't know.

Leave a comment:

• ryan1918
    replied
    [QUOTE=Shamil.;2096648]Question, how exactly do they tweak their servers to exclusively run vB with 50+ mods?

I'm wondering the same, I guess they know the super duper secrets of *nix, and that no one else knows.

They are expensive compared to you could get your own dedicated server for there higher end plans, with managed support, 24/7 support via email/ticket/phone.

There datacenters, are just beyond expensive for what they sell for $1000 costs $500 in real life. How isn't that expensive?

Leave a comment:

• Shamil.
    replied
    Originally posted by syrus.xl
    Ryan, I would suggest you look at URLJet and why they are slightly more expensive than most providers. Firstly, they do not offer anything "Unlimited" - you get exactly what you pay for, nothing less. But what makes them stand out and above others is their dedicated vBulletin support, which is second to none. I have been using vBulletin for quite awhile, but for a hosting company to provide support on a level that URLJet does with vBulletin is beyond the scope of any hosting company.

These days hosting is not just about having dedicated, VPS or even Shared Hosting - it's the support levels that are provided with it. Anyone can set themselves up with a few servers and call themselves a hosting company these days, but providing support at levels beyond that of most hosting companies is an achievement in itself, you only have to read some of their clients testimonials to see why they are so happy with them.

What I like about them is that, if you submit a support ticket it is dealt with promptly and in an efficient manner. If it is a vBulletin issue then they will fix it and even give you a run down on what the cause was in the first place, if you request it.

Ex*****ve hosting, No... Professional and Reliable, Yes...

Quote taken from their Blog!
    Question, how exactly do they tweak their servers to exclusively run vB with 50+ mods?

SSD-RAID, which is what I'm doing? Noatime? I'd like to see their setup.

Leave a comment:

• syrus.xl
    replied
    Ryan, I would suggest you look at URLJet and why they are slightly more expensive than most providers. Firstly, they do not offer anything "Unlimited" - you get exactly what you pay for, nothing less. But what makes them stand out and above others is their dedicated vBulletin support, which is second to none. I have been using vBulletin for quite awhile, but for a hosting company to provide support on a level that URLJet does with vBulletin is beyond the scope of any hosting company.

These days hosting is not just about having dedicated, VPS or even Shared Hosting - it's the support levels that are provided with it. Anyone can set themselves up with a few servers and call themselves a hosting company these days, but providing support at levels beyond that of most hosting companies is an achievement in itself, you only have to read some of their clients testimonials to see why they are so happy with them.

What I like about them is that, if you submit a support ticket it is dealt with promptly and in an efficient manner. If it is a vBulletin issue then they will fix it and even give you a run down on what the cause was in the first place, if you request it.

Ex*****ve hosting, No... Professional and Reliable, Yes...

Quote taken from their Blog!
    - Our techs tweak each servers’ software to exclusively run vBulletin with over 50 modifications.
    - Our shared servers run LiteSpeed which is up to 6x faster than Apache.
    - True hourly backup and restore using R1 Soft. This means your entire forum and databases are backed up every single hour. I can’t tell you the number of times a forum owner has called up and deleted large numbers of post or users by accident. With URLJet there is no need to worry, we can restore your forum to any point in time…that my friend is called peace of mind!

Leave a comment:

• Phil56
    replied
    UrlJet! Had them for about 8 hours and dropped them like a hot potatoe! They need to drop their rates by 80% then it would be worth it! Screwed up C-Panel tried to tell them would not listen.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...