Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apokalupsis
    replied
    Originally posted by testerv
    Any change in opinion of urljet? I heard all of their servers were down a couple of days ago for almost a full day.
    Not true. It may have been the case that some were, but could not have been all because mine did not suffer any noticeable down time whatsoever.

Leave a comment:

• syrus.xl
    replied
    I got 3rd party monitoring daily on my VPS and thats not shown any downtime in ages - always on 100% uptime.

Leave a comment:

• testerv
    replied
    Any change in opinion of urljet? I heard all of their servers were down a couple of days ago for almost a full day.

Leave a comment:

• ryan1918
    replied
    Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
    The vBulletin Professinal Installation service costs $150 and we are steady with people using that service so there is a demand for it.
    Damn, that's expensive, well in my eyes, but it's wonderful to people that don't know how to use it.

Leave a comment:

• BirdOPrey5
    replied
    Another URLJet fanboy right here.
    Back in 2008 Siteground was hosting my site and demanding I upgrade to a dedicated server (they said even a virtual wouldn't handle my traffic) so i found URLJet- I gave them all the traffic info/resources I was using and hoping I would at least be able to go with a virtual from them rather than a dedicated at Siteground. When I sent them my usage info they said "You could get our minimum shared hosting plan" and still be OK... So rather than pay like $200+ to Siteground I cam to URLJet and paid $14.95 a month (I didn't need them to do at vBulletin setup for me.) And my site has been fine on shared hosting ever since... I recently upgraded the plan because I was approaching the disk space max with the cheapest plan.

Only 1 time was my site down for more than 5 minutes (due to urljet) and I was able to pick up the phone and talk with someone who knew what was going on and able to tell me what was wrong and when it would be restored. I think the total down time was about 2 or 3 hours in the last 2 years.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    The vBulletin Professinal Installation service costs $150 and we are steady with people using that service so there is a demand for it.

Leave a comment:

• ryan1918
    replied
    Where is this at, that is charging $150?

Why wouldn't you trust that site, if they are installing a vBulletin forum for you, what is it they could do to your account/forum since it's brand new, and it would be a shared account anyways so I doubt the company would get off with stealing a shared account plan, I know of at least 10 different sites that charge less than $50 to install vb.

In cpanel you can enable it, so it has one click installs.

I don't see what's the big deal by installing it, it's no different than any other forum software like phpBB or alike, and I don't think there's a huge market for people needing it installed because if they can't install it, I doubt they know how to even start a website in the first place, lol!

Leave a comment:

• syrus.xl
    replied
    LOL... Ryan, you obviously do not do your research at all! Check vBulletin Options Gallery and you will soon see:

vBulletin 4.x Forum
    • Branding-free Option - $170.00
    • Professional Installation - $150.00

That is what I was referring to, and yes some people do pay that fee, only because they do not know of anyone that could do it for them, when they initially purchase a vBulletin license.

And that link where someone is charging $20 to install it, I would not trust that either. That is a Wordpress powered script, many people know that is a "Security Level 1" script, I certainly would not be stupid enough to enter any of my details in there.

I have seen many vBulletin + Wordpress installations compromised, and in a majority of cases it is Wordpress that they gained entry. If vBulletin is compromised it's normally done through an installation that is not up-to-date or through a secuirty hole of a thrird-party modification.

Leave a comment:

• ryan1918
    replied
    "People are more likely to signup with URLJet that have just bought a vBulletin license, why because URLJet will install it for them for free, saving them $150 straight away"

How does that save them $150 from installing it, and who in the world would charge someone $150 to install vBulletin? Any customers that I have had, I haven't charged them a dime to do it, If someone charged more than $25 to install it I would think they were trying to rip them off, but if someone can charge $150 to install/setup the software, than all means go for it, I sure never would do it. The most I would charge is for moving a large site with a ton of files, like recently I moved a vBulletin site that had 6GB mysql database, with over 60,000 files, total was about 12GB of data, which I charged $40 to transfer/move/setup which is probably cheap but I don't mind as it's not very hard to do, but I'm sure I could of got away with charging at least $80-100.

I just did a google search and found this for example.

They charge $20 to install it, now I would see that be a normal rate for any company or in that range, but any higher would be a rip off in my eyes. But just about any host that wants to get a new customer or transferred from another company would be willing to setup/install there software for them, as long as it's not a big issue.

Leave a comment:

• Shamil.
    replied
    I may not have the necessary experience, but I know someone who has. URLJet's founder may be joining my team as product manager.

Leave a comment:

• syrus.xl
    replied
    Originally posted by ryan1918
    People think because they mention there servers are designed for VBULLETIN they jump on it, but there is no set way to do that, but let people keep paying a lot for something they are getting with any other company.
    Ryan, servers are not designed for vBulletin - that's not a true statement. They state they are setup to run vBulletin at the best possible speed, there is a big difference from what you offer and what URLJet offers. What they provide is suipport on a level that exceeds many others, you do not see services like custom vBulletin modifications or design with other hosting companies, well I have yet to see it. How about vBulletin Server Optimization? Where else do you see that apart from on here, done mainly by staff. Their prices are higher than most hosts but then again you get what you pay for these days, it's not the same as taking out a package with the likes of Hostgator, etc.

You certainly do not see the word 'Unlimited' used anywhere on their site - they provide exactly what they state, nothing less. Since I have been with them, my hosting has increased in speed even though it was faster than anything I had been with before and that is quite a few of the largest hosting companies in the world. However they have their servers tweaked to run quicker than most, probably via LiteSpeed, I know mine is in the WHM. But I have tweaked it further than when I first got it for my own development purposes. One forum I use even showed me how to tweak my server even more, but I am not mentioning which forum that is on here - but they have some very clever guys that tweak servers way beyond anything I have ever seen.

People are more likely to signup with URLJet that have just bought a vBulletin license, why because URLJet will install it for them for free, saving them $150 straight away. Any updates they will also do for free, but they do not just stop there they provide you with support that covers virtually anything that is vBulletin related, including 3rd party modifications, commercial modifications. Anyone that is new to vBulletin and does not understand or want to learn how it all works just leaves it in their hands, they take care of it all.

I, on the other hand very rarely submit support tickets - I have been with vBulletin for over 5 years, released modifications over on vBulletin.org and have numerous forums running, only one is not vBulletin. I know my data is safe, not just daily backups like most hosts but hourly backups - this is one feature I like and I have used it twice since being with them. I always remember a client of mine that was with one hosting company that stated daily backups were made, it wasn't until her site went down and she asked for a restore that she found out they had done no backups at all.

Yes, I pay more than most for my hosting, but from what I have experienced in the past year or so, it has been worth every penny!

Leave a comment:

• ryan1918
    replied
    Originally posted by DelphiVillage
    urljet is overpriced you just pay to much there who needs vBulletin install/upgrades anaway
    People think because they mention there servers are designed for VBULLETIN they jump on it, but there is no set way to do that, but let people keep paying a lot for something they are getting with any other company.

Leave a comment:

• DelphiVillage
    replied
    urljet is overpriced you just pay to much there who needs vBulletin install/upgrades anaway

Leave a comment:

• ryan1918
    replied
    Yeah, completely agree.

Leave a comment:

• Shamil.
    replied
    Originally posted by ryan1918
    I would stick with a smaller company that is going to actually work with you when you need it, and provide you what you should be getting instead of you being a Number they can actually know you by name.
    Sometimes smaller hosts are better, though I don't know what that category is.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...