X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ramya108
    • Feb 2009
    • 3.8.x

VPS or semi-dedicated

What do you think, which solution is the best for a middle-sized Vbulletin forum: semi-dedicated or VPS?
    Croatian forum about healthy living and holistic medicine
    www.alternativa-forum.com
  • mainstreamnet
    • Jun 2009
    • 3.8.x

Probably vps depending on the resources you use.
    mainstreamnetworks.net
    Instant setup vps
    Setup in less then 5 minutes.
    2-4 hour dedicated server setup.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
      • Mar 2005

Semi dedicated kind off is VPS... It is either dedicated, VPS, Cloud or shared. Reseller hosting is shared hosting if purchased as reseller hosting.

Answering your question... mid sized forum you would want VPS at a minimum or cloud hosting. Cloud actually seems to be the more promising way to go with forum hosting the more I read into it... you pay for what you use. When you need massive CPU or RAM, it is instantly available... when you don't, your not paying for it.

Comment

• Ramya108
        • Feb 2009
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by anthonyparsons
        Semi dedicated kind off is VPS... It is either dedicated, VPS, Cloud or shared. Reseller hosting is shared hosting if purchased as reseller hosting.

Answering your question... mid sized forum you would want VPS at a minimum or cloud hosting. Cloud actually seems to be the more promising way to go with forum hosting the more I read into it... you pay for what you use. When you need massive CPU or RAM, it is instantly available... when you don't, your not paying for it.
        Great, thank you very much, anthonyparsons!
        Cloud hosting seems very promising. If you know some good provider in Europe, please let me know.

Comment

• George L
          Former vBulletin Support
          • May 2000
          • 3.8.x

Like anthongparsons stated, really depends on the hardware specifications of the server doing the sharing. With reputable hosts you'll get the appropriate amount of resources divided for either VPS or semi-dedicated. The terms are less distinct these days as a VPS could be a server shared by 50 or 100 VPS accounts, and semi-dedicated could still be VPS based but with a server sharing 4-8 VPS accounts.
          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• R1lover
            • Apr 2006
            • 3.8.x

Semi dedicated will work as long as you trust your provider.... Semi dedicated is basically rather then running thousands of sites on a server, they run only a few... I have offered this service for a long time now... Depending on the sites I normally run 3-6 good size forums... or 20-50 small ones. When the load average reaches about .75 on average, then I stop putting sites on that server. They run great and the customers love the service.

But you have to know and trust your provider.... At teh same time you will find providers that fill up a server with hundreds of VPS's and your performance will suffer.... while some only put 20-50 vps on a box.

It's all about your host, you can't compare packages from one to another as there are too many things that are different.... different server specs, different mentality of what is good service etc....
            www.yamaha-forum.net | www.exactservers.com | www.ducati-superbikes.com | www.suzuki-forums.net | www.diavel-forum.com

Comment

• Ramya108
              • Feb 2009
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by R1lover
              Semi dedicated will work as long as you trust your provider.... Semi dedicated is basically rather then running thousands of sites on a server, they run only a few... I have offered this service for a long time now... Depending on the sites I normally run 3-6 good size forums... or 20-50 small ones. When the load average reaches about .75 on average, then I stop putting sites on that server. They run great and the customers love the service.
              This is so true.
              Today I found out that there are about 200 websited on the same server with me. I mean, why do I have to pay 50$ for such semi-dedicated hosting?

I use Westnic semi-dedicated right now (SD1) package and I am totally frustrated with them.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...