Basic hosting system requirements guide?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ehmax
    • Dec 2004
    • 3.7.x

Basic hosting system requirements guide?

Hi there. Is there any sort of guideline or resource as to recommended hosting system requirements?

When I go out to buy a program or an operating system, the product has some system requirements.

I realize that vBulletin is different, but surely after all the years of running there can be some basic guidelines on server recommendations?

For example:
    vBulletin 3.8x
    100-250 current users
    Recommended minimum X Server hardware / software configuration

vBulletin 3.8
    250-500 current users
    Recommended minimum X Server hardware / software configuration

Or even an article on choosing server with some guidelines on processor speed, or how important drive speed or amount of ram is needed.

Maybe there is a resource already that I'm just not finding.

I realize there are so many scenarios and variables, but right now I'd be happy just to know some basic ballparks and guidelines.
    ehMac.ca: Canada's Mac Community!.vBulletin v.3.7.5
  • royo
    • Jan 2005
    • 3.7.x

The current way is you post your configs, get them optimized, and if it is still slow, you upgrade.
    Oppressed.

Comment

• ehmax
      • Dec 2004
      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by royo
      The current way is you post your configs, get them optimized, and if it is still slow, you upgrade.
      Which unfortunately, really doesn't work well for me. My site is currently running with an organization that has many more resources than myself. It's a very high end server and its running the forum no problem hardware wise. I am going to be running the site on my own and need to get a better idea of what server hardware I need.

I am going to be contracting out a vBulletin admin who has years of running vBulletin so let's assume that vBulletin will be running optimized, and will also be going with a very reputable, fully managed web host provider.

I need to pick a server, and I'm trying to get some basic guidance. With the web host, I can always upgrade to a faster server if I need to, but want to get in the right ball park to start.
      ehMac.ca: Canada's Mac Community!.vBulletin v.3.7.5

Comment

• royo
        • Jan 2005
        • 3.7.x

For ehMac, I'd definitely go for a quad core, with at least 4GB of RAM and some SATA drives in RAID-5 or RAID-10. Hope you're not getting into any contracts or paying too much with your reputable provider .
        Oppressed.

Comment

• eUKhost.com
          • Aug 2007

Hope this thread helps
          Website Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Hosting
          Email & MSN: [email protected]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...