X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wii
    • Sep 2000
    • 3.8.x

Hostgator Problems

I'm having problems with my forum hosted at Hostgator, often the forum hangs and I need to click several times on a link for anything to happen, sometimes it can be 10 to 20 seconds before the page shows. Is there anything I can do to help my host identifying the problem ? It's so random that it's really hard to report anything.

I read something about MySql slow query times, is that something I can check or my host.

Please advice,

Thanks
  • bigwater
    • Jan 2007

Overall server performance isn't going to be determined by what you are doing on your forum, how your site is tuned, how your queries are tuned, etc. It's going to be determined by the cumulative activity of all websites on the server. Hostgator may have 250 or more sites on that one server, and if some of those sites have heavy I/O at times, your site will suffer during those times. Your host can easily identify the problem if they want to, but they don't want to. They just want to stuff as many sites on one server as they can to rake in as much revenue as possible.

You can ask them to move you to a less crowded server. They may, or may not oblige the request. You can also look for a host that doesn't intentionally oversell their server space, but that's getting hard to find in shared hosting environments as more and more companies are trying to squeeze every dime out of their investment.

Shared hosting has always been a gamble, and the odds are getting worse and worse as time goes on. The good news is that VPS services and even dedicated hosting are getting much more affordable.
    Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

• wii
      • Sep 2000
      • 3.8.x

Yeah, maybe it's time to upgrade to VPS, I really had been happy about Hostgator, but the last few months have been terrible, slow performance and there's nothing they can't (won't) do.

Comment

• nexialys
        • May 2004
        • 1.1.x

before looking at the VPS, what are the products/addons you have on your site?... we have no detail yet, so we can not help to see where is the problem... Hostgator's servers are all answering prerequisites for vBulletin and higher, so it's not the machine. as bigwater say, it may be too much concurents on your own machine that would use too much i/o... you can always contact the live support so they check your server performances... they are quick to advise.
        oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• eUKhost.com
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by wii
          I'm having problems with my forum hosted at Hostgator, often the forum hangs and I need to click several times on a link for anything to happen, sometimes it can be 10 to 20 seconds before the page shows. Is there anything I can do to help my host identifying the problem ? It's so random that it's really hard to report anything.

I read something about MySql slow query times, is that something I can check or my host.

Please advice,

Thanks
          If you get slow website speeds and MySQL connection problems on a shared hosting package, then there is no other option to upgarde. VPS would be perfectly fine to monitor your resources and usage.
          Website Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Hosting
          Email & MSN: [email protected]

Comment

• wii
            • Sep 2000
            • 3.8.x

Yeah, I'm looking into this.

Comment

• Ammiddeon
              • Jul 2009
              • 1.1.x

Hostgator Problems

Hi out there i gonna buy amember, but first i have a very simpel question, can i use hostgator as my hosting.And if yes, should i contact the hosting to get ioncube or zend installede or is it alleready installed?Thanks an hope for fast help

Comment

• nexialys
                • May 2004
                • 1.1.x

ok, you have good luck to ask here, but see, you're talking about aMember... look at the url you're at... wrong place
                oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• harrysmith
                  • Jan 2008

@wii :
                  Have you checked if you have well optimized databases, if not try to optimize then using cPanel. If you are using cPanel then you can optimize databases using PhpMyAdmin tool which comes a part of cPanel.
                  Login phpMyAdmin >> select database name >> Tick the tables you wish to optimize >> choose Optimize table.
                  If you don't have huge traffic then no need to go with VPS, i think shared hosting will also serve your purpose.... if you manage to optimize your databases.
                  VPS would be the best option though !!! Or Just change your hosting service provider Go with someone who have better server and offer you enough server resources.

@Ammiddeon
                  There are thousands of webhosts around just search for a reliable one who will support you for all your tech issues round the clock. usually ioncube or zend installer are preinstalled on server but its better to crosscheck about it.

Comment

• alemcherry
                    • Jun 2006

Unless you have high traffic, like a 100 concurrent users, there is no need to move to a VPS. The question is whether it is an overloaded server or you have too much traffic to fit into a shared host. I guess it is former, and if so ask your host to move to another server or find another host.
                    Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

• Greek76
                      • Sep 2006
                      • 3.6.x

With hostgator I chose their Business plan which was like 15 dollars a month and never had a problem. With the smaller plans my forum used to lag a lot. Just a thought.
                      Acrow Host

Comment

• wii
                        • Sep 2000
                        • 3.8.x

VPS might be overkill for my site, but the performance is so much better, it's like the site is hosted locally on my harddisk, that's how fast it is.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...