X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • veenuisthebest
    • Mar 2008
    • 3.8.x

Self Hosting, anybody?

Just wondering, anybody has setup server at home and hosting their live website?

I read few articles about self-hosting and found it really interesting. Though its not an easy job to do, but at the same time it could be easy enough and cost saver too, if you're an experienced server admin and have sufficient resources at home. wat say?

Here's a nice article here, old but worth a read.
  • steven s
    • Jul 2004
    • 3.8.x

I think it would be slow as ....
    ...steven
    www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
    bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
    "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• bigwater
      • Jan 2007

It depends on your pipe.

I've set up a couple of sites for people running out of their living room. It will work fine if you have a fat pipe (fiber) running into your house and can get a static IP (or three) from your ISP... and if your ISP will allow the traffic.

I envision the day when we'll all be running our own servers in our homes. It's just a matter of time as the infrastructure develops. Personally I'm in an area where I don't have access to fiber yet... my bandwidth is limited to 12MB/s down and 756k up... so I won't be serving up any web pages out of the house any time soon, but a lot of people are in the OC3 and OC12 connection speeds with their home connections, so there's no reason they can't serve up their own sites (provided they know what they're doing).
      Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

• eUKhost.com
        • Aug 2007

The main limitation will be your upload speed (uplink speed). Hosting your website in a well known Datacenter is highly recommended where you get highly redundant solution. Having multiple ISP connection for servers will give you a reduntant network if one of the line goes down.
        Website Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Hosting
        Email & MSN: [email protected]

Comment

• john2k
          • Jul 2000

While I don't believe it's generally a good idea to host websites from home, it is definitely possible and rather easy to do. No different than how you would manage a dedicated server remotely.

Install your preferred operating system, configure the server and when you're ready go an forward incoming port 80 to your webserver.

You would also need to have a static IP or find a way to sort that out. In addition, if email is important, you would want your IP to be designated as web hosting use and not personal web access use.
          ...john2k...

Comment

• Winterfell
            • Feb 2009

I run vBulletin on my home computer, and it's accessible from the web. I use XAMPP for MySQL and Apache and DynDNS to handle the domain name with my dynamic IP.

The only caveat is, this isn't a "live" forum as such. This is merely a forum I use to develop themes on. The only reason I have it web-accessible is so clients can view the theme I'm developing for them as work progresses on it, so bandwidth and resource usage really doesn't come into play. Thanks to DynDNS, it's easy to switch domain names if my URL leaks out onto the web and search engine spiders and non-clients start hitting my computer; it's easy to stay "hidden", in other words.

Proof of concept for those who might like to run vBulletin from their home PC.

Comment

• cellarius
              • Aug 2005
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Winterfell
              I run vBulletin on my home computer, and it's accessible from the web. I use XAMPP for MySQL and Apache and DynDNS to handle the domain name with my dynamic IP.

The only caveat is, this isn't a "live" forum as such. This is merely a forum I use to develop themes on. The only reason I have it web-accessible is so clients can view the theme I'm developing for them as work progresses on it, so bandwidth and resource usage really doesn't come into play. Thanks to DynDNS, it's easy to switch domain names if my URL leaks out onto the web and search engine spiders and non-clients start hitting my computer; it's easy to stay "hidden", in other words.

Proof of concept for those who might like to run vBulletin from their home PC.
              And unless you really really really know what you are doing and how to configure everything properly your installing yourself one big security hole on your production hardware. XAMPP is mostly setup for local use, all kinds of security issues there. I'd never even think of doing that. It may be that you took that all into consideration - but suggesting this as a "proof of concept" would not be a good idea IMHO.

Comment

• Winterfell
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by cellarius
                And unless you really really really know what you are doing and how to configure everything properly your installing yourself one big security hole on your production hardware. XAMPP is mostly setup for local use, all kinds of security issues there. I'd never even think of doing that. It may be that you took that all into consideration - but suggesting this as a "proof of concept" would not be a good idea IMHO.
                Again, it is only a proof of concept that a site can be hosted from one's computer. I do regular backups, and I've also made many changes to the default XAMPP installation settings to better ensure security. I've been running this setup for years and never had one problem.

I would think (hope) that a person who's looking to take a home-hosted site truly live and expose it to the internet at large would do a lot of research first and take all the necessary security steps. For myself, even though I'm well-experienced at hosting my development site on my own computer, I use third-party hosting services for all my sites meant to be viewed by the public at large.

Comment

• mabersoft
                  • Jun 2009
                  • 3.8.x

I tried, but failed, Also if you use BT i think you have to ring them up and so allsorts of stuff so the best way is just to get SH, VPS, DS...

Comment

• Tom_M
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 3.8.x

I host my personal website on a fedora 11 Linux machine at home and had no problems. You do have to take every precaution and check your logs regularly though.

Regards,
                    Tom

Comment

• alemcherry
                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Tom_M
                      I host my personal website on a fedora 11 Linux machine at home and had no problems. You do have to take every precaution and check your logs regularly though.

Regards,
                      Tom
                      Just wondering what sort of traffic you are having. With low uplink speed for most home connections, I dont think it is yet feasible to host a site with average traffic. Also shared hosting might be cheaper if you consider the equipment, efforts, power bill etc.
                      Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...