My dedi server might be overkill. What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bigforumfan
    • Aug 2001

My dedi server might be overkill. What do you think?

Right now I have a forum with approx 18,000 registered users, 1,000,000 posts and usually several hundred concurrent users online.

I use no more than 100 gigs of band per month.

My dedicated server (elite) with Hostgator gives me 2500 bandwidth, 4 gigs RAM, etc. It runs great I just wonder if I couldn't be paying a lot less per month for a VPS and still get the same performance.

Could a site the size of mine run just as well on a much cheaper VPS?
  • royo
    • Jan 2005
    • 3.7.x

Maybe on a premium VPS, but if you're looking at those really cheap plans and think you can make a deal you might be in for a surprise.
    Oppressed.

Comment

• eUKhost.com
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Bigforumfan
      Right now I have a forum with approx 18,000 registered users, 1,000,000 posts and usually several hundred concurrent users online.

I use no more than 100 gigs of band per month.

My dedicated server (elite) with Hostgator gives me 2500 bandwidth, 4 gigs RAM, etc. It runs great I just wonder if I couldn't be paying a lot less per month for a VPS and still get the same performance.

Could a site the size of mine run just as well on a much cheaper VPS?
      Bandwidth won't be an issue. If you can specify the exact no. of concurent users online, we can suggest you most suited hosting plan for your forum.
      Website Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Hosting
      Email & MSN: [email protected]

Comment

• nexialys
        • May 2004
        • 1.1.x

you can ask for a personalised hosting at hostgator, having a discussion with one of the techy would help, they can give a lot of information about your situation... they know vBulletin very well, their support forum is a vB and they have staff able to configure it properly too...
        oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• chick
          • Sep 2006

I have the same Elite server and run only a few sites due to one of them being a heavy forum/video upload site.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...