Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • watsloer
    • Jul 2009

Hostgator

On hostgator should i get hatchling for my developing forum then upgrade later?
  • Abomination
    • Jul 2008

That is what I did. Worked great.

Comment

• nexialys
      • May 2004
      • 1.1.x

i have 20 or 21 forums on vBulletin hosted at hostgator, and none of them requires more than a Baby package... so you're good with a hatchling until you hit enough content... it depend on your content.
      oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• alemcherry
        • Jun 2006

hatchlingis good enough untill you have a lot of traffic. No need to pay for resources you dont need, you can always upgrade as you grow.
        Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

• topvip
          • Sep 2007

how many vbulletin forums can we set up in the baby hosting?

Comment

• chick
            • Sep 2006

Next just told you how many above. You might be able to run 60/100 small sites or 5. It will all depend.

I run a few major hogs on one server due to one of them being a forum/video site. HG is a very good host.

Comment

• Jeniferc
              • Jul 2009

If you are getting a lot of traffic you should upgrade to the business package.

Comment

• DJ Biscuit
                • Jul 2009
                • 3.8.x

Host gator is a great host. I used to have 1 vBulletin forum on there but not anymore. With them you don't really need to worry about bandwidth. The package I have gives me 6TB bandwidth and they don't complain. I am using over 200gb of bandwidth per month and over 8gb of storage and I am only paying $10USD/mo.

Comment

• naoba
                  • Aug 2009

At last i've found Hostgator.

I already have a baby account in hostgator and am seriously considering to use vBulletin. I am expecting to attract at least around 80-100 users concurrently. Do you think BABY plan will still do??
                  How long will it take for vB to become xenForo?

Comment

• nexialys
                    • May 2004
                    • 1.1.x

when your baby package is becoming too small, you simply upgrade your package, no fee for upgrading, and the guys can help you on support if you need more infos...
                    oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• amy92
                      • Jul 2009

You can upgrade your package when you need to.
                      Last edited by amy92; Tue 25 Aug '09, 10:55am.

Comment

• Mountainwxman
                        • Sep 2008

I would avoid Host Gator at all costs. Here's why.

in 2010, I had a small VB board with less than 100 members which 15-20 were active at anytime. I came home one night to learn they had shut the forum down claiming too many resources are being used. I raised hell and pointed them to larger boards with the same type of hosting. They wouldn't budge, so I moved on and cancelled the account. All said and done.

Fast forward to 2013. I had forgotten about that episode when I signed up with them again only to find out my other account was still active but suspended. When I saw all of the trouble I had in 2010, I told them to close the new account and refund the charge. They closed the new account and refunded that amount but applied it to the suspended/over due account which was closed in 2011. Now, we're going back and forth over those charges. I plan to dispute it with my credit card company and file a dispute with the Better Business Bureau.

Lesson here, never conduct any type of business transaction with them. I don't recommend Host Gator for anything web related.

The review I've written is based on support tickets exchanged with Host Gator. Nothing is of personal opinion except the recommendation.

Here are the complaints from BBB: http://www.bbb.org/houston/Business-...ints#breakdown
                        Last edited by Mountainwxman; Fri 8 Mar '13, 7:13am. Reason: Adding BBB.org link.

Comment

• alemcherry
                          • Jun 2006

I understand how Mountainwxman feels about it, but that need not be common experience. I have been with them for 6 years now and have 2 baby accounts. I also recommend them to my web developement / design clients. Generally they are good, friendly staff - obviously there is CPU based limit for all overselling hosts. I would recommend posting in their peer support forum, since the tickets are not working anyway.
                          Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

• Mountainwxman
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Mountainwxman
                            I would avoid Host Gator at all costs. Here's why. in 2010, I had a small VB board with less than 100 members which 15-20 were active at anytime. I came home one night to learn they had shut the forum down claiming too many resources are being used. I raised hell and pointed them to larger boards with the same type of hosting. They wouldn't budge, so I moved on and cancelled the account. All said and done. Fast forward to 2013. I had forgotten about that episode when I signed up with them again only to find out my other account was still active but suspended. When I saw all of the trouble I had in 2010, I told them to close the new account and refund the charge. They closed the new account and refunded that amount but applied it to the suspended/over due account which was closed in 2011. Now, we're going back and forth over those charges. I plan to dispute it with my credit card company and file a dispute with the Better Business Bureau. Lesson here, never conduct any type of business transaction with them. I don't recommend Host Gator for anything web related. The review I've written is based on support tickets exchanged with Host Gator. Nothing is of personal opinion except the recommendation. Here are the complaints from BBB: http://www.bbb.org/houston/Business-...ints#breakdown
                            Update.... After raising hell with them, filing disputes with my credit card agency and better business bureau, I finally got all of my money back. It will be the stinking penny they will ever get.

Comment

• buddha69
                              buddha69 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Good for you. Hostgator is the worst. I totally agree you should avoid them.
                          widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...