Do I really need dedicated? (Will a good VPS/Semi-dedicated do?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WendyK
    • Aug 2001
    • 3.8.x

Do I really need dedicated? (Will a good VPS/Semi-dedicated do?)

I have been running a vBulletin forum for close to 8 years. For about half that time, I have been on a dedicated server, and to be quite honest, I hate the server management side and am not at all good at keeping things up to date. By reading online tutorials I have been able to secure the server well enough not to have been hacked during that time, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about my server admin abilities. I don't mind management of my own domain, vBulletin configuration and upgrades and the like, I just hate keeping the underlying server/security up to date, and I don't have the time or desire do learn to do it well.

Current hardware at The Planet:
    Pentium 4 2.8 GHz processor and 1 GB RAM, 80 GB hard drive

members: 16,000+ (the vast majority in the US)
    avg concurrent users: usually 150-200 during business hours
    database size: approx. 1 GB
    monthly bandwidth: approx. 60-70 GB (including the non-vbulletin portion of the Web site)
    budget - $200/mo max, preferably $150 or less, managed or semi-managed a HUGE plus. There are other parts of the Web site that are not vBulletin focused, but nothing fancy there that requires any unusual specs.

Our current setup has served us pretty well for several years, but I'd like to switch to new hardware before the current hardware bites the dust and I wanted to look around at my options.

I had thought that dedicated was my only option given our forum size, and fully managed dedicated is probably not in my budget (unless I'm not looking at the right hosts--suggestions welcome). However, all the recommendations for URLJet that I have seen here made me explore their hosting options, and they have recommended their semi-dedicated plan to me. They say that because their servers are optimized for vBulletin (mysql/OS tweaked for vBulletin, Intel xeon processors with 8 or 16 cores/RAID-10 storage with 15K RPM Drives, etc, minimum of 12GB error correcting memory) that their semi-dedicated plans can handle vBulletins with 300+ concurrent users w/ ease. Now if that is true, that would give me room for growth and better performance, and a managed server at a price I'm willing to pay. Their highest VPS plan is also an option for me, but URLJet says I'll get better performance and be able to utilize more resources on semi-dedicated than on VPS, and I don't need full root access, just SSH.

Is it too good to be true? Anyone here using URLJet's high end VPS or semi-dedicated plans with forums of similar size to mine? Any other similar high end VPS or semi-dedicated plans/hosts I should consider, particularly if they have servers optimized to run vBulletin? I guess I'm just trying to figure out if having servers optimized for vBulletin makes enough of a difference that I could consider moving from dedicated to semi-dedicated or VPS and rid myself of server management duties.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.
  • royo
    • Jan 2005
    • 3.7.x

They might be tweaked for vBulletin, but that just means they are optimized, which is better than running Apache and MySQL with default configs. The advantage of urljet is that they offer services for vB such as hack installs which you might need.

Semi-dedicated is most of the time just shared hosting with fewer people on the server, and unless they're limiting the resources per user somehow you can get slowed down by other sites on the server.

Management varies from company to company, so not every managed provider will do more than take care of your apache/mysql and every other backend thing. You will still be the one doing the vB updates.
    Oppressed.

Comment

• BusinessCoach
      • Apr 2007
      • 3.6.x

how much are you paying for that setup? you can get a managed dedicated with same specs or better for under 200 easily

Comment

• SuperJETT
        • Mar 2006
        • 3.5.x

I run a very similar sized site, maybe a little smaller in terms of total users but close on traffic/users online and did this exact switch a few months ago.

I was on a Softlayer dedicated for over 2 years but the server had started acting up. I contacted SL about getting moved to a different server and was told I was on a grandfathered plan, so my hosting would go up with any move. I looked into URLJet and switched to a semi-dedicated with them at the end of January and it has been a great move so far, plus about $30 cheaper per month.

Once I was moved, I contacted Softlayer about cancelling the account and they finally offered a discount, though on the same server (which was the whole reason behind the move). I declined as I had already moved everything.

After 2 months with URLJet on a monthly plan I went ahead and paid up 6 months and got 2 months free, so the monthly cost went WAY down compared to SL, plus the website is actually more responsive and I have less work in terms of maintaining the server.

Very very pleased with our switch.

EDIT: we've had zero downtime so far (knock on wood)

Originally posted by WendyK
        I have been running a vBulletin forum for close to 8 years. For about half that time, I have been on a dedicated server, and to be quite honest, I hate the server management side and am not at all good at keeping things up to date. By reading online tutorials I have been able to secure the server well enough not to have been hacked during that time, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about my server admin abilities. I don't mind management of my own domain, vBulletin configuration and upgrades and the like, I just hate keeping the underlying server/security up to date, and I don't have the time or desire do learn to do it well.

Current hardware at The Planet:
        Pentium 4 2.8 GHz processor and 1 GB RAM, 80 GB hard drive

members: 16,000+ (the vast majority in the US)
        avg concurrent users: usually 150-200 during business hours
        database size: approx. 1 GB
        monthly bandwidth: approx. 60-70 GB (including the non-vbulletin portion of the Web site)
        budget - $200/mo max, preferably $150 or less, managed or semi-managed a HUGE plus. There are other parts of the Web site that are not vBulletin focused, but nothing fancy there that requires any unusual specs.

Our current setup has served us pretty well for several years, but I'd like to switch to new hardware before the current hardware bites the dust and I wanted to look around at my options.

I had thought that dedicated was my only option given our forum size, and fully managed dedicated is probably not in my budget (unless I'm not looking at the right hosts--suggestions welcome). However, all the recommendations for URLJet that I have seen here made me explore their hosting options, and they have recommended their semi-dedicated plan to me. They say that because their servers are optimized for vBulletin (mysql/OS tweaked for vBulletin, Intel xeon processors with 8 or 16 cores/RAID-10 storage with 15K RPM Drives, etc, minimum of 12GB error correcting memory) that their semi-dedicated plans can handle vBulletins with 300+ concurrent users w/ ease. Now if that is true, that would give me room for growth and better performance, and a managed server at a price I'm willing to pay. Their highest VPS plan is also an option for me, but URLJet says I'll get better performance and be able to utilize more resources on semi-dedicated than on VPS, and I don't need full root access, just SSH.

Is it too good to be true? Anyone here using URLJet's high end VPS or semi-dedicated plans with forums of similar size to mine? Any other similar high end VPS or semi-dedicated plans/hosts I should consider, particularly if they have servers optimized to run vBulletin? I guess I'm just trying to figure out if having servers optimized for vBulletin makes enough of a difference that I could consider moving from dedicated to semi-dedicated or VPS and rid myself of server management duties.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Comment

• dannyw1
          • Apr 2009
          • 3.8.x

i could manage your server for you

Comment

• maidos
            • Jul 2006

well u can try this company
            i ordered 8 boxes because of their cheap price

Quad Core Xeon Server - Intel Xeon 5420
            Quad Core Dual Processor Intel Xeon 5420
            2.5 Ghz X 4
            8 GB Kingston Fully Buffered Ram
            250 GB Seagate Hard Drive (16 MB Cache)
            1500 GB Premium Bandwidth
            Remote Reboot
            Linux or Windows Server
            8 IP Addresses
            100% Network, Power, Cooling Uptime SLA
            24 Hours Setup
            Self Managed
            $149/mo

ReliableSite.Net

or
            Intel C2Quad Q9550
            4GB DDR2 RAM
            1x 500GB Sata2 hotswap ($10/m for 2x500GB Sata2, RAID1 free!)
            2000GB traffic
            Managed SLA #1
            24/7 NOC support
            FREE DirectAdmin
            $99/m
            [email protected]

Comment

• deatheyes
              • Aug 2005
              • 3.6.x

Use dedicated with raid 1 HDD

Network theplanet is fast but support too slow
              Softlayer support better
              Optimize your website
              Cool Wallpaper
              All Android Rom

Comment

• Zoro
                • Nov 2007
                • 3.8.x

I use softlayer for my dedicated server and the best management company is http://www.platinumservermanagement.com/ fully managed for only 29 bucks a month. I am on a 9.95 a month plan ( 3 tickets a month and monitoring) They only manage a server that has a Linux OS and cPanel.

Comment

• bhanuprasad1981
                  • Apr 2007
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Toxic
                  I use softlayer for my dedicated server and the best management company is http://www.platinumservermanagement.com/ fully managed for only 29 bucks a month. I am on a 9.95 a month plan ( 3 tickets a month and monitoring) They only manage a server that has a Linux OS and cPanel.
                  yes i am with you , they are professionals and i use them past 6 months pm me if you are interested in their service at good price

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...