Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • carodry
    • Feb 2009

BlueHost and vBulletin

Does anyone host with BlueHost? If so, have you tried installing vBulletin on their servers?
  • Scotlandgal
    • Feb 2009
    • 3.7.x

Hello Carodry,
    Boy do I have experience with bluehost. Bluehost was my fist host using vbulletin software. I thought thier customer service was very nice, however, they have no clue about vbulletin or any forum software for that matter. I started having alot of problems with thier servers being down a lot and at that time I didn't know much about host and tech stuff, I kept think it was something I was doing. I kept calling them back every 12 hours trying to get my forum back online. Even though it showed "green" lights in the control panel for servers being on, they were not come to find out and I'll I kept hearing is that they are having tech problems, this went on for over a month. Once their server issues were resolved, I had to re-install most of my vb software and start over again. So what I can say about Bluehost is that they are nice, but have no clue about vbulletin software. I was transfered at least 10 times and several hours and none of the guys really knew much of anything about forums. Again, this went on for a good month or so.

Next I went with a local person I got from vbbulletin.com. That was a complete nightmare.

I was surfing the net for a new host and came across a Gun Forum, I asked the admin if they were happy with their host, URLjet.com. They guy emailed me back with nothing but good things to say. I was reluctant to sign up but I just needed a piece of mind after everything I've gone through with hosts and I didn't care how much it cost at that time. I guess that was about 4 months ago now. I wish I had found urljet a long time ago. They have been more than fantastic. I really don't know what I would have done without them. They install mods very quickly and have the best customer service I've ever encountered online for anything technical.

I DO NOT normally give kudos to any company but I cannot say enough about urljet.com. It's really a great piece of mind, a huge weight of my shoulders most of all. I can sort of take a deep breath and relax when it comes to my forum now.

Thank you and goodluck with Bluehost. I hope you are very tech savey because they aren't when it comes to forum software.

Michelle

Comment

• frogsong
      • Jan 2009

Yeah, I'm hosting with bluehost right now and having nothing but problems so I'm looking for something better.
      My forum is only three weeks old and already over 900 members.

Comment

• glennybee
        • Feb 2008
        • 3.7.x

I used HostGator.com for my first forum and didn't have a single compaint about them. They helped me set up my database and get the install script to connect to it (I know I was just starting lol).

Comment

• gigapros
          • May 2008
          • 3.7.x

Whenever you find a host of your choice (like bluehost, hostgator etc.), simply ask them whether they have experience with vB. It will clarify the situation.
          GigaPros.com -- vBulletin Optimized Hosting with LiteSpeed!
          ZERO Overselling Enforced WebHosting. SEE HOW…
          FREE Site Transfer |24x7 True Support (Phone, Chat, Tickets)
          We host high traffic vB. See this example with 1.5 Millon posts!

Comment

• Redseal
            • May 2007

I use bluehost and don't have any problems with them. It may be a problem if you have more then a few hundred members online at any given time. My forums are small though so it suits me. When I get to the point where I have alot of online users I'm going to switch to a vps or something that can handle it.

I was also stumbled upon/dugg during the last week and the forums were still fast as can be with lots of users checking things out.
            I love lamp

Comment

• Hasuist
              • Oct 2007
              • 3.6.x

I've had BlueHost... I did like their tech support team, but that was it for me. I would suggest URLjet or FastDomain. FD was pretty good when it came to a forum, that's if you got the right support guy for the job.

Comment

• gigapros
                • May 2008
                • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Hasuist
                I would suggest URLjet or FastDomain.
                By the way, Fast Domain is the same as Blue host...which is same as Host Monster.
                All of those companies are run by the same person "Matt Heaton".
                GigaPros.com -- vBulletin Optimized Hosting with LiteSpeed!
                ZERO Overselling Enforced WebHosting. SEE HOW…
                FREE Site Transfer |24x7 True Support (Phone, Chat, Tickets)
                We host high traffic vB. See this example with 1.5 Millon posts!

Comment

• Amiga Harrison
                  • Nov 2006
                  • 3.8.x

I had been using bluehost for my forum since 2006 and hadn't had many problems other than the server being down a couple of times, and no replies when I email support to find out why.

But last week I decided to stop using Bluehost and move to a new host. The reason was simple. I tried to access my forum to find that Bluehost had suspended my account. On opening a support ticket I was informed that my forum was using too many of the server's shared system resources and was causing stability issues.

My forum isn't large my any means, with about 700 members and only ever 10-20 members logged in at any time, and the DB size is quite small at just under 50MB.

In further communication that tried to state that the forum was generating excessive mysql queries that was making their mysql server unstable. But checking the logs didn't show this at all, and most of the cron jobs on my forum are disabled as they are not needed.

So I don't recommend Bluehost for vBulletin hosting any more. They used to be good, but they are now over subscribing and this is forcing them to keep closing down any accounts who are actually tryingto use the services they are advertising.
                  Retro Amiga gaming. Come visit us as http://www.classicamiga.com

Comment

• Shaheen
                    • Oct 2007
                    • 3.8.x

Bluehost & Hostmonster are the same ,As far my experience they are only good for websites not for forums because of limited mysql connections, Most of the time your forum will be down.
                    I am also URLJET Client from last more than six month.I never worried , They manage every thing for me ,There hosting is amazing , there servers are much faster and they also have file guardian which create hourly backup of my account .I will Suggest URLJET

Comment

• alemcherry
                      • Jun 2006

Bluehost and Hostmonster are reasonably good. Obviously there will be few not so happy customers, which is the case with most cheap shared hosts. If you are not technically inclined, hostgator would be a better option as they provide good support for the price they charge. Liquidweb would be ideal if you don't mind spending a bit extra.
                      Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

• mgaidia
                        • Aug 2006

always remember to ask how many mysql simultaneous connections they allow
                        i recommend going with a hosting company that doesnt oversell

Comment

• amjadz4
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by mgaidia
                          always remember to ask how many mysql simultaneous connections they allow
                          i recommend going with a hosting company that doesnt oversell
                          I asked Hostmonster. They said we have only 50 mysql simultaneous connections
                          Vote for the development of vBulletin - WordPress Integration Plugin
                          Come on people, lets get this plugin made! Put 3 votes! :up:

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...