X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ac1d1dty
    • Jul 2008

General help :o

Hi all

I have got 2 vbulletin licenses and have 2 forums (one new).

Its the old one I have a problem with. It has started to grow a fair bit now and I obviously need to upgrade. The question is: can I host my own server? I know I sound like a total noob, and you are right, im in the wrong part of the pool.

Only reason I ask about own server is that I have a Quad Core Q9550, 8Gb DDR2, 2x1tb SATA II pc that I no longer really use (am traveling a fair bit at the moment).

I think the hardware should be enough to run a vbulletin forum, but its the internet capabilities that I wonder if I have.

My internet at home is crap (I get only 120kbps downstream and 14kbps upstream), but a local school said I could use theirs (I helped them out once). Their internet is only 3400kbps downstream but has 9000kbps upstream. Its a constant speed.

Is this still to slow? Should I go for a dedicated server and any advice? Ive seen loads but they all seem to offer different things.

Thanks (sorry for wording so badly).

P.s most of my visitors are from my country which is small.
  • royo
    • Jan 2005
    • 3.7.x

Hosting it at a school means limiting your access, and whenever they have a problem with internet or electricity, you have a problem. I guess you could take this road if you are trying to go the cheap route.
    Oppressed.

Comment

• ac1d1dty
      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by royo
      Hosting it at a school means limiting your access, and whenever they have a problem with internet or electricity, you have a problem. I guess you could take this road if you are trying to go the cheap route.
      Its not a case of wanting to go cheap, but rather I cant seem to find any that offer any sort of price that is palatable.

I would prefer not to use the school (if anything goes wrong, I can get some hosting dude to sort it ), and am not convinced that the speed is fast enough

Cheers

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...