X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Evil-Extreme
    • Aug 2008
    • 3.7.x

What is The Best Server ?

I am trying to own vBulletin Server , Many of the people says that Shared Hosting kicks Boards with more than 96000 members , So i planned to Host my vBulletin Forum at my Home , Which Kind of Server is the best to host a vBulletin forum ( Single ) and I decided to use Cent OS running vBulletin , Can any one Help me choosing a server ?

Thankyou
    Marc Tom
  • royo
    • Jan 2005
    • 3.7.x

Chances are your home connection is way too weak to host websites, not to mention your ISP might not even allow you to do that, and then there's power redundancy which you don't have, as opposed to a proper datacenter and a lot of other things that you probably didn't account for.
    Oppressed.

Comment

• Vindictive
      • Jun 2008
      • 3.6.x

I'd get a VPS or dedicated server.

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

You can get the best server you want at home. Your upstream is the bottleneck, with 100K users you imply to have 100+ online users at all times. Your upstream of your ISP will need to carry this. A docsis2 cable account with 2mbit or higher is recommended.
        Note that all dedicated servers online have at least 10mbit up, dedicated. Which is connected to a gbit internel network with switches, routers, load balancers, right up into a backbone internet connection. While your home connection even though around 2 to 10mbit upstream, is a shared line with other consumers that has to go through central points into the ISP, from where it eventually gets onto the internet's backbones. They're optimized for downstream service, not up.

Something to keep in mind.

I think you can start with a shared solution while you gather donations from your community. Then invest into a VPS with an upgrade. And if your forum really takes off get a bigger VPS or a dedicated solution.

Yes, some s* providers really say they give you everything for $2/month, but they limit resources and suspend accounts, etc. These days with this much shared hosting competition, I'd almost say that shared hosting is not even an option for any online application you wish to run, static html pages is for shared hosting. The rest should start with a VPS - but that's just me.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...